In-Service Dates of Fixed 2015's

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I seem to recall hearing somewhere that some of the 2015 MY cars won't have the normal, expected in-service dates of Fall 2014 - Summer 2015. Instead, some of them have much later in-service dates, having something to do with the Stop-Sale and the Phase 1 fix. Can anyone fill me in on this?

I'm looking to replace my '13 with a 2015 CPO, so I want to fully understand what kind of warranty coverage I'll be getting.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The in service date is when it was purchased new the first time. Mine is a 2015 Stop sale car that was purchased new by me in 2017. My in service date is in 2017. If you are buying a CPO car it will more than likely have an in service date of 2014-2015, when it was first purchased new.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
The in service date is when it was purchased new the first time. Mine is a 2015 Stop sale car that was purchased new by me in 2017. My in service date is in 2017. If you are buying a CPO car it will more than likely have an in service date of 2014-2015, when it was first purchased new.

But a 2015 CPO car could also be one like yours, that was purchased new in 2017, that someone traded in early, right?

bitslop

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S Manual
Couple months back, I bought a used 2015 GSW TDI with 13k miles that was a stop-sale. It has an in-service date of April 2017, which is nice because that means I have 2 years of factory warranty, then two years after that of CPO warranty with unlimited mileage. The previous owner had traded it back in to the same dealer after only one year. They had even tinted the windows the way I like, and left behind some surprise goodies in the under-seat hidden compartment!

I highly recommend looking for a used stop-sale, because of that powerful combo of factory + CPO + emissions warranty.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Couple months back, I bought a used 2015 GSW TDI with 13k miles that was a stop-sale. It has an in-service date of April 2017, which is nice because that means I have 2 years of factory warranty, then two years after that of CPO warranty with unlimited mileage. The previous owner had traded it back in to the same dealer after only one year. They had even tinted the windows the way I like, and left behind some surprise goodies in the under-seat hidden compartment!

I highly recommend looking for a used stop-sale, because of that powerful combo of factory + CPO + emissions warranty.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. I guess the ones with under 20k miles will be the most likely possibilities for a 2017 in-service date.

Did you have any concern that the car was sitting for two years?

bitslop

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S Manual
EXACTLY what I was thinking. I guess the ones with under 20k miles will be the most likely possibilities for a 2017 in-service date.

Did you have any concern that the car was sitting for two years?
No major concerns. In my particular case, it sat for two years, was purchased and driven for a year, and then I bought it. So I figured anything wrong with sitting for a couple of years likely was taken care of under warranty during that final year. And if not, I have 4 more years of warranty to take care of it. (I also purchased the 20k & 30k pre-paid service plan for $189, which seemed like a no-brainer even with a manual).

After looking for a while, my concerns revolved more around the ones that were buybacks that are back on the market. Several of them I looked at had things removed from them; one even had four steel wheels instead of OEM wheels. After noticing that, I read some of the threads on here about people stripping their cars before turning them in... and that made me feel like it was hard to trust almost any buyback, especially from independent lots that are just buying & flipping.

The VW CPO'd ones were better, although there was one crappy dealer around Columbus OH who had a CPO that was missing parts, had 4 nearly bald tires, with one of them bulging on the sidewall. Unbelievable, and I was pretty annoyed I drove 3 hours to see that (the pictures conveniently didn't show any of that, of course...)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is possible that there are stop sale cars that were turned/traded in. I would bet there are very few around though. Most of the people who bought stop sale cars knew exactly what they wanted and probably aren't getting rid of them any time soon. There are exceptions though.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I also purchased the 20k & 30k pre-paid service plan for $189, which seemed like a no-brainer even with a manual.

Not familiar with that. Is that a VW plan or a third party plan?

The VW CPO'd ones were better, although there was one crappy dealer around Columbus OH who had a CPO that was missing parts, had 4 nearly bald tires, with one of them bulging on the sidewall. Unbelievable, and I was pretty annoyed I drove 3 hours to see that (the pictures conveniently didn't show any of that, of course...)

WOW !! Yeah, I'd call that a crappy dealer. Sleazy too. Plus a few other adjectives.

bitslop

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S Manual
Not familiar with that. Is that a VW plan or a third party plan?
It is a VW plan, and it is available if you have not yet hit the 20k service interval (by date and mileage, I believe... so in-service date may be important here). A VW dealer can check for you by VIN, but be forewarned that they might not be very familiar with it either (it wasn't offered for long). The person I spoke to didn't think they were offered anymore, but she ran my VIN for me and saw it was available for $189.

The cost is a bit less than the 20k service alone. If you have a DSG it is an even better deal, since the 30k service is so expensive - but even with the manual it is a good deal.

Once you purchase it the plan is attached to your VIN, and can be used at any VW dealer.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
It is a VW plan, and it is available if you have not yet hit the 20k service interval (by date and mileage, I believe... so in-service date may be important here). A VW dealer can check for you by VIN, but be forewarned that they might not be very familiar with it either (it wasn't offered for long). The person I spoke to didn't think they were offered anymore, but she ran my VIN for me and saw it was available for $189.

The cost is a bit less than the 20k service alone. If you have a DSG it is an even better deal, since the 30k service is so expensive - but even with the manual it is a good deal.

Once you purchase it the plan is attached to your VIN, and can be used at any VW dealer.

So what is it? Is it a full maintenance plan, both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance?

TY for the info. I'll keep my eye on that.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
It is for the scheduled, manufacture recommended 20k and 30k services.

OK, if the mileage is under 20k, it pays, otherwise it doesn't. The 20k service is more expensive with the fuel filter, etc, the 30k is just an oil change.