What does the clutch pedal switch do?

Razooki

TDI
2001 TDI
I noticed that after having the master and slave clutch cylinders my cruise control no longer works. I checked all brake light bulbs and they are OK. I was under the dash checking the brake light switch (I have the updated green one) and it seems to be working OK but when I checked the switch on the clutch pedal it was not being pushed in by the clutch pedal when at rest?

Thanks,

raz

lost1wing

Veteran Member
TDI
2003, 2003, 2002, 2000 ,2000
I think you need to bleed your clutch a little better so the pedal returns at the way up. Then the switch will make contact and the cruise will work. Try it!

Razooki

TDI
2001 TDI
Lost1wing, I doubt that is the problem since I tried moving the pedal up by hand and it is at the end of its' travel - it will not move up any more. I measured the plunger from the old one and the new one (FTE brand) and it seems that the new one has a plunger shorter by about 1". Is that possible?

lost1wing

Veteran Member
TDI
2003, 2003, 2002, 2000 ,2000
Razooki said:
I measured the plunger from the old one and the new one (FTE brand) and it seems that the new one has a plunger shorter by about 1". Is that possible?
I guess you have found the problem. Like the last poster said adjust the switch. I was just guessing that you had done something with the master and slave cylinders when the problem started.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
When I purchased my car used, the previous owner told me the cruise did not work. I removed the 2-wire leads going into the switch and connected the two wires with a 3rd wire. Suddenly the cruise worked. I left it this way for sometime until I got a new switch. Perhaps you could attach something to the clutch pedal are to make it thicker in the area of the switch? This would activate the switch. My 2 cents.

Razooki

TDI
2001 TDI
I was not aware that the switch could be adjusted to account for this problem. I will take a look at it tonight and see if I can do it ( I assume it's a matter of screwing or unscrewing something). Failing that I was thinking of putting something on the pedal to make it trigger the switch.

Thanks,

raz

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol you realize that thread is 9 years old.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
11 years old....

And, in reference to the MK4 (and others I assume), there are two separate and distinct clutch switches............ one for cruise cut out (normally closed) and one for the Starter Relay (normally open) ...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Damn , my math was off......

timeline

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta waggon TDI
I'm having an issue that requires me to engage the clutch several times to get the car to start. Could this be the switch or start relay? Should I replace both. Likely 18 years old.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’d suspect the ignition switch.
When your in that no start zone, if you jiggle the key while turning does it crank?