What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I fount it was helpful to remove the seat heater/hazard/blank buttons, so you can reach into the vent and pull up, easing the clips out.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
limp mode - failed intercooler

Today I found the reason for my recent frustrating bout with limp mode.

And a little closer view:

It would appear that the shroud that hangs in front of the intercooler and is intended to direct air into the intercooler has, in my case, worn a stripe through the bottom outside of the aluminum tubes. This is what caused my limp mode (charge pressure negative deviation, or words to that effect).

I found this and was lucky enough to find a local guy who is parting out several VWs and had an intercooler. I installed it and the limp mode is gone.

Unfortunately, the performance is still rather anemic. I am thinking at this point that the large nozzles I was trying out (Bosch 1019s, 216 um) combined with the lack of boost clogged the aftermarket catalytic converter (another ugly story - I HATE inspections). How best to clean that out, if it is indeed the problem I think it is, is the next chapter in lost performance. I've changed back to stock nozzles, not that it helps the anemic performance. Sigh...

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
PH you could always (cough, cough ) hog out ( cough, cough ) the cat (cough,cough ).so visually it’s still there.... ; )

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Today I found the reason for my recent frustrating bout with limp mode.

And a little closer view:

It would appear that the shroud that hangs in front of the intercooler and is intended to direct air into the intercooler has, in my case, worn a stripe through the bottom outside of the aluminum tubes. This is what caused my limp mode (charge pressure negative deviation, or words to that effect).

I found this and was lucky enough to find a local guy who is parting out several VWs and had an intercooler. I installed it and the limp mode is gone.

Unfortunately, the performance is still rather anemic. I am thinking at this point that the large nozzles I was trying out (Bosch 1019s, 216 um) combined with the lack of boost clogged the aftermarket catalytic converter (another ugly story - I HATE inspections). How best to clean that out, if it is indeed the problem I think it is, is the next chapter in lost performance. I've changed back to stock nozzles, not that it helps the anemic performance. Sigh...

Cheers,

PH
YUP! My BEW intercooler met the same fate! You didn't hear it "chuffing" at idle? I heard the "chuffing" for awhile before I was finally able to finally pressure test my system.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Found a screw in my tire. Tire was at 10psi, bumped it up to around 35psi, I'll check it tomorrow to see how bad the leak is. Tire has warranty, so I'll be taking it in first thing Monday.

Did an oil change.
Replaced my large fan, it works now.
And also drained and replaced my trans fluid; around 2.1 quarts of Pennzoil synchromesh. Although, I'm concerned now, i notice this Synchromesh has "API GL-3 level performance." And i have read here something of us needing GL4 for our mk4s. What say you smart folks?
Is it the right or wrong stuff?
(Pennzoil synchromesh for GM 12345349 and 12345577 meets 9985648 and Chrysler 4874464 meets MS-9224)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Found a screw in my tire. Tire was at 10psi, bumped it up to around 35psi, I'll check it tomorrow to see how bad the leak is. Tire has warranty, so I'll be taking it in first thing Monday.

Did an oil change.
Replaced my large fan, it works now.
And also drained and replaced my trans fluid; around 2.1 quarts of Pennzoil synchromesh. Although, I'm concerned now, i notice this Synchromesh has "API GL-3 level performance." And i have read here something of us needing GL4 for our mk4s. What say you smart folks?
Is it the right or wrong stuff?
(Pennzoil synchromesh for GM 12345349 and 12345577 meets 9985648 and Chrysler 4874464 meets MS-9224)

You would be better off running a GL-4. The lubrication additives help with synchronizers and smoother shifting. Don’t use GL5 because it may say meets GL4, which is true, but is actually too slick and causes grinding between gears. Fried had that issue and we switched to a high quality GL4 and smooth as new.

I used Amsoil GL-4 gear oil which meets VW specs and shifting smoother out a lot.

06 Golf 5MT, BEW, Kerma tune, Catectomy, Bypass oil filter system

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
YUP! My BEW intercooler met the same fate! You didn't hear it "chuffing" at idle? I heard the "chuffing" for awhile before I was finally able to finally pressure test my system.
Old ears - and no, I didn't. I did a little driving yesterday before digging into the system (pulling enough stuff off to see the extra oil on the outside of the intercooler) and thought I could hear a boost leak somewhere.

I just don't drive it much right now.

csstevej: I did that a while ago, but did it by cutting and then re-welding the 'can'. An overzealous inspector* accused me of cutting out the cat's gut and forced me to replace it with an aftermarket unit. Performance has been on a downhill slide ever since, so I'll have to figure out how to do it without external evidence. Note to self and any interested parties: don't try and weld stainless, particularly thin, rusty 409 crap that barely qualifies as stainless, with a flux core mig welder with no gas. Welds horribly, looks like crap, and has a few other onerous ugly qualities I would just as soon forget.

Anyway, it'll probably take me a while to finish this cure out as I have some other very pressing projects to occupy me right now. The CEL is out, the error isn't returning, so I'll ignore it for the moment.

Cheers,

PH

* - I don't hold it against the guy. He was under severe pressure from a state eunuch who thinks it is his calling in life to make things difficult for people who actually work for a living. I figure the state twit is a disappointed bureaucrat who thinks he ought to get statues built in his image for his tree hugging attitude while seeking breathable exhaust from the rest of us.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Wow, used to to that way in N.J. Too years ago, then they went with private company to do DMV and inspections.......it went from one extreme to the other.......first it was natzism......couldn’t get a car through inspection, even if a running light was out.......to now it’s like who gives a $**t.....windshield cracked, bumper falling off, rust holding car together.....as long as the CEL isn’t tampered with and emissions are good through the OBDII port.......have a nice day!

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Old ears - and no, I didn't. I did a little driving yesterday before digging into the system (pulling enough stuff off to see the extra oil on the outside of the intercooler) and thought I could hear a boost leak somewhere.
I just don't drive it much right now.
csstevej: I did that a while ago, but did it by cutting and then re-welding the 'can'. An overzealous inspector* accused me of cutting out the cat's gut and forced me to replace it with an aftermarket unit. Performance has been on a downhill slide ever since, so I'll have to figure out how to do it without external evidence. Note to self and any interested parties: don't try and weld stainless, particularly thin, rusty 409 crap that barely qualifies as stainless, with a flux core mig welder with no gas. Welds horribly, looks like crap, and has a few other onerous ugly qualities I would just as soon forget.
Anyway, it'll probably take me a while to finish this cure out as I have some other very pressing projects to occupy me right now. The CEL is out, the error isn't returning, so I'll ignore it for the moment.
Cheers,
PH
* - I don't hold it against the guy. He was under severe pressure from a state eunuch who thinks it is his calling in life to make things difficult for people who actually work for a living. I figure the state twit is a disappointed bureaucrat who thinks he ought to get statues built in his image for his tree hugging attitude while seeking breathable exhaust from the rest of us.
Sent

Some "people" who are running an IDparts downpipe and Buzzken exhaust have the cat mounted with stainless band clamps. Those stainless band clamps allow a stainless "test pipe" with a slip on one end to be swapped in after inspection in less than 15 minutes. Similarly, the cat can be reinstalled for inspection every two years. All stainless parts and neverseize are key. Works like a charm, or so I've been told.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
You would be better off running a GL-4. The lubrication additives help with synchronizers and smoother shifting. Don’t use GL5 because it may say meets GL4, which is true, but is actually too slick and causes grinding between gears. Fried had that issue and we switched to a high quality GL4 and smooth as new.

I used Amsoil GL-4 gear oil which meets VW specs and shifting smoother out a lot.

Every single thread about this is just like your reply. DO NOT USE GL5, USE GL4.
This Pennzoil synchromesh bottle says nothing of GL5 and nothing of GL4.
But does specify its good for GL3 applications.

Looks like i needed the darker yellow bottle. Guess I'll track some of that down and try to swap it out.

Does anyone have an idea if the GL3 will give me tranny issues if i run it for 600 miles???

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A lot of people (including me) use Synchromesh (Pennzoil number 3501) in 02J transmissions. I find it's better than the OE gear oil, particularly in older transmissions, as it smooths shifting and helps minimize issues with worn synchros. I have it in 4 TDIs right now, including my son's 400K transmission that was grinding on the 3/4 shift before the synchromesh went in. Problem solved. Lots of people here have had similar results.

The technical data sheet I found https://www.evolubesupply.com/content/docs/dfec1cc5-4f28-4910-b894-a22d2dbaa35e/pds.pdf makes no mention or GL4 or GL5. Does say "excellent yellow metal compatibility."

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
A lot of people (including me) use Synchromesh (Pennzoil number 3501) in 02J transmissions. I find it's better than the OE gear oil, particularly in older transmissions, as it smooths shifting and helps minimize issues with worn synchros. I have it in 4 TDIs right now, including my son's 400K transmission that was grinding on the 3/4 shift before the synchromesh went in. Problem solved. Lots of people here have had similar results.

The technical data sheet I found https://www.evolubesupply.com/content/docs/dfec1cc5-4f28-4910-b894-a22d2dbaa35e/pds.pdf makes no mention or GL4 or GL5. Does say "excellent yellow metal compatibility."
I'd read alot of the threads about it.
One thread(60ish posts) had a link to the darker Pennzoil bottle, not the 3501.
It appears 3501 is the product I have(indicated 3501 next to the barcode) so, with your clarification, thats the right stuff. Pennzoil Synchromesh 3501 for GM and Chrysler.
Sweet.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I went for a sunset cruise last evening. The wagon is running so smooth right now.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
It was challenging on the Golf because the '99.5 has different plumbing to the vents than later cars.
If I had a nickel for everything different on the '99.5...

Cluster, ECU, airbag controller, parking brake cables, rear calipers, turbo bracket, turbo oil return, turbo->intercooler pipe, shift tower, shift cables, shift box, fan control relay, N75, ASV, MAP sensor, hard coolant pipe...the list goes on.

I've replaced many of these on my Golf with the newer versions. Disappointing to hear about the air vents as that was on my to-do list and I've already replaced the heater core (plus Climatronic swap at the same time) and not eager to pull the dash again.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Among other things, I checked my fuel injection timing.

It was retarded.

But, it was within spec with stretch bolts, so I'm going to save it for my next TB job.
I have stretch bolts on my car. I've loosened and reused them three times. For a stock car I'd say it's a safe gamble, especially if fuel economy has taken a hit.

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Changed the oil and filter using the vacuum process for the first time. I find this an amazingly easy effort. Also washed the spring pollen and winter grim/mold. Looks and runs great.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Changed inner fender to the vented type this was what came when I bought the car

A few variances but it loooks much better now!

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Inspected my leak repairs on the engine, apparently the Crank Position Sensor o-ring was the source of all the oil loss that I'd been experiencing.

I didn't wait for the "correct" o-ring, but instead used one that fit on the barrel of the sensor, and put the collar that held the original (extra thin!) o-ring back on in front of the new o-ring which ended up sealing just at the block surface.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replaced my daughters ABS module due to a constant error showing that the lh sensor is bad, even after changing out the sensor and Ohming the wires from abs module connector through the abs sensor. I Even checked the recluser......
Abs abs ASR are now working good, however in the process of bleeding everything I found a frozen rear caliper and pin......that might be my next “ what I’d did to my Mk iv today”
Sigh.....kids......

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Discovered that my '99.5 Golf is missing a seal on each front door. The body shop probably removed these when painting the car and I didn't realize it.

They're so bloody expensive that I took to Kraftwerke to have Chris put them on. Didn't want to make a mistake.

Wind noise is significanlty less. I'm surprised at how quiet this car is overall.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Started changing my lift pump today. Job came to an abrupt stop when I pulled the new pump out of the undamaged box and found the bottom in multiple pieces. Now waiting for a response from seller about sending a replacement.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Discovered that my '99.5 Golf is missing a seal on each front door. The body shop probably removed these when painting the car and I didn't realize it.

They're so bloody expensive that I took to Kraftwerke to have Chris put them on. Didn't want to make a mistake.

Wind noise is significantly less. I'm surprised at how quiet this car is overall.
With these seals missing, did you have a problem with water entering the cabin? I might be missing one of these on one of my Golfs.