V10 TDI upgrades

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
Also looking for an update :)

What did the guys at turbo dynamics in the UK say?

What did your hybrids end up costing you?

addicted

TDI
2004 Touareg TDI
750 each for the hybrids. I needed some other work done for them as well though so glad I sent them in.

I was hoping to have an update but no dice. Car is still not done as the shop is busy working on other cars I guess. I should have some feedback for you by next weekend. I sure hope..I can not contain my angst anymore.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
A little history: I purchased a used 2004 V10 TDI Touareg sight unseen. Loser dealership in KY lied and sold me a complete lemon. Thru some investigative work I found that my cams and followers had worn. One all the way thru to the valve.

I started the tear down in September and after realizing you can't do it in the car I sent it off to a mechanic that had some working history with the V10 Touareg.
What oil has been used in this engine? :confused: What oil are you planning to use after the "build" is complete? :confused: My initial gut feeling when I read about the cams and followers is that it's an issue similar to other PDs that suffered premature cam lobe and follower wear. :eek:

IIRC, the V10 TDI requires 506.01 oil (an xW-30 oil). It might need an xW-40 oil like other PDs requiring a 505.01 oil (5W-40). With the PDs and 505.01 oil, many of the xW-30 oils that met VW's 505.01 spec weren't up to the job in the PDs and the xW-40 oils meeting the 505.01 spec did much better at protecting the engine. It may be the same sort of thing with the cams and followers in the V10 TDI engine.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
What oil has been used in this engine? :confused: What oil are you planning to use after the "build" is complete? :confused: My initial gut feeling when I read about the cams and followers is that it's an issue similar to other PDs that suffered premature cam lobe and follower wear. :eek:
IIRC, the V10 TDI requires 506.01 oil (an xW-30 oil). It might need an xW-40 oil like other PDs requiring a 505.01 oil (5W-40). With the PDs and 505.01 oil, many of the xW-30 oils that met VW's 505.01 spec weren't up to the job in the PDs and the xW-40 oils meeting the 505.01 spec did much better at protecting the engine. It may be the same sort of thing with the cams and followers in the V10 TDI engine.
Good luck.
From my experience, oil doesn't mean squat with the PD cams. It may slightly extend the life of the cam, but the cam is still going to wear out. I've changed cams in PD cars with everywhere from 55K-250K and helped do cams in a 04 t-reg with 290K. Most of them are even club members and have maintenance records you could wipe a white glove on. Just like 01M's, PD cams are doomed and not even snake oil is going to save them.

Here's the cams from NciScott's 04 t-reg with 290K.

On a side note, the first two kittens somehow didn't make it back on when the motor was out recently for new turbos. It sounds freaking awesome now. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like when the other two kittens and the potato in the tailpipe are removed :)

Last edited:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Sorry for the topic jack, but anyone ever thought bout converting a Phaeton into a TDi ? they are becoming pretty cheap, seen one local with high miles for 9999 already.... if it wasn't for the poor MPG I would have owned one 4 years ago.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Why converting tdi into tdi? Or did I miss something. :D

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
In the USA we got the 4.2L V8 and the 6.0 W12 motors only: gas not diesel

The 4.2 is a good motor, but thirsty and a bit underpowered for the heavy Phaeton

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Upgrade the 4.2 LOL... My brother's S4 has the 4.2 and it's 350hp stock..

Definitely not good on gas by any means... He averages 18.5-19mpg with mostly highway driving too...

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
its the weakest 350HP V8 ever.... and its not really the same motor. Passed up on a S4 for my MKIV R32 cause I was not impressed with its performance.

S4 has timing chains, with weak sauce guides that fall apart and rattle around 100K miles- even seen one S4 with 75K rattle already. Trans and engine comes out and you can then fix it.

Phaeton has the good ole timing belt set up 4.2L V8 like the Touareg and C5 A6, and pre FSI A8s. Great engine, just thirsty.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Ya I did the timing chains in my brother's S4. The PTO chain failed at 113k. 2004-2005 had that particular engine in the S4 (BHF).. Trans doesn't have to come out though.. I didn't realize they went back to the belt driven cams.. From what I remember of the belt driven ones they were 310hp..

The S4 is pretty fast but it is a heavy car, 1000lbs heavier than my Jetta.. I see people here and there mention it's gutless but then find out they shift at only 4000... The torque peak is up high, as well as the hp peak so you have to rev it like a NA V6..

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
They used the chains on the S4 due to space limitations in the front. It's still a similar engine to the belt drive one. The A8 had 310HP, A6 was 300 and S8 has 360HP from the belt drive V8.

I don't know how you managed to do any chain work on a S4 w/o pulling the tranny out.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I did the last one with engine and tranny on what I call the operating table. Then separate them two... It's a maze of chains in there.

addicted

TDI
2004 Touareg TDI
Ok Hijackers...quite your bickering :D

I'm supposed to go pick up my truck tomorrow. Got some disappointing news that while I was gone my mechanic refused to use my modified camshaft bearings from Frank. Of course without my authorization or calling me. Simply refused to do it. Germans are entirely to proud of themselves sometimes. I know they are not all that way and have a few German friends so forgive my stereotyping but I'm mad about it. He does not believe that the design is flawed. Seriously told me that "people are stupid and never change their oil and it is completely their fault every time no matter how many have failed. Really pissed me off.

Anyway I have the updated followers and hopefully the less aggressive profile combined with a better oil (no I don't know the complete oil history) I can get another 170K miles out of it. By that time I'm sure I'll be ready to update something or some other POS part on it will catastrophically fail and will need replaced anyway.

As long as it is actually done tomorrow (supposed to have been done the last 2 Fridays and wasn't) I will have some updated information and maybe some video's by Monday.

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Sweet, can't wait to hear or see your results. That's frustrating about the cam bearings, I have some aquaintances that are in denial about the flawed design of the OEM cam design on the PD motors.

addicted

TDI
2004 Touareg TDI
Imagine this....it is not done :mad:. Some excuses about waiting on some tools to time the camshafts which in his defense is entirely true. When they were sent off Frank forgot to mark the timing so we are waiting on those tools (something the mechanic knew and then never ordered in time). Then they got lost in the mail I guess :confused:. I love how he could blame other people and nag me about trying to get my camshafts and turbos done (all done extremely quick considering) and he has problems that are now (no bid deal).

Ohh well, though he can be a pain in the ass at times I believe he is a truly knowledgeable mechanic and will do it right the first time, and it is not like there is a huge pool of V10 TDI mechanics out there.

Here is to hoping I have a report next week.