www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old May 6th, 2013, 14:51   #1
Masterpersonal

TDI(s): 2012 JSW
Default Is my 3rd party keyfob programmable?

I have a keyfob from ebay, exact same PN as original. I am told by the dealer that it cannot be programmed, that it muyst be ordered from the factory since it has partial programming that is VIN specific.

Any insight?
Masterpersonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 15:36   #2
apples12
Veteran Member

if it is a used keyfob my understanding is the remote part - i.e. to control the central locking - it can be programmed - but the immobiliser part which is required to start your car - that won't be able to be programmed again (these are one-time program only)

i do believe you may be able to buy the top half of the keyfob seperately (the section which contains the key blade and immobiliser) and retain your 3rd party remote fob

central locking coding can be done two ways -
1) remove the battery on the 3rd remote so it forgets the central locking and relearn it using the method in the manual using your second key
2) use vcds

immo coding is locksmith or dealer only

apples12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 18:58   #3
schultp
Veteran Member

The newer key fobs have the immobilizer chip as part of the entire circuit board so you cannot buy the upper portion to get a new immo chip like in the previous generation of these keyfobs. In the older version the immo chip was a single RFID item that looked like a grain of rice. It could be removed and slipped into a new keyfob. The immo programming would then transfer to the newer keyfob. Sadly, not so with the latest keyfobs. I investigated this thoroughly.

To save a little you can order the new unprogrammed keyfob directly from an online VW dealer parts vendor (like www.1stvwparts.com or www.riversidevw.com) they will need your VIN # when purchasing and you will have to fax them some proof of ownership. Then, you can take these fobs to your local VW dealer and pay them to program. No matter what you do it is not a cheap process. But, you are investing in a more secure system that will deter theft of your vehicle.

VW did have a class action lawsuit settlement since they were sued for not having competition in the keyfob programming and the lawsuit resulted in VW providing a listing of non-VW locksmiths that have the proper hardware to program their keyfobs. you can find this listing somewhere on their website. If you are lucky, one of these locksmiths will be local to you and provide an alternative to using the VW dealer....can't say if they are cheaper or not though.

Good luck.

2010 JSW TDI, 6sp manual
schultp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 19:14   #4
Masterpersonal

Wow. I just bought 6 keyfobs that have zero value. Unbelievable.
Old May 6th, 2013, 20:34   #5
schultp
Veteran Member

Yeah, I bought 2. This is why the keyfobs are so cheap on ebay. It is really dishonest advertizing by a lot of ebay sellers. I am sure they are aware of the limitation

2010 JSW TDI, 6sp manual
Old May 6th, 2013, 20:37   #6
Masterpersonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultp View Post
VW did have a class action lawsuit settlement since they were sued for not having competition in the keyfob programming and the lawsuit resulted in VW providing a listing of non-VW locksmiths that have the proper hardware to program their keyfobs. .
Confused. If the keyfob must be purchased from VW, because it is electronically VIN specific, how does a list of locksmiths provide competition?
Old May 6th, 2013, 20:44   #7
schultp
Veteran Member

It doesn't...but it was part of a settlement.

The instrument VW uses uses the VIN# as a key to get the necessary immo code from a secure VW server. The car must be connected to the instrument and only then will the server provide the immo security code for the necessary programming of the keyfob. No one at the dealer (or locksmith) gets any of this data...another increase in security apparently.

I was disappointed with the cost of these keyfobs but then someone made the point that this is the cost of keyfobs nowadays with all the added security that they provide. VW isn't the only manufacturer with expensive keyfobs. Apparently, some cost even more.

The locksmiths that have purchased the expensive VW instrument use the same procedure as the dealer since they are using the same instrument and connecting to the same VW server for the immo codes.

2010 JSW TDI, 6sp manual
Old May 6th, 2013, 20:51   #8
schultp
Veteran Member

Here's the link to the pdf file listing the vw authorized locksmiths

VW Locksmith List (pdf)

2010 JSW TDI, 6sp manual
Old May 6th, 2013, 22:08   #9
Diesl
Veteran Member

Seems to be a bad file? ( can't be opened)
Old May 6th, 2013, 22:09   #10
Diesl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah, I bought 2. This is why the keyfobs are so cheap on ebay. It is really dishonest advertizing by a lot of ebay sellers. I am sure they are aware of the limitation
EBay buyer protection should have you covered. Just open a case.
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:43   #11
schultp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
Downloads for me. It is a pdf, try saving it and then opening.

2010 JSW TDI, 6sp manual
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:24   #12
hotpocketdeath
Veteran Member

Quote:
To save a little you can order the new unprogrammed keyfob directly from an online VW dealer parts vendor (like www.1stvwparts.com or www.riversidevw.com) they will need your VIN # when purchasing and you will have to fax them some proof of ownership. Then, you can take these fobs to your local VW dealer and pay them to program.
I pointed this out when I was looking for a new keyfob, but http://www.vwpartsdept.com/ has them cheaper than the two sites you listed. Just a few bucks though.

Just need to do a search for "Transmitter" and you'll find the device you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
Here's VW's main page that has all the relevant PDF's
http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-an...formation.html
hotpocketdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:09   #13
Masterpersonal

Does anyone know the max number of keys that can exist on the 2012 immo system and any given time? One source suggested it might be 4.
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:11   #14
Masterpersonal

Also, what is a valet key? How is it different?
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:32   #15
hotpocketdeath
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpersonal View Post
Does anyone know the max number of keys that can exist on the 2012 immo system and any given time? One source suggested it might be 4.
A 2012 should support up to 8 keys. I think it has a Gen4 immobilizer. If you pair more than that number, the key that has not been used in the longest period of time is dropped.

Source: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer

I remember reading something that Gen5 is on Audi's, but not on the current VWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpersonal View Post
Also, what is a valet key? How is it different?
It's a key that can only be used to start the car and unlock the driver's door using the hidden keyhole. It does not have the remote part that allows you to unlock or lock the doors remotely and it cannot unlock the glove box.

Last edited by hotpocketdeath; May 7th, 2013 at 09:41.
hotpocketdeath is offline   Reply With Quote