Headlight Polishing

kburrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
With Spring Car Cleanup just around the corner I was thinking that my headlights were a little cloudy. I had been looking into doing some headlight polishing. The permatex kit is the one that seams to be most recomended. I was going to start looking for who carried this kit when I received this months Princess Auto Flyer. They have the permatex kit on sale for $12.99.

Last edited:

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
That's a good price, I was going to do this again soon too.

Last time I ended up buying a variety of sandpaper grits from NAPA (400, 800, 1500, 2000 I believe) and sanded the crap out of the headlights for about 2 hours, and then I waxed them and they looked great. However this time I think I'm going to do some light sanding to smooth them out and then try some plastic polish.

What's in the Permex kit?

kburrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Sorry I misspelled it. It is Permatex. Kit incudes Plastic Polish, Polishing Cloth, Various grades of sandpaper, Gloves. Clamshell packaging acts as tray to soak sandpaper in. Video of procedure on Permatex website.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Yep, ask Marchmen is also what I was thinking.... We used various sandpaper grits to wetsand my headlights, then he applied a few compounds (3M rubbing compound and Meguiars PlastX I believe) with an orbital buffer....

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
There was some headlight polishing done at Jeff's place before. All I remember is Chris (Hoodie) making a mess of everything. :D

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
looks pretty easy, I just picked up the permatex at Princess Auto yesterday. Thanks for the posting. I feel like I am driving at night without headlights. (even on highbeam, they suck).

Hoodie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Bmarc said:
There was some headlight polishing done at Jeff's place before. All I remember is Chris (Hoodie) making a mess of everything. :D
Hahaha. I remember that. I made such a mess of those poor lenses. They ended up being re-done (properly :D ) and are running around on a silver Jolf now.

I actually just did another set by hand. Came out alright but they needed to be buffed with an orbital to get them looking right.
I planned on having them for a retrofit. I've got everything I need but I think I may go with those Helix oem hid replicas instead of hack jobbing the back of a stock set.

STurner

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf ALH TDI
A rotory buffer or Porter Cable orbital work well with a fine grade polishing compund. Patienence always makes a difference too.;)