Question regarding Check availability at turn in

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
Been away from the forums for a while. Long story short due to mechanical fears we are turning in our TDI next week as opposed to the fall.

Not sure if anything has changed with process regarding the check as opposed to ETF option.

As long as the mileage matches and the amount is correct, is the check still presented at turn-in?

I've read some horror stories about the check not being available and folks going thru much trouble to receive.

Do I leave and reschedule if the check is not present at turn-in? Thanks!

Last edited:

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
I initially selected check over a year ago, I'd like to switch to ETF but cannot find the option anywhere.

I checked all 4 tabs under my account on the claims site: CLAIM PREFERENCES, ACCOUNT PREFERENCES, CLAIM STATUS and PRELIMINARY SETTLEMENT ELECTION. Also, on the appointment confirmed tab.

I do not see any option to change to change from check to ETF. In fact, I see no mention anywhere that I initially selected check.

spark143

TDI
2014 jetta
I turned my 2014 jetta on Friday March 9 2018 at 2:30pm. I chose the ETF for payment. Monday the 12th around 9pm I received the email to provide the routing and account number. The email stated that if the information was not entered before midnight there could be an additional day delay for the payment. I didn't see the email until the next morning at 5am. I supplied the required info and my payment was deposited Wednesday the 14 at 10am.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I'm all about online banking, direct deposits, etc. But between me and my mom, we turned in 3 cars, and had a check in hand for each one. Two were financed, so we received 'top up' payments a couple of weeks later.

I heard a couple of horror stories on the EFTs getting hung up. I wasn't leaving the dealership without that check in hand.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
"One swallow doesn't make a summer." One of the greatest weaknesses of the Internet is the ability of a few anecdotes to be accepted as natural law. Likewise, a few anecdotes about bad EFT experiences doesn't offset the fact that it is the much superior method for this sort of transaction, where delay can occur if the vehicle's mileage isn't as specified.
And, as has already been mentioned, early on, when VW was trying to put a mechanism in place to process up to 480,000 cars in the U.S. alone, there were bound to be snafus, which can now be discounted.
We're turning in our Passat later this year, after we've selected a new car, and we'll definitely be employing the EFT, and I have no worries in that regard.