Metalnerd 2" lift on 2000 Jetta tire suggestions

taser

TDI
Jetta
Will be installing the lift shortly for a move back to montana...I'm looking at the 205/75r15 haycocks right now. I don't mind a little rub because eventually I'll probably trim the fenders. With that being said, what are the suggestions for tires with minor rubbing with the lift installed? I'm keeping the stocks springs and going with Koni reds.

NonStop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Jetta
I did the DIY lift and run a set of cheap used set of tiger paws to see how it would handle the size.
Been over a year now.

taser

TDI
Jetta
Sorry, I should have been more specific...I'm looking for tire size suggestions. Also any suggestions on spacers or wheels to push the tires out flush with the body

NonStop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Jetta
Tires I'm running are 205/75/15. Little bit of rub of inner fender well at full steer.

I'm interested in the spacers too? 30mm too much?

taser

TDI
Jetta
30mm sounds about right...anyone have any pictures of someone running them?

Nonstop, can you post a picture of your car or pm me one?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The problem with going with taller tires is the odometer & speedometer are no longer accurate, and fuel economy suffers. With wider tires, traction in snow is worse too.
Have you tried adapting the instrument cluster impulse distance number in VCDS to correct the error?

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
Have you tried adapting the instrument cluster impulse distance number in VCDS to correct the error?
No, although I suspect your message wasn't directed at me. I have OE-spec tires on it now. When I got it, the previous owner (who put the lift on as well) had tires next size taller and next size wider. They came off within a week of me getting the car.

lirunaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI, Model Year:2006 Code:6 MFG:07/05 Vin:9BWGR61J364004114 Sales Model:9B1 538 Description:1.9 TDI High 100 Engine:BEW Type:TD CCM:1896 KW:74 Description:Pumpe-D... Transmission:GPC Type:A Number:09AH GVWR:4097 Front:2269 Rear:1850
205/75R15 rubbed too much for me, but I don't have the lift. They should be good with a lift.

Alien92

TDI
2004 Jetta
I made an account also to ask what size tire I should run.

I have the Metalnerd 2 inch lift installed on my 2004 Jetta, and I'm looking for tires to buy.

I was thinking of going with 215/70/15. Has anybody ran this tire size on their cars with any big issues?

Thank you.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
That's the same size I want to try just did the DIY lift and sit shocked the rear also put one inch spacers on each side

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
currently on 215/75/15 on the rear and 205/75/15 trailer tires on the front

with sagged out stock height suspension
no rubbing and I drive hard enough that the rear sway bar rod in the axle beam is broken

ETA: was also running 215/65/16 on the rear for a while with a different set of wheels
ETA2: oh, and all the mudflaps have been thrown away long ago, that might be why mine does better than most in tire clearance

Last edited:

peteguenther

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hey have any of you with lifted cars found the that the front lift stiffened your ride or reduced travel? It's basically just a 2" tall bushing that moves the upper coil holder down the strut right ? I have VR6 springs in front and tow springs rear for about an inch of lift but I want more.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Just did the 2 in DIY and am happy as can be. I am running 215/70/15 geolanders a little rub but nothing unbearable. I trimmed about a half off my bumber but it sags I have photos of it in my album but IDK how to load it on here

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

FWIW I am running Hankook Kinergy tires 205 75 R15 ... suspension in front is Koni special active with Lesjofors VR6 springs (not sure if that amounts to lift or not .... I took measurements to fender well before and after .... Ill have to see if I can find them).

Only minor rub full lock in reverse ....Maybe some forward but not sure ... I don't cycle suspension much (no big bumps etc) so not sure if they rub full stroke of suspension).

I really wanted 215 or 225 75 15 for making a higher effective gear ratio for cruising and increasing ground clearance... 205 / 75/15 does help my fuel mileage and increases ground clearance which is good. .... maybe somebody can go big with little or no lift?

I am having 1" lift spacers installed this weekend to level out the car (reduce forward rake) ... maybe better aero ? Also to get back the ground clearance I lost when installing the metal skid plate (evolution).

I'm not sure the lift will reduce full lock or nearly full lock steering rub ( mainly on the pass side tire against the intercooler piping) since that is pobably the job of offset and wheel spacers?

Anyways, interesting thread .... hope to learn alot from this ...

Andrew

PS - It slipped my mind but while installing the 1" spacer for lift , I was also having harder rubber form 034 installed as well ( I think its called strut busging?) .... maybe that won't crush as much keeping ride height in front up higher under load or at rest ? (mainly did it to stiffen up steering response and feel tho).

Loaded with weight (about 600 lbs as far forward towards the front seats and biased to the driver side a bit as possible) and front passenger , the right rear tire will rub ( luckily did not rub through) on the plastic fender well "bulge" on bumps ( I assume this bump if for the gas tank filler tube but have not pulled the liner to see what is behind it ... If possible I may heat gun and flatten the bump so it won't rub if I haul heavy).

Last edited:

Luke Skywalker

TDI
2002 MKIV Jetta
Thanks for your replies. I'm going with the metalnerd 2" kit and I guess I'm going to run 205/70R15 Geolandar A/T's. Do your Geolandars rub at all jmodge? I wanted a more aggressive tread but can't find in that size. I can get a General Grabber A/TX 215/75R15 but I think they will be too tall. I found the Hankook Kinergy but they seem to be more of a street tire. I don't know, maybe the shop guys can tell me what tire will work.

Greazy-Rider

TDI
'96 Passat TDI 310Kmiles (donated), 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Thanks for your replies. I'm going with the metalnerd 2" kit and I guess I'm going to run 205/70R15 Geolandar A/T's. Do your Geolandars rub at all jmodge? I wanted a more aggressive tread but can't find in that size. I can get a General Grabber A/TX 215/75R15 but I think they will be too tall. I found the Hankook Kinergy but they seem to be more of a street tire. I don't know, maybe the shop guys can tell me what tire will work.
On my wagon with a 2" lift, the 205/70R-15 Yokohama Geolandar A/T's don't rub. The actual lift in the front is a little shy of 2" ( I used a couple of stacked nuts on the front). I also was looking for something a bit grippier, but couldn't find anything at the time. They've been on for three years or so, and they look about like a regular street tire these days.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Mine don’t rub either, they wear good. A decent all around tire