MK5- Radio On & No Sound - Open or Short Circuit all Speakers

luvthediesel

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6 Speed Manual - Stage 2 Malone & BuzzKen Exhaust Wife's Ride - 2014 Passat TDI AT W/ .5 Stage Tune & BuzzKen Exhaust
Hi All! So Randomly the other day the factory radio quit working (still lights up -just no sound) in my wife's 2006 MK5 Special Edition TDI. I had been contemplating an upgrade to a RCD-510 Premium 8 so I decided this was the "sign". I ordered the new radio and installed it & I still have the same thing. It lights up immediately. Turns on. All functions work. Just no sound. Zippo Notta Nothing.

I ran a scan with Vag Com and it is saying open or short circuit to every speaker & tweeter & the antenna...

So I thought maybe I had a fried Amp (under drivers seat) so I swapped it with another tonight and no change. I also tried swapping the Sirius satellite module in the trunk & no change.

It seems strange that it all quit working suddenly when we jumped in the car one day. Stereo used to work great. I also tried a third radio just to safe and I got the same silent results. I am not sure which fuse is the radio fuse but I checked all of them & I don't have any blown.

Any help here would be appreciated!:)
Thanks!

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Based on what you're saying this is your problem:
There is a corroded wire in the cable going to the amp. I know because a friend had the same problem in his Passat 06, I just fixed it for him last week. Easy fix.
First, you check that I'm right: with a voltmeter, check and see if there is any voltage in the connector pins 21, 22 and 23. Make sure you check in the correct connector (the one with 23 pins), as they are two of them. If you get less than 12V, that's your problem.
Next, you remove the 4 bolts holding the AMP in place, remove the amp, remove the other bolts that are holding the AMP plate. Remove the plate and cut the carpet under it for the length of the amp. Next you remove the driver side kick panel (one screw)
You place both hands under the carpet (left hand by the kick panel side, right hand by the AMP cut side, you get as deep as you can and pull up, so the plastic clips holding the cable attached to the floor are popping. You pull the cable out from the carpet, and you'll see the corroded wire. It should be a red thick wire that is spliced in three red small wires (they go to pins 21,22,23) All you have to do is clean the corrosion, and reconnect them.
I hope it helps.

luvthediesel

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6 Speed Manual - Stage 2 Malone & BuzzKen Exhaust Wife's Ride - 2014 Passat TDI AT W/ .5 Stage Tune & BuzzKen Exhaust
Wow this is very helpful. I will check into this tonight and let you know how I come out.
Thanks!
-Jim

luvthediesel

TDI
Problem solved- got sound

Hey Relumalutan- Problem finally solved last night.
Removed the seat & removed the amp. Checked voltage as you instructed on pins 21-22-23 = Dead- 0 Volts.
Cut the carpeting & cut the pad following harness back to the 3 into 1 red wire harness. Unfortunately junction was fine. Cut it open any way to verify. Clean no issue. Frustrated- taped it back together and reinstalled the amp.
Getting ready to reinstall the seat and thought maybe I should "hot wire" jumper 12v to the junction to see what happens. So I pulled it back apart and started inspecting the harness again. On a whim I pulled the carpet back further revealing more harness (head lamp on) and at the base of the gas pedal I noticed the big red wire I was following had a big green growth on it -corrosion yo.... AH HA! :)

Quick cut + splice + heat shrink tubing was all it took. We have sound now- Wife = Happy .....= Me Happy :)

Thanks for your help- Your diagnosis was correct. Probably saved $200-$300 minimum of dealer diagnosis. (that was my next move)

I will post pictures.
Not sure if gas pedal motion caused the rub through? There were no signs of moisture- everything else looked spotless clean... IDK

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I'm glad it worked out for you. I've been in Grand Rapids two weeks ago on Saturday for the Get Together meeting. Were you there?

luvthediesel

TDI
No I wasn't aware of the meeting... I am on the southeast side of GR. What side of the state are you from?