Jetta TDI Power Lag at 3300-3500 RPM

troutguy

Veteran Member
I need some advice about a power lag in a 2000 Jetta TDI. I am having a power lag in the engine when I get to about 3300-3500 RPM's. When the RPM's get above this level it seems to be fine. I can't figure it out and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

EWICATCHER

Troutguy,

I too have recently noticed a big power drain in my 2001 TDI. I am not sure of the exact rpm’s when the problem is the worst but it is definitely somewhere in the lows 3,000’s. When it gets to this point, the power just seems to flatten out and then it will eventually power through it. It does not seem to have near the power it once did. The mpg’s have also dropped a bit. I have 75,000 miles on it. I am thinking there is a problem with one of the injectors or the turbo. I plan on taking to VW to get it diagnosed soon.

Shawn

BAMA TDI

Veteran Member
Could be the MAF is slowly dying or it just needs cleaning. Maybe your snow screen is clogged and needs cleaning out. Could be your air filter starting to clog. The only thing in the above suggestions that would need VAG-Com is to check the MAF to see if is slowly dying on you or not.

troutguy

Veteran Member
Hey Guys-

I am sorry about getting back to this so late. A couple of weeks ago I was able to contact a VAG-COM owner here in NH. And in a very short time we were able to figure out that the MAF is going bad. We also cleaned the snow-shield as well.

Thanks to all your input guys. If you have the same problem I suggest you contact someone with the VAG-COM and test your car. It is well worth it. I understand the the stealership will bend you over for this diagnosis and part, when you can just get the part here on line for around $100 and can install this part yourself in about 20 min.

Good Luck Y'all,

Troutguy /images/graemlins/cool.gif