Cel on will not pass emission in Missouri

ginger

TDI
98 jetta TDI turbo
98 vw jetta TDi 1.9 turbo diesel will not pass Missouri emission or they tell me it show up not complete.
P1403 code
560 exhaust gas recirculation system
575 intake manifold pressure
Can have this kind of problem

thank
Bruce

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Most states wont pas a CEL FYI, some states dont require diesel engine cars to go though emissions like MD, any car older than 7 years old is exempt and most states are 100% exempt and its crazy that the popo (feds) and the TDI emissions scandal thing happened, i guess it has to leave the assembly line compliant.

Anyways, your EGR is not working right, check all your boost lines, including in the ECU, replace if there questionable. EGR is non replaceable on the AHU, dues your engine have a smooth short black valve cover and a smooth valve body on the IP, or is it aluminum (silver) tall vale cover and a ridged valve body on the IP? the 98 1.9 was the AHU and the ALH motors, the AHU has a built in EGR valve, it goes bad over time, your car is 20 years old now so go figure. Replacing it requires buying a new intake manifold or if your mechanical skilled, you can hack the EGR apart and repair it, but its tricky and a higher level of knowledge to repair it right. The best fix is to get a PD150/PD130 intake, and a new EGR for it and an adapter to your stock IC pipes. OR you can get a tune delete from malone for your ECU and delete the EGR, if your a daily driver in cold winter lands, dont do this, it helps warm up the engine. No matter what you do, unless you replace or fix the valve it will have a CEL with no tune to fix.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i think he means, instead of boost lines, vacuum lines, including one in the ecm. then you also would have to get a mechanic to clear codes. replacing vac lines well worth it, not exactly cheap, theres one slightly bigger vac line to egr. clearing the codes is a little expensive, it may be ~$70. theres no way to know, right now, if that will solve CEL light.
by now vac lines need to be replaced anyways. (cost me ~$220 at a good shop), theres at least ooh 10 lines, so its not very expensive all things considered. (the good vacuum hose isnt exactly cheap either.)

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Bruce,

You have an AHU and it's a simple system, the Jetta only used that motor in 1998. Forget about trying to fix the EGR, using a different intake, or getting a tune. Just ignore all that.

The P1403 is a related code, 17811/P1403/005123 - EGR System: Regulation Deviation. It means the car is seeing a different flow reading than it should see so it's throwing a code to let you know. The EGR system is controlled by vacuum coming from the vacuum pump near the oil filter and it is regulated through the N18 valve.

The other codes are interrelated in that if some of your hoses are bad, they all should be changed.

The 00560 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation System could be the hoses or the N18 valve near the air cleaner. It'll have 3 hoses to it, one 5mm going to the EGR assembly on the intake and two 3mm going to the air cleaner and the vacuum pump. It's rare the N18 valve goes bad (but I have seen broken nipples on a few) so I'd start with the hoses.

00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure: Control Limit Not Reached is probably also a hose.

The hoses aren't bad to buy or replace (about $40-$50 and you can easily do it yourself). IDParts and CasecadeGerman both carry it (very reputable places), the part numbers are N203531 for the 3mm hose, of which you'll need about 15 feet (5m) and N203551 for the 5mm hose, which is only used for the EGR system, so you'll only need about 4' of that. Just measure yours and you'll see exactly how much you need. I listed about 15' of the 3mm hose since you will end up replacing all the hose on the car, the red, blue, and black, both vacuum (for the turbo and EGR system) and pressure (for the ECU) system. Just use one of the hose connectors already on the car to connect the new hose to the old, then pull it through were you need it, and cut it where it's needed. You will not need any hose clamps.

There is also a 3" hose inside the ECU that should be replaced at the same time. It is a common problem with any age on the car.

I switched to all silicone hose from McMaster-Carr based on this thread. I ordered a small roll of each and had a ton left over. I finally changed it after 10 years chasing a boost leak and it still looked great.

But then you'll need to clear the code and drive it awhile (50-100 miles) for Readiness to be reset on the EGR system.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i think he means, instead of boost lines, vacuum lines, including one in the ecm. then you also would have to get a mechanic to clear codes. replacing vac lines well worth it, not exactly cheap, theres one slightly bigger vac line to egr. clearing the codes is a little expensive, it may be ~$70. theres no way to know, right now, if that will solve CEL light.
by now vac lines need to be replaced anyways. (cost me ~$220 at a good shop), theres at least ooh 10 lines, so its not very expensive all things considered. (the good vacuum hose isnt exactly cheap either.)
98 1.9 TDI, is usually a AHU, those are boost, i specified in my post asking if it was a AHU or ALH, and yes if its an alh then vacuum-

ECM? you mean ECU? You need a mechanic to clear codes? $70? No way to know, dude has the codes right there, EGR fail and possible boost leak, meaning his AHU has a boost leak and lines are bad. EGR is F'ed for sure and un related to a boost leak other than the lines.

high quality silicone lines on amazon are about $40 for a few feet of all you need plus spare. well worth it and a better upgrade then the braided rubber lines. Rubber sucks

Last edited by a moderator:

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
98 1.9 TDI, is usually a AHU, those are boost, i specified in my post asking if it was a AHU or ALH, and yes if its an alh then vacuum-
ECM? you mean ECU? You need a mechanic to clear codes? $70? No way to know, dude has the codes right there,
Have you been drinking tonight iluv?
the main line comes off vac pump, i admit, and i really dont care about *exact term whether its boost or vac, as far as i know, am concerned, most of AHU lines are vacuum.
im not posting this, it seems rather obvious poster will need a mechanic to hook up vag-com to clear codes, may run ~$70 std shop fee.
no im not drinking, whats your problem, trying to help poster--:confused:whats with the attitude.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why does he need a mechanic to do this when he can just find someone local to him or buy a used cable or even better, just hack a ebay cable for vcds light?
you corrected my on the boost lines so whatever. sorry, am trying to be sarcastic and jabbing at you a bit, not intended to be rude, sorry.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
clearing codes is free with autozone scanner

ginger

TDI
98 jetta TDI turbo
update cel light on, will not pass missouri emissions. code P1403 560exhaust gas recirculation 575intake manifold pressure

2 26 18
On my 98 vw jetta TDI 1.9 turbo diesel AHU
put on a working EGR intake manifold
check the N75 and the N18 both made a click Noise so i think both was working.

all hose are Silicone Vacuum got them from McMaster-Carr
clean out all the silicone vacuum line with compress air one at a time
the blue hose had oil in it?
hose inside the ECU change two years before. but did not check it for sure.

found a crack in the black plastic piece that goes to the turbo, fix it.
clear the code. drove car 300 plus miles.
car did pass safety inspection..
took car back to have emission check
the car fail emissions no cel and no code show up????
on the emission sheet said

emission inspection result said all pass or unsupported
in the box readiness result: fail ??

the box EGR/VVT syste Completed

the service guy call state of missouri
they gave me a emissions waiver went to the DMV and got my licence for the car. got two year sticker till 20.

thank to all the information. It did help me look at different thing.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how bad was the crack on the turbo intake pipe? i have one i modded to use a silicone coupler adapter. If yours keeps having issues, let me know and ill send you mine for $45 after shipping. its in great shape.
it failed the emissions because of the VW emissions new standards set my the EPA, or whoever. glad you got it fixed. when that EGR goes bad again, i highly suggest you do a pd150 upgrade with a CEL delete stage 1.5 tune. or bolt on EGR that is cheep and easy to replace/repair

ginger

TDI
98 jetta TDI turbo
I used super glue on mine, it was at the top of the black plastic pipe to were the one black hose connect into it. I will watch it and make sure it does not get any worst. But I will keep you pipe deal in mind.
thanks
Bruce

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The problem here is that readiness was never set and that's what the inspections use to determine whether the vehicle passes emissions testing.

I'm not sure how many miles it takes to set readiness but I would think 300 ought to do it.

Without a CEL it's really difficult to know whether there's actually something wrong or whether it's just a matter that the ECU hasn't resolved yet.

I'd be curious to know whether readiness ever gets set. The minute it did set I would be in for the inspection.

How frequently do you have to inspect in Missouri? I know there are different rules for different areas of the state, I think in large metro areas you have to inspect yearly?

Steve

ginger

TDI
98 jetta TDI turbo
In the state of Missouri, every two year you have to get a safety and emission check for your car or truck to get your license , plus personal property payed That will get you a two year sticker to drive your car..

thank
Bruce