Airbag recall on a deleted car

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
I got a notice in the mail for an airbag recall. Car has been deleted and tuned. I'm kind of thinking with the smell and whistling exhaust they will know it's been "fixed":D. Anyone had issues with a dealership snitching on someone with a car with emissions modifications? I'm leaning towards not taking it in.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
The dealer can't do anything... Worst I can think of is they call MOT and tell them your car is deleted and tuned... And that's very, very unlikely to happen

Get the airbag replaced, is a tuned car worth it if it can't protect you or your occupants in the event of a crash

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
brought my deleted mk6 in all the time...deleted touareg has been in as well...never had an issue...usually the techs wanna know more or go for a ride.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Weighing the risk - I would get the takata airbag replaced all day long - the chances of a tech ratting you out are slim.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
It is not in a dealer's best interest to report you. It is a guaranteed way to loose a customer (& family/friends) for life....

That being said, stop breaking the law!

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
Thanks guys. Car is so great now. I think it could beat GTIs in a race! On the other hand I can drive gently from London to Toronto burning 4.4 l/100km. What law? I stomp on it and it doesn't smoke. I tried!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yeah, smoke is one thing, NOx and VOCs are another.

I've followed deleted diesels on the highway many times - the exhaust is acrid.

I tune my cars, but all the emissions pieces stay in place and fully functional.