Key fob programming

tekone

TDI
Jetta, '02, Galactic Blue
Does anyone know the programming procedure for an '02 Jetta TDI. I bought it used and the "Used Car Dealer" gave me a new fob that was keyed to turn the cylinder but not "learned". I only have the valet key that will start the car. I now have 2 fobs that need programming and only the valet key that will start it. The "Used Car Dealer" that I bought it from has the Vag-com and stated that he would program it for me when he obtained the correct adapter. I called him again yesterday and he said that it requires a special code from VW. Is this true? He mentioned that he would do it if he had the correct info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neel

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 04, white
My dealer can order another fob for $115 (I needed a third key), but I don't know about reprogramming. Ask
a VW dealer. Good luck.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know the programming procedure for an '02 Jetta TDI. I bought it used and the "Used Car Dealer" gave me a new fob that was keyed to turn the cylinder but not "learned". I only have the valet key that will start the car. I now have 2 fobs that need programming and only the valet key that will start it. The "Used Car Dealer" that I bought it from has the Vag-com and stated that he would program it for me when he obtained the correct adapter. I called him again yesterday and he said that it requires a special code from VW. Is this true? He mentioned that he would do it if he had the correct info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
to bad we dont know where you are from or we could possibly help you out.

tekone

TDI
Frank, Sorry for not including that info. I am from SE Michigan specifically Macomb. I purchased the car from Autohaus in Royal Oak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

marshalgene

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Silver
I bought both a remote key blank and a valet key blank on Ebay. The remote cost $40 + shipping, the Valet $20 including shipping. I got them both laser cut at my dealer for $20 each. They wanted $55 to program it, but I programmed the remote myself in 2 minutes following the instructions available on VWVortex. I will try to post the link in a few minutes.

tekone

TDI
Thanks for the info but I only have the Valet key that will start the vehicle. I received a switchblade with the car that was laser cut but not programmed. I also purchased another switchblade remote on ebay and I need that one programmed as well. I read somewhere in the forums about using the vag-com when only one working key exists. The used car dealer where I bought the vehicle has the vag-com but claims that programming at least on the '02 requires special code from VW or something like that.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Sounds like he's talking about the SKC code. Normally, the original buyer gets it with the car keys.

If your 'used car dealer' has a VagCom and a relationship with a VW dealer, then he needs to:
1. connect the Vagcom to the car.
2. access the instrument cluster.
3. Write down the immobilizer/cluster serial number.
4. Call a dealer (that he has the relationship with) and give this number plus the VIN for the car. He will need to get back the immobilizer code, the date, the workshop code for the dealer and perhaps the importer number.
5. He can then log into the immobilizer with the code, date and other numbers and 'adapt' the keys.

Once the number is acquired, it takes less than 5 minutes to do everything.

tekone

TDI
Thanks weedeater, hopefully the used car dealer will have this relationship. I do by the way happen to be very close friends with the son of a VW executive. Do you think that he might be a good source if the used car dealer does not have this relationship?