Claims Review Committee

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
Has anyone gone through an appeal with the Claims Review Committee? How long did your appeal take?

i just received an email update today saying that I am not eligible to participate in the buyback for a Q7 I own. The email says they've determined that i'm not a member of the class. This is quite surprising as it's pretty clear from the settlement that I meet the conditions to be considered part of the class so I'm just wondering the most effective way to proceed from here and how long the appeal takes.

Thanks for any help.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
What yr is your Q-7? It is all spelled out in detail,so you either qualify or you don't. I understand the rule determines if the car is able to be fixed or not, I think if it can be fixed you can only get the fix. For whatever reason this class of 3.0 cars are treated differently from the 2.0 cars.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
What yr is your Q-7? It is all spelled out in detail,so you either qualify or you don't. I understand the rule determines if the car is able to be fixed or not, I think if it can be fixed you can only get the fix. For whatever reason this class of 3.0 cars are treated differently from the 2.0 cars.
Right, makes sense. It's a 2010. I purchased it in May 2017. By all accounts, I believe I should be considered a class member.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Go to vwcourtsettlement.com and search "Appeal"

You have to appeal their decision in writing to the Claims Review Committee.

"I don’t think that Volkswagen’s ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation is accurate. Can I appeal this decision?
Yes. If you believe you are eligible to receive benefits under the Settlement Program or that your offer amount is incorrect, you may appeal the ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed neutral who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com. Your request must include the following information: Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number. A brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation was in error. After your claim is received and reviewed by the Claims Review Committee, you will receive a final determination as to your eligibility status."

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
My questions were more around if anyone had any experience with submitting a claim to the Claims Review Committee, how long it took, and what the outcome was.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Sorry I misunderstood.

Ive not heard of anyone getting a response from the claims review board, but I've only heard of two eligible claimants who's claims were rejected........yours being one of the two.

I hope someone who has received correspondence from the claims review board will chime in here......

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I think this is a brand new thing. Haven't seen anyone on this forum go through it

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Did this (or any other CRC cases) go anywhere? I find myself in a situation as I bought a car from someone who purchased it out of a lease and subsequently sold it to me.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Did this (or any other CRC cases) go anywhere? I find myself in a situation as I bought a car from someone who purchased it out of a lease and subsequently sold it to me.
No movement in months. As they used to say in the military, stand by to stand by!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Were you on the up and up about this or are you doing this as a work around as the original lessee couldn't sell it back themselves? Was the previous owner in any way related to you, not just by blood either? You just turned one in and then bought another just to turn in. To them it looks suspicious as you are trying to help the original owner game the system. I am not saying you are doing any of this, but if they see it that way for sure you may be turned down and eventually excluded if they find any proof.

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Were you on the up and up about this or are you doing this as a work around as the original lessee couldn't sell it back themselves? Was the previous owner in any way related to you, not just by blood either? You just turned one in and then bought another just to turn in. To them it looks suspicious as you are trying to help the original owner game the system. I am not saying you are doing any of this, but if they see it that way for sure you may be turned down and eventually excluded if they find any proof.
I hope that’s their concern! I bought this car off of Craigslist. The guy happens to live in my state (though several hours away).

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Back in June, I sent a letter to the CRC, with documentation, that basically said that (a) I was an original new vehicle owner, (b) that the vehicle was damaged on Nov 25, 2016, (c) that I had a 'certificate of salvage' (not a salvage/rebuilt title), and that my documents were continually being rejected as incorrect.

In October, they asked for proof of purchase, and moved me to step 15...where I still am.

Yesterday, I got this email from the CRC:

We write to notify you of the decision on your appeal to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel, and a Court-appointed “Neutral,” who is called upon to resolve any disagreements between the Claims Review Committee’s other members, should they arise. Under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement, determinations by the Claims Review Committee constitute final decisions that are not subject to any further appeal.

The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that the issue(s) raised in your appeal letter already have been resolved. If you believe this to be in error, please contact us by email at crc@vwcourtsettlement.com or by mail addressed to Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321. You should provide a brief explanation of why you believe the issue raised in your appeal letter has not yet been resolved and provide supporting documentation, if any, that you wish the Claims Review Committee to review in connection with your appeal.

So, the fact that my 'documents are in order and under review to determine if I'm eligible' resolves the issue in their mind is hardly complete. Maybe they really are serious about doing something by Jan 31 (Wednesday next week). But I doubt it.

opsx

TDI
tdi
that sounds like a nightmare...

i guess it goes without saying but is what they determined 100% incorrect? did you dig around to see how they came up with their determination of your title's status? i'm just hoping this isn't completely random bad luck!

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Not to go into the whole story...it's way too long. Where I am is stuck in salvage vehicle limbo waiting for someone to make a decision. I had two appointments scheduled and cancelled at the last minute...going on a year ago. I'm now at step 15, which is "documents under review". Which means, whenever they make a final decision on what is to be done with less that perfect title vehicles, I will get whatever.

What the CRC did, was get me from "Please submit a correct title document" to "We are now reviewing your documents to see if you qualify for a claim"

Filing a new claim would accomplish zero.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
Any updates from anyone on how long appeals with the CRC are taking (for cars that are NOT in the salvage title mess)?

I've got a clean title that just got rejected because they're saying it's already had a claim paid out on it...but I've got the car and it doesn't have a modification. Just wondering how long I could expect this to take to get through the CRC.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Any updates from anyone on how long appeals with the CRC are taking (for cars that are NOT in the salvage title mess)?

I've got a clean title that just got rejected because they're saying it's already had a claim paid out on it...but I've got the car and it doesn't have a modification. Just wondering how long I could expect this to take to get through the CRC.
Did you buy it brand new or used? If its a previously leased vehicle, its possible that lease ended early due to scandal and they count it as "paid out"

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
Did you buy it brand new or used? If its a previously leased vehicle, its possible that lease ended early due to scandal and they count it as "paid out"
Bought it used. But if that's the case, isn't it still a mistake? I mean, I have a car that is on the road, clean title, no modification has been done....and they are saying they won't take it back (or, implicitly, fix it).

Or is this a valid way for VW to deny a claim and not have to pay or fix it?

Thanks for the help.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Bought it used. But if that's the case, isn't it still a mistake? I mean, I have a car that is on the road, clean title, no modification has been done....and they are saying they won't take it back (or, implicitly, fix it).
Or is this a valid way for VW to deny a claim and not have to pay or fix it?
Thanks for the help.
This is what I found out - VW terminated the lease early and paid out some money to the owner. The car was never intended to be re-sold, but dealer did it anyway.

You can probably still get the fix money.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
This is what I found out - VW terminated the lease early and paid out some money to the owner. The car was never intended to be re-sold, but dealer did it anyway.
You can probably still get the fix money.
I assume this happened to you with a car you bought? What did you end up doing with the car?

Did you try an appeal? I would think that would have a decent chance of getting overturned - VW was supposed to release the lease, take it back, and either fix it or junk it. Instead, they screwed up and sold it back into the market without the emissions issue being cleared up. How'd it turn out for you?

drawbar777

TDI
2013 vw passat
Hope you guys can help me with this dilemma. I had a VW passat TDI 2013 in 2015 I started to have many issues with it from stalling to blown diesel pump etc then came the scandal of the diesel emission that pushed me to trade it in. I lost 10k when I did so, when it was time to file the claim I was overseas and came back 3 days after the deadline has passed. I was allowed to file a paper claim and did so, CRC asked me to provide a proof of my travel itinerary and I promptly emailed it to them. About a week ago CRC sent me a letter and an email telling my claim was denied without any reason provided even though I was eligible for the buyback or restitution claim.

Can anyone help me with any pointers and had anyone else had the same issue and what was their recourse.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Can anyone comment on their process with CRC? I emailed my appeal on 22nd. How do we know if they received it or it’s being worked on? Hotline support has no clue!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Can anyone comment on their process with CRC? I emailed my appeal on 22nd. How do we know if they received it or it’s being worked on? Hotline support has no clue!
Black. Hole.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Are you making threats because I made a joke? When I appealed mine that is exactly what happened and from reading here others have experienced the same treatment. My post was about as helpful as yours anyway. From my understanding there is no appeal after the CRC is finished with you.