Searching for used Mk V. What to look out for in non TDI models

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Earlier this week, my son totaled the 2006 Jetta in my signature. So I am now looking for a replacement. Since we are very familiar with the Mk V model and we've become something of a Vdub family-- my other son has a 2013 GLI, I am looking for a Golf or Jetta as a replacement. Although it would be a much easier search if a manual transmission were an option, I am stuck searching for an automatic (or DSG). Please don't tell me I should force him to learn a manual. I've already had that conversation.

Based on the expected insurance company payout, I'm looking around the $3500 price point. I've found a number of cars on craigslist. They all seem to be from 2005.5 - 2007 and have the 2.5 motor with around 130K miles.

I test drove one car last evening. I was just about convinced to buy the car when it started shifting very hard into second pulling away from a stop. It did this repeatedly for me until we got it back to the parking lot.

Is the auto transmission a common problem on the non-TDI models? My DSG never gave me any problems on the TDI. and the car made it to 289K miles.

What are the other problem issues I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

(Mods -- If I put this thread in the wrong place, feel free to move it.)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The 6 speed auto in the 2.5 is probably the only weak spot in the car.

You SHOULD be good just replacing the valve body, but it's a gamble. I would say out 8 out of 10 transmission problems behind the 2.5 are solved with a valve body.

Good odds, unless you are one of the two.

The good news is that the 6 auto from a 2.5 are so abundant, we get them from salvage yards for about $500.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks. That's a bit more reassuring than what I read on Vortex last night.

The information I found there suggested the valve body was the common culprit, but it sounded a lot pricier for the parts and/or replacement transmissions. It sounded like the valve body went for around $1000 and the transmissions went for about $1400 or more.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Well, What you read is correct.

A new (Reman) valve body goes for $950-1250 depending on what part number it needs. PLus you have the fluid, filter, and gasket.

A new (reman) trans goes for between $4,000 - $5,000.

The price I quoted was for a used transmission from a salvage yard.