No "low oil pressure" idiot light at oil change

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Re: No \"low oil pressure\" idiot light at oil change

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyPup:
BTW, it only comes on if you are over 1,500 rpm anyhow, below that it does NOT work or let you know you have NO Oil pressure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's bogus. Mine DOES come on for a few seconds after an oil & filter change

[This message has been edited by Ric Woodruff (edited June 14, 2000).]

valois

Banned

I know that the A3's have a dual switch setup, the low pressure switch is located on the head to the right. The High pressure switch is monitored at 2000 rpm to insure adequate pressure.

Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Sportwagon TDI

My A4 manual specifically states that the oil pressure is only monitored when engine rpm's are > 1500.

Thus, with the TDI, you can drive around all day with no oil (as long as you stay below 1500 rpm
(no comment)), and you won't get an idiot light.

You also won't get an idiot light when starting the engine after an oil change because the rpm's are too low.

There must be some reverse Polish logic in this German engineering.

Eddy

On one of the times that I was checking for leaks (had my wife looking while I started it up) after I installed my bypass filter the oil light and buzzer came on after about 15 seconds of idle! Lo and behold I for got to plug the sensor in! I can't remember if I was starting to rev the engine up or not but what bothered me was that it took that long with out any signal to give me the warning (ie.) too late!

------------------
99.5 Golf TDI GLS Candy White w/lux & Amsoil Bypass Filter

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg

Also, when you first start the engine after you change the oil, don't hit the go pedal until the pressure goes up. There won't be that much oil in the turbo bearings initially.
I hope VW techs do this too. They probably don't give the oil changes to the experienced people.

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
No \"low oil pressure\" idiot light at oil change

I changed my oil in my NB TDI with Amsoil BE-90 bypass filter. I did not remove the bypass filter because I didn't have the correct size oil filter wrench, so I changed the oil and regular full flow oil filter despite the remaining 1 quart of dirty oil in the bypass filter.

I was surprised that the OIL PRESSURE idiot light did not come on at all. I am used to seeing it come on for a few seconds on all the previous cars I have owned. I specifically look for the light to come on and wait a few seconds for it to go out. It always goes out, but if it does not then I need shut off the engine immediately.

I wonder if the 1 quart of oil in the bypass filter caused this improvement? Or maybe the light bulb is out?

S

SkyPup

Don't forget the almost 500 mls of old waste oil laying in the bottom of your oil filter housing in the oil cooler, that probably primed the pump enough to keep the dreaded low oil pressure idiot light off. BTW, it only comes on if you are over 1,500 rpm anyhow, below that it does NOT work or let you know you have NO Oil pressure.

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg

Damn!
I need to buy an oil pressure gauge!

S

SkyPup

Everyone should pay close attention to the sound of the hydraulic valve lifters upon startup after an oil change to make sure that everything went as planned and indeed YES, you did install the oil drain plug prior to adding the oil.
If the lifters continue clanking more than three seconds or so, time to rethink the situation fast!

S

SkyPup

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ric Woodruff:
That's bogus. Mine DOES come on for a few seconds after an oil & filter change

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RIC------>>>>>YOUR IDOT LIGHT IS ON AGAIN
LOL
There really is no limit to what you don't know about your TDI!

Ric Woodruff

A fact is a fact - you can't change the fact that my engine detects low oil pressure, EVEN AT IDLE, and flashes the oil light for about 5 seconds after an oil & filter change.

Anyone else notice this?

S

SkyPup

Do these lights flash in your mind only while you are in the Jetta TDI with no oil pressure or do they flash in your mind all day and night irregardless of where you are?

Ric Woodruff

Maybe they call them "idiot lights" because you have to be an idiot to not notice them!!!

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon

I changed my oil and filter last week, and noticed the same thing!! No oil pressure light!!!! So what is the right answer, does it not work below 1500 r.p.m.(seems really stupid if true), or does VW have a problem with the switches or wiring??

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature

Are you getting AR again ?

Will the world come to an end because the engineers decided that under 1500rpm the light has to stay out ? And if you want me to shock with no-oil-startup scenarios, then I have the reply "The fate of that specific car was already sealed, regardless of 1500rpm lights!"

S

SkyPup

Hey Ric, next time you see an "Idiot Light" in your minds eye, simply refer to Fred's TDI Forums FAQ's for the light to finally go out for once!!
LOL

Of course, if you ever do read our FAQ's, you'll become a TDI Legend in Your Own Mind!

"The A4 engine also enjoys a new oil pump, vacuum pump and water pump drive system with the elimination of the auxiliary drive shaft as found in earlier A3 engines. The familiar water pump thermostat housing that has been on the earlier VW 4-cylinder engine designs for the last 23 years is replaced with housings cast integral with the block and a plastic impeller pump. With the elimination of the intermediate shaft, the oil pump is moved up to the front of the engine and driven by chain from the crank. A spring loaded tensioner takes up any slack in the chain. The oil pump itself is a modern gerotor design, which pumps more oil using less power, has fewer moving parts and a smaller gear intermesh to minimize contact area and reduce friction. The modified oil circuit provides faster oil pressure build up, particularly during cold starts. The pressurized oil is controlled at the clean-oil end with the resulting faster build up of oil pressure which has a positive influence on less wear (shorter mixed friction time after starting). The vertical oil filter also assists with the ease of maintenance with a fully incineratable filter cartridge that is easy to access and easy to replace. A single oil pressure switch is used (the A3 models had two oil pressure switches, one high and one low) with an oil control valve mounted downstream of the oil filter. The new cylinder head cover also has an integrated oil separator to minimize oil consumption."

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg

That oil pressure switch, (one for the ALH engine), goes off from between 10 and 16 psi. Now I don't remember exactly, but my oil pressure gauge reads around the low 20's at idle, I think, when the oil is hot. And it does get hot-I tatooed myself the other day on the oil canister carrier when I was trying to remove the vehicle speed sensor the other day to see if it would run-I guess 220 F will do that to you. Minimum per Bentley is 29 psi at 2000 rpm. I'm reading 40ish at 65 mph (2200 rpm?), with Delvac 1.
Relevence?...none. But don't forget not to push down on the accelerator when starting to allow oil to get into the turbo bearings.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)

Oh, yes there is a limit, SkyPup. It is the sum total of all knowledge about TDIs.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Ski resorts closed! Break out the cameras and fly rod ...