CR oil recommendations with emissions delete

joshferrer

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL (CKRA)
What oil are you guys running on CR TDI's without any of the emissions stuff?

I just recently did the DPF, EGR and DEF deletes on my CKRA so now I don't have to worry about any of that stuff.

To my understanding, the recommended (507.00 for the CKRA) specs for our cars are to also help with prolonging the emissions systems of the car, right?

Since I now don't have to worry about that, what would be something you'd recommend?

I've been running Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30 on my car with no issues at all but it is on the more expensive side, especially since I drive roughly 45-50k miles a year, which comes to an oil change every month or two depending on the months.

On my previous CR TDI, I ran Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 for about 140k miles with no issues. It wasn't VW spec but the price was nice because I could pick it up at Walmart for cheap.

Any thoughts?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
if your deleted. use a diesel oil. the only reason vw says 507 is because it is the lowest ash possible. and now that your deleted you can use a thicker oil in summer.

Racin4ds

TDI
2014 Passat SE
I'd be running Rotella T6 or Delo 5W40 deleted or not... thats what I'm running even with full emissions. Engine longevity to me is more important than the emissions garbage which I'll remove when it fails.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would keep running the same oil, it is still good stuff. However, you will find you can go longer between services.

A picture tells a thousand words:

That is a pre and post delete oil filter. Same (Mann) filter, came engine, same driver, etc. The lack of soot in the oil of the deleted engine is pretty dramatic. You could probably go 20k miles easily between services.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
#1 Amsoil 5w30 HDD Diesel oil is best of diesel oils around. #2 Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is also a very good choice as it is a 507 so one can still use it. You don't need a 5w40 oil, even in the summer. Your car called for a 5w30 so why would one use a 5w40. The T6 is not a very good oil, in fact not that good at wear protection. Delco who knows, and if a 5w40 why use it.
Use what you will.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
TDT has always been on the lighter side for a 40 weight oil in results I've gotten back. The UOA I linked above is from my deleted '15. I've yet to see anyone post a better UOA on the EA288. I'm sure I could find a good 30 weight and pick up just a bit of economy, but TDT is one of the cheaper oils out there.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
#1 Amsoil 5w30 HDD Diesel oil is best of diesel oils around. The T6 is not a very good oil, in fact not that good at wear protection. Delco who knows, and if a 5w40 why use it.
Use what you will.
Seriously? That is literally all i have (and LOTS of folks on this site) have ever run on the old alh with no wear on the engine... I plan on going back to it as soon as i delete on my 2013.

I'm so tired of the "if you arent spending a fortune on oil or fuel additives then your engine will self destruct" mantra. Doing "extra" for your car doesnt magically make it last longer...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Exactly. These are durable engines. You don't have to pay through the nose for boutique oils to get them to last. Not that there's anything wrong with that for the obsessive types. Just don't rag on good oils because some joker on the internet said it did poorly in his unsanctioned taste test.