Possible Buy 2006 Jetta Project

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
So, about 1.5 hours from me is a 2006 jetta tdi for 1000 obo. Problem is someone ran gas in it and well lots of work i'm sure, but the guy selling said it will crank up, but would need to be towed back.

So I asked for him to send a video of the start up and idle/running of the car.

If it cranks and runs, just terribly what problems could I be looking into, I just sold my golf tdi back and having a little diesel remorse that my f250 just can't fill. lol

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
A salvage yard BRM engine will run you $1200-$1500, that would be my solution. If you can DIY, shouldn't cost you over $2000 to swap engines. Based on my local TDI guru, parts a labor to do an engine swap is about $1000 + the engine. (Put a new timing belt and water pump on the "new" engine before you install it!;))

If you got a local shop that can do it, you'd be looking at $1000 for the car, $1500 for an engine and $1000 to do the swap = $3500 into the car. That's a deal I'd jump on if I were you!

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
hm, I just wish it wasn't automatic. I found out the car has 200k miles, if it was manual no trouble just throw a new clutch in there. being automatic I'm not gonna bother, I was hoping the wife just messed up a low mile jetta, thanks for the info.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A salvage yard BRM engine will run you $1200-$1500, that would be my solution. If you can DIY, shouldn't cost you over $2000 to swap engines. Based on my local TDI guru, parts a labor to do an engine swap is about $1000 + the engine. (Put a new timing belt and water pump on the "new" engine before you install it!;))

If you got a local shop that can do it, you'd be looking at $1000 for the car, $1500 for an engine and $1000 to do the swap = $3500 into the car. That's a deal I'd jump on if I were you!
Why would you put an engine it it if you don't even know what's wrong with the car?

From the OP's post it could just need the gas drained out and purged with fresh diesel. Gas in a BRM won't cause any permanent damage and is easily fixable with out a lot of work. The owner might just not have the skill set to fix the problem.

Being a DSG (automatic) with 200K miles, passing on it might be a VG idea. Repairs on a high mileage DSG can be expensive although the DSG might have some good miles left on it if it shifted O. K. prior to the owner poisoning the car with gas.

If all that's wrong with it is that it had gas put in it, $ 1000 would be a steal.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
hm, I just wish it wasn't automatic. I found out the car has 200k miles, if it was manual no trouble just throw a new clutch in there. being automatic I'm not gonna bother, I was hoping the wife just messed up a low mile jetta, thanks for the info.
Those transmissions go past 200k easy. I'd buy it as a 3rd car if i was closer.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Ditto, a wise man once said he's more concerned about Canada attacking the U.S. than a DSG failure.
Poor analogy. But I understand your point.

Lets's see. US population = 311 million. Canada population = 33 million.

If Canada invaded the U.S. we would stomp them out like a cockroach and I'm pretty sure they fully understand this.

If the poster did buy the car, he could always do a DSG to manual swap after he ran out the miles that are left on the DSG. Still a win/win.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
agree with what others have said on the DSG and Motor. The motor should be OK, but you can check some of the basics to make sure you are not up the creek. For 1K, you could part it and not lose out. DSG is fairly solid with 200K. If you have access to VCDS, you can pull the codes and see if there was any prior DTC registered. The BRM is fairly rugged.

You could also check the compression to be a bit more comfortable as well. I just ran into an issue were my diesel was contaminated with petrol. No last effects after I drained and ran out of the contaminated fuel. Keep in mind that they run gas in the older diesels in the winter to prevent gelling. I would let others speak to the potential risk. but for 1K that is a decent deal. Any service records? That's cheap enough to buy and knock out the high wear items like the cam (kit around $450.00 or so) and the DMF ($385.00) timing belt ($225.00) DSG Service supplies ($125.00) (parts prices approximate without including labour)

I like to buy my cars for cheap like this and then replace all of the high wear items, this way you know you have a solid vehicle. If I didnt already have three, I would ask for the number if you were going to pass on it!

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I completely agree with kbaisley, that's why I went out yesterday and bought an '06 with 180k miles and the DSG to replace my 2010 Golf. I highly recommend buying a car with a body, suspension and interior in great shape. You'll spend a lot more money on fixing up the body and suspension than you would fixing up the engine.