OBD Scan Tool

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
A little over a year ago, I bought a "Cheepo" scan tool and used it a few times without too much success. One time I got a good reading regarding the temperature relay but other than that, my readings were never in the manual supplied with the tool. I found out today that, according to the manufacturer, the tool doesn't support the diesel engine. Seems they forgot to mention that little whan my money was accepted.
Does anyone have any suggestion as to which OBD11 scanner would be the better purchase for me? I have no desire to completely screw with the electric workings of my car so a professional vag-com set up is not to my liking. I just want something that will tell me what the warning light are all about. To be honest, I will admit that I am not financially flush at this time or ever so I would like to hold the price down to the equivalennt price of three or four tankfuls of fuel.;)

penclnck

Well, it looks like the average price of diesel in your area is 2.99 (ouch). Figure I can stuff 15 gals into my car which comes up to $44.85 per fillup.

4 fillups then comes to $179.40. If you can handle just two more fillups, (really 1.5 more fillups) then you can get the real deal from Ross Tech. The KEY-USB will work on all VWs up to the 2005 year model and is only $249.

What happens when your airbag light comes on due to a weak battery (I had a car with this issue today no less). OBD scanners are of no use to you then. If your engine is the ALH version and you replace the timing belt, how are you going to set start of injection?

The latest factory scan tool, the 5051B was like $11,000 when new. They are junk (software updated just crashed the harddrive in our unit, then we've received two dud units in a row... see if tomarrow makes for 3 dud units). Anywho, $11,000 machine is junk, $249 KEY-USB is bargin city and you are the mayor!:rolleyes:

If you are going to work on your car, you've got to have the tools to do the job. For the last 15 years, part of working on our VWs has ment being able to talk to the computers in them. The KEY-USB is needed just as much as a screw driver and wrench if you plan to work on your VW.

... little food for though.

later.

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
OBD Scanners

Pencilneck;
Thank you for your informative reply. I believe you stated what I was thinking deep in the back of my mind. I just have to realize that there is no longer a really cheap way to do things properly. Hell, my "Panzerplate" was just a few dollars less than the price of the Vag-Com.
You were quite accurate with your cost of fueling. I was able to fill up for $43.85. With less than stellar planning, I got there just a few hours
before they dopped the price to $2.959!!! They must have been waiting for me to come by.:D

mcH

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
I realize cheap is cheap, but everytime I've had a CEL on, the neighborhood Advance Auto has used their Actron 9135 ODB scanner to diagnose it. It has been a great "cheap" tool... No, its not a VAG-COM, but it works. I think the starting price is around $80.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Yes I have an Actron 9135 scanner - yes I use it (mostly to clear P0740 codes). No ,it is not as good as a VagCom - the VagCom is on the "someday" list.

sootandclatter

Veteran Member
scooperhsd said:
Yes I have an Actron 9135 scanner - yes I use it (mostly to clear P0740 codes). No ,it is not as good as a VagCom - the VagCom is on the "someday" list.
I have a like new Hex-Com Intelligent Dual-K, Vag/Iso Interface Rev.B, I would like to sell. PM me. SC

altayr2

TDI
Audi 80 '94 1.9TDI
geezerb, if you have older TDI, KEY-USB will NOT WORK. You need HEX USB cable. Its very sad that there is no home use alternative to VAG-COM...

BeartheBruce

Vendor
geezerb, if you have older TDI, KEY-USB will NOT WORK.
Ummmm..... why do you say that? The KEY-USB is compatible with all models from 1990-2005.5 (except some Audis that changed to CAN in 2004). If the car is pre-1995, he will need a 2x2 adapter. But the KEY-USB will work with all diagnostic capable modules in the years I have listed.

See this page: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/interfaces.html

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
OBD Scanners

Thank you all for your replies to my question.
I popped for the vag-com and have taken delivery of it. Now the fun begins!!!
I now need to learn what-all else I need to use it properly. I have learned that the Bentley CD does not work with VISTA but am told that the CD is designed to be of the most use with vag-com. Can the paperback Bentleys be used working with the Bentleys? I am not intending to do any major reprograming or other wild stuff, just real civilized stuff to keep it running until I die (or there abouts).
That deal where you subscribe to an on line service does not look all that attractive to me as the price seems a bit on the steep side unless you are already dead in the water and I can't seem to learn when they will have a VISTA compatible CD out.
:confused:

penclnck

While having a Bentley is good and all, there are other ways to get info. Of course you can post your question here, and also over at VWVortex is a special forum just for Ross Tech customers:

VAG-COM Diagnostic Forum

When you start VAG COM, there is the "Auto Scan" button, click it and then from the drop menu on the left, select your car. Once it runs and scans every control module, you can click the "copy" button to copy the report to your clipboard, then in a post like this, you can do "ctrl+v" to paste that report right into your post. From there, help starts rolling in.

There is also an ongoing project with the Ross-Tech Wiki where you can search for fault codes and get some answers. While not complete, it is much better than what VWoA has.