South Bend Stage 3 Daily vs 2 Endurance

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
So I'm curious does someone have experience with both? Besides the torque holding and pedal feel is one better than the other?

What about longevity? Does Endurance last longer than Daily? Or just marketing wank.

I have read the forums for about an hour and dont see any direct comparison.

My power goals will be sub 200HP 03 ALH (Malone STG3 PP520 10mm IP Stock Turbo currently) but plan for PP764 or R520 and Stealth 1756 (27 PSI) in a year or 2.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I have stage 3 daily on my 02, and it slipped with malone stage 4 with vnt17.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
very weird, usually people get away with a VR clutch (not ideal but people do it)

Most people go for stage 2 endurance, would opt for that.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've driven both, you should be fine with the stage 2.stage 3 has a really heavy clutch pedal.

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
Busted bolts you say my tune is that a Malone STG4 Custom. Any chance youhave dyno #? So Malone STG3 for 20k miles just started slipping clutch. Its supposedly instant. I just want to replace it once and never worry again.

Neo Morg besides heavy petal and other cons?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
max you'll see on a stage 4 with a 1749vb is around 165whp/310wtq on an accurate dyno with fairly aggressive fueling.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Busted bolts you say my tune is that a Malone STG4 Custom. Any chance youhave dyno #? So Malone STG3 for 20k miles just started slipping clutch. Its supposedly instant. I just want to replace it once and never worry again.
Neo Morg besides heavy petal and other cons?
Price tag, that's really all. Oh and my slave cylinder failed within 5 miles of the new clutch. New slave, and since then I slip it intentionally and it doesn't hesitate to grab. I'd probably do it again, but that's also because I like heavy clutches.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I would be willing to bet that the stage 3 clutch that slipped wasn't properly bedded...my S2E did the same thing and southbend said drive it harder...after that I've never had a single issue

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
According to the previous owner the clutch in my car is over 80k miles. The car did dyno at 171whp and I believe tq was 374. Also the tune may have been Malone stage 5

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I have the enduro and im pushing 200HP+ with malone stage 6 custom tune on 764's and a gt252 head work, 32PSI, and a bunch of other crazy stuff. never once did that clutch wimp out on me.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
374 sounds a little optimistic for 170hp but if it were making that and the clutch was abused...maybe it'd slip...I've only got 50k on my S2E and minimal torturing. I figure I'm somewhere in the 150-160hp range and it has never felt close to slipping if there were such a feeling...it bites hard and that's it, end of story.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I'd vote for stage 2 endurance every time.The Southbend HD pressure plate is not fun for a daily driver IMO,I've ran it before.I'm currently on my second stage 2 endurance clutch and good used SMF.Not many people wear out a clutch and still decide to get the same thing again.

Depends on if you don't mind some noise/chatter with endurance and light pedal or a heavier clutch pedal with a quiet smooth engagment on stage 3 daily.

Also I'd bet that the stage 2 endurance would out last the stage 3 daily if driving aggresively.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd vote for stage 2 endurance every time.The Southbend HD pressure plate is not fun for a daily driver IMO,I've ran it before.I'm currently on my second stage 2 endurance clutch and good used SMF.Not many people wear out a clutch and still decide to get the same thing again.

Depends on if you don't mind some noise/chatter with endurance and light pedal or a heavier clutch pedal with a quiet smooth engagment on stage 3 daily.

Also I'd bet that the stage 2 endurance would out last the stage 3 daily if driving aggresively.
The first time I kicked the S2E, I thought something was wrong...it was so light it didn't feel like it'd hold more power but yes...S2E for the win

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I can't recall how many years or miles that it lasted.It lived a hard life at 200whp for at least 3 years.I did drag race with the car and launched it in 2nd gear with drag slicks and an LSD.Now that they have made the same clutch "silent" its just that much better.