Lowered and rough

Updatelee

TDI
2003 Golf
I bought this car already lowered. It's a 2003 golf 4dr TDI. It looks great lowered but is a very back breaking ride. It's strange because in some ways it's smooth as silk, small cracks in the road are nothing, a million times better then my Honda fit. But frost heaves are brutal, coffee everywhere, you swallow your spine. Horrible. Car almost gets airborne.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HVR4cjFhYw5fqCup7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EEDzSf2fzbUcjwvp6

I could only get a good picture of the rear suspension but look at the springs, they already look fully compressed. This normal on lowered springs?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BAnRuKW4LyqG2PMk6

Sorry I can't figure out how to attach photos.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Welcome!

That spring ain't normal. Add to that the what? 2.5" sidewall on the tires?
I'd be willing to bet a full suspension refresh is in your near future:)
Also, if you're new to the MKIV, be advised that at the stock height, the (aluminum) oil pan rides about 4" above the asphalt.
It wouldn't take much to open that pan up. If you feel a big scrape and your oil light comes on, please just shut off the motor. Don't try to "get somewhere" other than a safe pull-out.
Recommend: SACHS (OEM) dampers all around, go back to stock height, new springs.
If you do choose to keep it lowered, look into a protective belly plate like the dieselgeek panzer.
Enjoy your new ride! BTW how many miles on it?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
The concrete highways in Edmonton can be rough in my experience. At least you don’t have too many big potholes. You will find lots of opinions as to what shocks and springs people like with a little searching. I like my Koni Reds, good balance of ride vs handling. Check out IDParts for pricing on springs and struts. I also recommend reading the ‘What is handling’ thread stickied at the top of the forum, it discusses the effects of lowering a MKIV, mostly not good. If you still intend to run lowered a skidplate under the engine is recommended, the pan is aluminum and will crack or disintegrate with a small impact. I’m lifted slightly and have bent my skidplate so far it needs spacers to not rub on the engine. ‘Beef on a budget’ thread is also worth checking out.

Updatelee

TDI
2003 Golf
Thanks guys. I will read the thread mentioned.

I think the car looks great but it's a family vehicle so maybe it's best I get new springs and bring it up again. My back won't be able to survive long road trips as is lol

I was looking at the Evo belly pan, I think there is a distributor in Calgary, concept1, that I can get one for $350

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Updatelee,

Get a skid plate whatever you do, cheap insurance. And after you've spent
a couple hours on the "what is handling" thread, you might realize that
lowered is bad in a multitude of ways. Why people think it "looks good"
is beyond me, it doesn't work to "improve" anything, and in spite of claims
from the boy racer types, actually degrades handling.

I recommend a mild lift of an inch or so, get some Konis and some heavier
springs. And while you're at it, go over the front end, these cars drive great
when you've got it properly set up, and comfortable.

My $.02.