Murphy USA selling B5-B20

TDI_Matt

TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Not sure if this is national or just regional but Murphy USA/Walmart is selling bio blend here in North Georgia now. I know some regions of the country has lots of bio options but its a lot harder to come by here in the southeast.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
but its a lot harder to come by here in the southeast.
I hear that. Ever since moving back to TN I havent been able to run high percentages. This is why I am building my own reactor.

I just noticed the other day that my Walmart/Murphy station put up Biodiesel 5-20% blend stickers. This will be interesting to see how some take this since everyone here are AntiEthanol and most stations advertise "No Ethanol in Our Gas" signs. LOL

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Up until the beginning of summer my local Murphy/Walmart also had the label shown above. Then it was replaced by a label indicating biodiesel content of between 6 and 20%.

I've contacted Murphy and pointed out that all European diesel automakers and some in the US only allow up to 5% BD. Murphy claims that because they use SME, the 5% limit doesn't apply :rolleyes:

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG
I have had some issues with Murphy diesel. It seems I can get more miles from a tank filled with Chevron or BP diesel. It may just be a coincidence...

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
I have had some issues with Murphy diesel. It seems I can get more miles from a tank filled with Chevron or BP diesel. It may just be a coincidence...
I've noticed this myself. Got some good tanks on the BP "Premium Diesel" brand when I take my trips up north and stop at the BP at the exit I get onto the interstate.

Mitch

TDI
98 New Beetle / 03 Beetle DSG
I noticed the BioDiesel sticker on my Walmart/Murphy stations in the area this last month. I have filled up twice and noticed no difference in mileage.

The sticker wasn't specific on percentage and I asked the attendant who was clueless. I then sent 2 emails to Murphy USA and got prompt replies.

They claim the Bio in central Florida is B20 with a cetane rating of 55.

Is VW stance still set at 5%? I guess I will have to look elsewhere to buy my fuel, but I am wondering if in the near future it will be hard to find regular Diesel?

kapps

TDI
2014 Golf 6MT
Wow I'll have to check out the local walmart. It is hard to find bio down in Florida. Whenever I run past the Loves north of Daytona, I fill a quarter tank of their B5-B20. It seems like a 1-2% mix in the tank drastically reduces the wear scar.

VW has relaxed the 5% limit in states that require higher blends and just say to check the oil level more often and replace when it starts climbing due to fuel dilution. I still wouldn't 100% trust them to honor a warranty for a fuel system issue if they detect high levels of bio in the tank. Even though it it helping the fuel system with added lubricity. If the Cetane rating is actually is 55, that's some good diesel.

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
5% to 20% is not my idea of consistency. The only way to know for sure what goes in your tank is to blend it yourself. I believe in Nevada it is an "up to" standard, so B2 could be 0% to 2%. Not good enough.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Is VW stance still set at 5%? I guess I will have to look elsewhere to buy my fuel, but I am wondering if in the near future it will be hard to find regular Diesel?

I got a letter from vw saying that b20 is ok for my cjaa since I live in IL its almost impossible to get less than b11

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
The Walmarts where I am have this 5-20% Biodiesel sticker as well, so I avoid them.

kapps

TDI
2014 Golf 6MT
Well I stopped at the local walmart and there was no bio sticker on the pump. So either they don't have bio or they forgot to put the signs up.

TDI Tampa

TDI
2011 Jetta
I am on my 2nd tank of (Walmart) Murphy's Bio mass 5-20% Diesel from Pinellas Park, FL. I have a 2011 Jetta TDI and am assuming there would be no problem. I would like to keep using it due to at least 10 cents difference in price. Is quality in FLA the same as other states?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just so you know VW approves of only 5% or less. There is an exception in Ill. for owners there to be able to use up to B20. There is a state tax incentive to sell B11 or more and regular ULSD is harder to find for some. They are instructed to monitor oil levels and if they increase get the oil changed and maintain the schedule. I would follow this advice if you plan on keeping using it. The risk is up to you.

TDI Tampa

TDI
2011 Jetta
Thanks for your input. I like the idea of the fuel savings and also going a little bit more "Green"; however there is a risk involved, I will have to weigh the risk and probably stick to standard ULSD.

Thanks

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I wonder what my local(non Walmart affiliated) Murphy's Express is selling. Since that is where I've bought 99.9% of my fuel.