Compound turbos vs supercharger->turbo

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Yup I was envisioning a twin screw roots style when I posted. Forgot all about the centrifugal style :p. I should refrain from posting after enjoying taco and tequila Tuesday :D

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Have you ever seen v-valley on v6 or v8 tdi [emoji23]
sadly there are about a hundred of them in the states it seems, and none of them are in my price range

I was talking about the trailer park standard tree fitty chevy

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
06E145601 if you're going to put any kind of supercharger on a TDI.
I'll preface this by saying I didn't look at any maps, do any math, or research. My gut feeling is that a smaller supercharger being fed by a bigger turbo would be more beneficial than the other way around wouldn't it?

The idea is that you have supercharger response to the low end, then turbo fed supercharger power, any thoughts on that Dave?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
IMEP is a more useful metric for performance than BSFC
IMO

Last edited:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
i asked about twincharging a TDI a while back, and no matter what kind of mental gymnastics i did, it really only made sense if i did it like this:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member-s-area/projects/50702-urs4-2-2t-avant-project/page99

the diagram @ post 1478 shows it decent,

1st airbox --> super -->turbo

2nd airbox with one way valve for when the turbo is drawing more than the super can flow through it---> also going to turbo

and if you arent trying to do this piecemeal budget roadkill style or full blown race car, compounds always seem to make more sense