Timing Belt & Water Pump or just Timing Belt

Flashman2

Veteran Member
Well 92000 KM on my 2000 Golf and time to lay out some cash for a timing belt, but a water pump also? I have been asking around at VW Dealers in the Toronto and surrounding areas on the cost of replacement of my timing belt. Some of the service departments recommend that they replace the Water Pump at the same time. I’m asking for past experiences and opinions to help me on my decision.

DZLguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Jetta GLS TDI
I don't understand why they would want to replace the water pump. It's not part of the 90000km maintenance...just the belt (and oil change). I'd get both the timing belt and serpentine belt done at the same time. It may not be totally necessary to do the serpentine belt, but since it's gotta come off anyways to change the t-belt, it's as good a time as any to change it. It should cost you about $500 (not including oil change or pollen or air filters) to do the timing and serpentine belts.

Flashman2

Veteran Member
Four out of SIX dealers stated the VW “RECOMMENDS” that I replace the Water at the same time as the Timing belt. (Sounds like a tooth past commercial). Has anyone seen of this documentation or heard this before?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
well since you have to change the timing belt at the same time it is "cheaper" just to replace the pump while you have the timing belt off.

In reality it seems the reccomendation is to replace the pump every 2-3 timing belts. Not every one.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
I'm planning on having my water pump changed (for the first time) during my 2nd timing belt change at 120,000 miles.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
They are just covering their asses, if the waterpump decided to to fail prematurly it would cost you the motor, so the dealer wants to replace the waterpump ahead of time to avoid any future trouble with the customer. When I worked with VW we had a couple of Eurovan waterpumps fail after 130000kms, and wrote off the engine (2.4 diesel). Expensive repair! It is all a guessing game about the "time" to do preventive maintanace. I am leaving mine for the next belt, but mine is auto (hence 60k changes for the belt, not 90). The cost for a blet job in Ottawa is running $320-400.
Greg

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Since it runs off the TB, I think I'd replace it with the 2nd belt at least...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ric Woodruff:
I'm planning on having my water pump changed (for the first time) during my 2nd timing belt change at 120,000 miles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ric why would you do this on your A3, it doesn't run off the TB like the A4's. So no problem when it lets go. Boy, that seems wastful for your tastes. Just wait till it fails on the side of the road and drive it home anyway

slickfisher

Its not a bad idea to replace associated or exposed parts that will eventually need replacing when doing repairs in the same area of the vehicle. However, I think your probibly a little early. I've seen water pumps go at 10k and I've seen them last past 200k. If I were you I'd try to get by the shop while the w/pump was exposed. If its absolutely dry with absolutely no coolant residue at o-ring or weep hole and the bearings feel smooth- I would leave it alone and check it again at the next t-belt change.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Here's my thoughts, afterall, it's been a while since I had a new one
:

* OEM Waterpump is covered by the Powertrain Warranty for 100,000 miles.

* With a heavily modified TDI and manual transmission, I feel it's prudent to change the Timing Belt early, say at or NLT 50,000 miles, instead of the recommended 60,000.

* At 100,000 miles, Ol' Silver will be due for a second Timing Belt change and the Powertrain Warranty will no long cover the Waterpump. Hence, wisdom dictates that it's smart to spend an extra $75.00 on a new Waterpump and install it along with the misc. belts.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I just replaced the water pump and timing belt in my '92 Honda Civic, with the old timing belt having about another 2,000 to 3,000 miles left before 60,000 miles on it. Water pumps are not a major cost item, though they are a vital engine component. I'd play it safe and replace it. If it's covered by warranty and you're confident it will fail within that period, skip it. Otherwise replace it because once they're in there it's not much more labor to put in a new one.

Flashman2

Veteran Member
FYI......

For us Canadians we only get “80000 Km / 50000 Mile” Power Train Warranty. On the same car purchased in United States you receive, “10 Year 160000 KM or 100000 Mile Warranty" So maybe changing the water pump is not a bad idea......

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slickfisher:
Its not a bad idea to replace associated or exposed parts that will eventually need replacing when doing repairs in the same area of the vehicle. However, I think your probibly a little early. I've seen water pumps go at 10k and I've seen them last past 200k. If I were you I'd try to get by the shop while the w/pump was exposed. If its absolutely dry with absolutely no coolant residue at o-ring or weep hole and the bearings feel smooth- I would leave it alone and check it again at the next t-belt change.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said. I suggest changing the water pump on the A4 series TDI's at 120K strictly as a precaution. The odds are if the pump fails it will have a failure of the seal and start leaking coolant. Then as you suspect the belt will need to be changed. You can inpect the water pump with the belt on the weep hole is at the top of the pump.

DB

Sandycrk

Okay, I am a 2000NB TDI 11 months old with 38,000 Miles. When do I need to replace the timing belt? Doesn't VW say 40,000? Does practical experience give us some relief from that? Lobin' the car, but not looking forward to the expense or the service nightmares I see discussed here.

Ron Lee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005.5, Black w/ Pure Beige
Sandycrk,
As I understand it, 40K Miles for auto tranny, 60K miles for manual. Had mine done on Tuesday at 60K miles. Waterpump was keaking so it was replaced as well. I now recommend that you purchse a timing belt, TB tensioner, serpentine belt, and water pump. If do don't need to water pump at first TB change, you have it for the next one.