06 - Steer column and Ignition - Key won't turn.

A_Catalyst

TDI
Hi guys!

New to the forums, but I thought I would dive right in :)

I own an 06' that about 2 weeks ago reacted strangely to me taking my key out of the ignition, and then one week later the key wouldn't turn.
I tried using the Lube stuff that sprays into the key hole, but that only seemed to make things work.

With no other options available, I began to take the steering wheel apart, only to be reminded of the odd fact that my steering wheel seems to be VERY tight, and it has a bad tendency to get stuck.
Positioning the key JUST right allows me to reposition the wheel, but only slightly before it hits some kind've barrier in the column or bumps up against the key.

All that said of course, I really just want to be able to turn my ignition.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

~ Michael

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yes, oh yes
Had the same issue with my bosses Euro Van(kinda) And in my neighbors VR6 Golf MK3
You are going to need to replace and or rebuild your ignition switch. its broken. Its either they key drum and pins are so badly worn that its binding or the pin in the arm connecting them is bent or broke. Many things go bad in this POS under engineered VW bullhonky
you must take the battery disconnected, air bag off, then the wheel then a bunch of parts like turn signal and so forth, then take off the ignition housing, this also holds the column lock bolt. Pull it apart and figure it out. If the part is relatively the same as i remember, you use a small drill bit and drill a hole on the side so you can reach a pick in and release the spring clip BS holding it in. Find the video on youtube. You will need some small picks and a drill and drill bits and a steady hand.