Looking for a tuner in Indy area..

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
Ive recently taken on a whole bunch of mods on my TDI and i am now stuck looking for someone in the indianapolis area that can tune it.. I can trailer it farther just let me know where you are at..

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Your best bet is mailing the ECU, or using one of the flash loaders.

Rocketchip
Aligator
Kerma
VWMikeL

Those are the major tuners for our TDIs.

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
ok i appreciate it.. can i just tell them what ive done and they will know how to tune it.. I mainly want to focus on getting there to be no lights on on the dash if possible..

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Yes, all of those listed are experienced tuners.

Which lights are you worried about?

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
MIL, this car is mostly driven to work by my wife, i just dont want to have to stare at that darn light on on the dash all the time.. We use this car to drive 500 miles every other weekend and for all of our vacations too and i want to know immediately if something goes wrong.. By theway,Alligator,is he on this site or is that a company, i PM'd vwmikel, and havent heard back but i am so far a fan of the Kerma tuner, I am thinking of converting to a manual transmission later in this cars life and i think that they could allow me to flash the ECM again and tell it that its a manual trans car..

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
You really should find out what is causing your MIL before it gets tuned.

Aligator sells through several vendors here in North America, as he is in Europe.

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
I am merely assuming that there will be several faults with the intake manifold changeover and the EGR delete. the EGR valve and anti shudder valve on the PD or BEW engine im working on are all electronic.. and since i plan on using the PD150 intake and a race pipe they will not be there anymore. as well as the fact that i will no longer have the butterfly valve that shuts off the small section of the intake runner, (vacuum controlled)

If i am wrong in assuming this or can somehow get around this in a manner i am not aware of please let me know..

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Oh, didn't know the EGR was gone. Yes, that'll throw a CEL.

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
I thought it would.. I just dont know what to do.. I am supposed to go on Vacation in this car on July 20th and i dont want to have to do this all again.. Id like to find a manifold and get this all done..

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
ig109 said:
I thought it would.. I just dont know what to do.. I am supposed to go on Vacation in this car on July 20th and i dont want to have to do this all again.. Id like to find a manifold and get this all done..
You do know modding a BEW motor is not as easy as the ALH, right? Sounds like you've already done some stuff to it and now are dealing with CEL's. While I did the EGR delete on my ALH I also did not get a CEL because I already had RC tuning.

As I posted in the Indiana People thread a few minutes ago you may want to attend Marty's GTG on July 25th for RC tuning but I guess that conflicts with your vacation. Guess you have to ship your ECU in to one of the tuners (leaving you with a undriveable Jetta unless you have a spare ECU to swap in?) now to take care of this. Good luck whatever you do here!

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
I am actually in the process of doing the mods now.. I have a spare vehicle for me to drive and just let the wife drive the truck.. so it will not hurt for me to be without the Jetta for a while, just have to get it all back together so i can see what i need to do.. any idea if i could take care of any of this with the Vag com system? I understand that you can do some kind of off road no egr change with the vag com is that correct or am i just reading all of this wrong..

Thanks

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
ig109 said:
I am actually in the process of doing the mods now.. I have a spare vehicle for me to drive and just let the wife drive the truck.. so it will not hurt for me to be without the Jetta for a while, just have to get it all back together so i can see what i need to do.. any idea if i could take care of any of this with the Vag com system? I understand that you can do some kind of off road no egr change with the vag com is that correct or am i just reading all of this wrong..

Thanks
You can turn the EGR down with Vag-com (still will get CEL in most cases if EGR is removed) but that isn't the same as EGR delete via a tune. And for the mods you are going to do a tune is necessary to make full use of them - until then it's more of an eye candy situation.

If knowing the CEL is on doesn't bother you hold off on the tune, do your mods, stick some black electrical tape over the illuminated CEL light, go on vacation and after that when a GTG is close enough with a tuner in attendance get it tuned then. This assumes the car will be running well enough with mods done and stock ECU in control.

I can tell you Marty's GTG in MI is the only confirmed midwest GTG at this time with RC there. Old Navy's GTG in October will also have RC there but that's in SE Missouri. Depending on (if?) when dieselgranddad tries to reschedule his cancelled GTG in WI that may also be an option. Fall should see RC back in Marysville, OH if past years is any indication. I seriously doubt you will be fortunate enough to have a GTG held in the Indy area that RC will attend as the guys down there are lucky just to have 1 or 2 wrenching (non-tuning) GTG's each year.

You should get a spare ECU, ship it off for the tune and swap 'em after you get it back if you don't want to wait for (or drive to) a GTG with a tuner there. That is probably your best option at this point depending upon how fast you will apply all these mods to your Jetta.

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
Thanks for the inpt CoolWht

I think i am going to finish all the mods and see how it runs, if it runs terrible then i may go ahead and do the tune now with VWmikeL and just send him the ecm. Im already elbow deep in themods so i kind of need to get the ball rolling.. Thanks