Possible VE issues, help diagnose!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The weird thing is that when I did the TB 500 miles ago, all was good. Timing, start, smoke, etc. Maybe the belt stretched.
I put the 3rd belt on my car not long ago. (I did all 3)
None were loose in any way.

If the belt is loose the exhaust valves may hit the pistons. (iIrc) :)

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, I always turn the IP pump pulley away from the cam when putting in a new belt and then release the tensioner then tighten the cam bolt.
It helps keep the alignment of the pump and cam when the tensioner puts pressure on the belt.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Final Update - And thanks everybody, you've all been super helpful!

I've resolved the hard start/smoke/power issues.

Reset the timing belt, and, once I got the IP set properly, pin in the right hole, it fired on the first crank with no smoke.

I have done the final timing with VAGCOM and by adjusting the center nut on the IP pulley. It is set to slightly advanced. I will check this periodically until I feel confident it is good.

The weird thing is that when I did the TB 500 miles ago, all was good. Timing, start, smoke, etc. Maybe the belt stretched. I no longer think the tensioner had slipped now that I have familiarized myself with it again. Note that I have not driven this car much since I have owned it, about 500 miles in 5 months. It's been a project and I'm solving one problem at a time. I think I get to start on the next one now. Thanks again!

Clem, just a note, those belts usually don’t stretch that much over even their entire life. Now that you have been able to start the motor you may want to recheck the tensioner pulley adjustment marks and confirm that it is still spot on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah, THL said.
I just did my sons golf, he has about 95,xxx on his TB set up.
Prior to changing everything I checked where everything was.
It was spot on from when I set it when I first got his car and did the TB.