1989 Golf Cabrio PD Compound Turbo

rezzzaaa

TDI
n/a
Hey guys, I’ve been a long time visitor of the tdi pages. I just recently started a diesel swap on my gas 89 Golf.

I’ve owned the car for 5 years. Bought it stock. Done a bunch of stuff to it, enjoyed it. Decided to paint the car, pull the gas engine out and swap in a diesel.

I picked up a 1.9bew block from a mk4. A low km head from a brm and I got a new set of Bhm pistons from a 2.0 Passat. My 1st thoughts were to keep it simple. So I can drive it, to and from shows. That idea didn’t last long. The gas engine previous was fairly complex and I enjoyed the challenge. So I decided to go the compound route.

Right now I have the engine striped and ready for sand blasting. Then it will head to the machine shop to have the cylinders bored out to accept the new pistons. Once it’s back. Assemble the block, new forged rods and arp hardware to hold it all together. And some fun fab work to make it all work.

Here’s a few pics.. I’ll post some more as I go :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Nice looking 89 Cabriolet, great platform for a swap and following to see how it goes, good luck!
I’ve got a 01 TT coupe with a stock 04 BEW and Rocketchip III tune with 18” Porshe rims 6SP manual and quattro drive & lowered a bit.

rezzzaaa

TDI
n/a
Thanks guys!!

That TT is awesome! How do you like the Bew in there?

This was my last engine in the cabby. It was around 300hp. I know this time round my hp will be a little lower. I think I’ll be happy with 270, and more torque.

Painted the head and some of the other bits, I love the Cat yellow.. I know it’s been done a bunch, but it’s a classic theme and will really pop with the new colour of the car!

Next up is fabricating the exhaust from the smaller turbo to the larger one. I had a friend fabricate an adaptor for the 2056 turbo.. so I can mount that to an oem flange. Then the larger turbo will sit bellow it and slightly to the left.

Ideally I’d like to go with some custom exhaust bends. But with so much going on, I have to have a realistic budget. I may revisit that later.

For the intake, I will recycle the custom plenum from the old engine. Water jet a flange and weld some 90 degree bends. It should sit in a similar spot to the oem intake, just a hell of a lot bigger.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
The TT is a lot of fun gets about 35 miles to the gallon if I keep my foot out of it and has a good amount of torque.
The only thing is with the six speed transmission the gearing is pretty short and the final gear is definitely not as high as I want it to be.
I’d like to be able to cruise more and get a little better gas mileage on the highway, the first three shifts are really short but it is a lot of fun!
What trans are you gonna use and what final drive ratio do you expect?

rezzzaaa

TDI
n/a
Yeah I guess it all comes down to how much you’re on the pedal. I think with the old set up I’d get maybe 8mpg on boost and maybe 20 on the highway.

I have a o2j in there right now, with a hard centre stage 4, 5 puck clutch. I haven’t played with ratios yet. I definitely need to change the 5th gear. Even before it wasn’t great. I’d like to stay away from swapping in a 6 speed.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Yeah I’m probably just gonna leave mine like it is it tach’s about 3300 RPM at 80 mph which is way too high for the BEW to cruise decently but it’s just so much problem to get the correct European transmission with the right final drive ratio since I have the Cuatro drive

rezzzaaa

TDI
n/a
Yeah that’s definitely something for me to think about. Although once I’m finished building this car. I don’t wanna high way it too much, even in the summer there are rocks all over the place.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Totaled my 2015 SEL Jetta last Sunday! Hit broadside by a Super Duty and a Tahoe and walked away with only bumps and bruises!!
She was a six speed manual with the Fender audio also.

rezzzaaa

TDI
n/a
Started to re assemble the head. Mounted the small turbo, need to take a few measurements to make two flanges, one for the exhaust on the 2056 and the 2nd for the t3.

Got in touch with Mec Evo in Quebec, they will be installing and recalibrating my injectors with firad 100+. They should be good for 300hp.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Looking great!
Bought my replacement commuter car 2015 Passat CPO car! SEL model with DSG (amazing transmission!) and the Fender sound system. 24K mi brand new rotors pads tires wheels battery and reprogramming as well as free SiriusXM 3months with live traffic maps! Style with some go.

rezzzaaa

TDI
n/a
Awesome!! I’m in the same boat. I need to buy a new daily.

I’ve been looking at the mk6 golf wagon TDI. Should be perfect for what I need. Throw a hitch on it and pull my cabby around wit it!

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Yea I looked at some of those and the blue looks awesome but the high trim cars are hard to find or they go fast!
Good luck and post up pics when you get one!

rezzzaaa

TDI
n/a
There seems to be a lot here. I will for sure! Hopefully sooner then later!!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Any more progress pics on the Cabrio swap?

I'm planning on upgrading my 04 Jetta that has a BEW engine in it and I'm at the point where I'll have to start beefing up the internals if I want it to stay together, so I'm really interested in what parts you're using to upgrade your engine.

Either way awesome build and I'm looking forward to seeing it all together.

If you or noplug need a transmission talk to Frans on here in the vendor section. He has 6 speed transmissions for a great price and even has some 6 speed 4 motions transmissions available.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593
His website: http://www.dutchautoparts.com/

Another person to check with is Chris at Korwerks LLC. He's only on Facebook at the moment.
https://www.facebook.com/AWDTDI/?__xts__[0]=68.ARAYZIjef7U3CizElvCegz0q4PtOlBMKpxQu88qtWsqLuYUnd6i9imDVdT-sFHP3E4C_yLsrhLNE0hVIzDaBcL7-Ka_rBwxwzFH5rzB5hrLsdPTaHe0Wule1eJBfpXAO02cg_Qh0-hAquDBPwFcSPm7rOY7beFSU5_OMI3yNy7o4DHvkkqbkeZucVswDk58zWYa6WEN93Li8ZUHiuB1C0yI1OkGD0InwQEW8vYFBtxJQ7RbiTeXHVUEKNTB5mS6HSzLHode29HaTbnVQzJKtsbvgsZhfehkDaXdzl3S4ScsW941wVH4w2kI1upHiZnhmZyD1WXR6YTjxS6OtGs9Beg

Good luck with your build. :)