GM Synchromesh Fluid....25K report

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I used the GM Synchromesh on the 5-speed in a Dodge Ram 50 pickup (aka Mitsubishi Mighty Max) I owned back in the day, cured a hard Winter shifting problem immediately, and worked great year-round. I was told at the time it was nothing but straight 75W gear oil. It appearance and consistency (rather like honey) would support that.

94cobra2615

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Wagon
I've been using the pennzoil stuff for about 10,000 miles.

I just took the trans out to change the clutch and upgrade the 5th gear.

Just got done splitting it open and everything looks brand new......no unusual gear wear and the brass synchros look perfect.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I also have been using the Pennzoil Syncromesh for about 20k miles. I have had no problems and will continue to use it. I was just curious if anyone had ran both types of syncromesh in the same transaxle and if there was a difference .

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Had a 3rd gear grind in my 02M which disappeared completely by switching to the Pennzoil Syncromesh. Got 10K miles so far and all is well. I fully agree with Jimbote on this.

K1Cowboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Audi S4 AFN TDI
I ran my old Jetta VR6 5 spd with synchromesh to 233k before I sold it. Ran my Audi S4 01e gearbox with it as well to over 200k before I swapped it with a diesel 01E. Both shifted like new and were quiet. I swear by the stuff.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Oil change interval?

What is a reasonable interval to change the Pennzoil sychromesh oil. Every 50K miles maybe or longer?
there is nothing special about "our.. transmissions" sychromesh is made for transaxles (we have transaxles;)) with brass synchros (we have brass synchros ;))
there is a thread iirc by "bob is the oil guy" that discusses synchromesh gl4 compatability ... i'm right at 60k miles on pennzoil synchromesh in my 05' golf with 358k + miles ... it had a pretty nasty second gear grind after changing out the oem stuff for new OEM G07, s'mesh completely cured the grind within a half mile ... imo OEM fluid is inferior and i won't use it in any gearbox with yellow synchros period ...

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
GM / Pennzoil Synchromesh is also considered to be a "lifetime" transaxle lubricant. Considering that "lifetime" usually means around 100k-150k miles, I think a 100k mile fluid change interval should be fine. This is just my opinion.

That said, it's nice to see that Synchromesh oil can be used in VW transaxles. My 2 other vehicles are GM, and have 5-speed transaxles. They both have Pennzoil Synchromesh in them.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I think that catch with VW gearboxes and GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid is that it is not recommended for hypoid types (such as the ones being transplanted in B5.5 Passats in North America).

Correct me if I am wrong please.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid works in a high HP Vette so should you would think work ok in our VW dub's. Is it a GL1 or what?

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Thanks for the answer. Not to question your know how but where did you get your info from Abacus? But why is it, that some say claim it to be a GL1? What does GM say it is, assuming they the parts depth know or the mechanics even know what they are talking about.

carkey351

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed 157K(to replace 09 when it goes away)2009 Jetta 6 speed-414K (and climbing), 2002 chevy duramax (303k and climbing).
fwiw, my 09 jetta 6speed has 386K on it and at 360K i dump the VW fluid for syncromesh....what a difference! its way better for shifting! I recently went to top of MT. Evans in Colorado (tallest road in US) and drove great.

Syncromesh all the way for any transaxle equipped car i own. the stuff works.

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Yup, that's the stuff.

-J

I went to GM today and gave the part number listed on this thread for the pennzoil synchromesh fluid and they gave me a ACDelco blue and black bottle that says synchromesh transmission fluid and part number 89021808

is this the right stuff?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
So what am I supposed to do with the leftover 0.9 quarts of gear lube after purchasing 3 quarts of Syncromesh to fill the gear box? LOL

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I went to GM today and gave the part number listed on this thread for the pennzoil synchromesh fluid and they gave me a ACDelco blue and black bottle that says synchromesh transmission fluid and part number 89021808
is this the right stuff?
I was planning on getting mine from Amazon. Synchromesh
So hopefully you can return the bottles you purchased from GM...

So what am I supposed to do with the leftover 0.9 quarts of gear lube after purchasing 3 quarts of Syncromesh to fill the gear box? LOL
Save it for your next transmission flush...:confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If the original gear oil was in there that long I'd change it again in 10 or 20K miles to get the debris out of the transmission.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
IBW, that is a great suggestion thank you; I will heed your advice. Just the few miles I drove her around after yesterdays fluid change she seems to shift a bit easier and less "notchy" than before. I am unable to crawl under my car at this time due to a recent knee surgery so I had it done at a trusted shop; they charged me $30.00 in labor and it was completely worth it to me. I did fail to ask them what the fluid looked like, so I will definitely be changing the fluid again in the near future.
I want to say Thank You to everyone that has added to this thread. Without all of your postings I would have like used the VW dealer stuff.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Put it in your tank, ;)

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Commenting on an old thread but I used this GM fluid:
ACDelco-10-4006-Synchromesh from Amazon and it made a newly immediate difference in shift quality and cure my third gear clash I was experiencing.

I changed the factory fill at 120,000 miles and ran G072 (I think) until about 160,000. I had problems with third gear for the past year until I used the GM Syncromesh.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Synchromesh is synchromesh, AC Delco or Pennzoil are all the same.
ok, i just didn't know if there was a difference. The all yellow one has a gl3 rating (i read they needed gl4), and idk about the yellow and black bottle. i read of someone using the yellow and black bottle tho....