Mk7 Golf R steering wheel in a GSW TDI?

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
Is the Mk7 Golf R steering wheel any different/nicer than the stock Mk7 Golf TDI steering wheel? If so, is it a DIY task to swap them out?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Pretty much the same except for the R logo. I can think of a lot of other things to spend $500.00 on...

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Is the Mk7 Golf R steering wheel any different/nicer than the stock Mk7 Golf TDI steering wheel? If so, is it a DIY task to swap them out?

Different, but "nicer" is a matter of opinion. The Mk7 R and GTI wheels are the same base with different trim, which changes based on model, year, and point of origin. The various trim pieces can be swapped out, but they are not cheap. The swap is an easy DIY, but you have to match up the steering wheel controls ahead of time- make sure that the one you are buying matches up with the controls you currently have. Check the vortex threads for more info. You must use the round airbag with the new wheel, the standard airbag will not match up. HTH.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
isn't the R wheel thicker?

Unless your current wheel is all torn to crap, I'd say add some red electrical tape in the center of the wheel to give you the sporty look and pocket the cash.

That or I have seen some nice wraps added on the stock wheel for much cheaper than buying new.