Just a little math

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Do you all remember the groaning and complaining a year ago, just a quick recap now that i held off getting the fix done until the end so that i would have a nice long warranty extension plus money in the bank.

I drive a lot for a living just wrote a few of these things down to show how crazy of a good deal the VW passat has been...
Bought 2013 Passat SE in July 2014 (30k miles) for $18,500.
Sales tax -$1110
Maintenance - Oil Change - $450
Tires - Free (got nice ones given from a turn in and used Visa card for another 2)
Timing belt & DSG (2x) - $1430
NOX sensor - $370
Brakes - $300
Fuel - 3455 gal - $9259
TOTAL - $31419

deductions
VW payment - $-5369
VISA gift - $-500
Bosch - $-350

TOTAL $25200 / 111,000 miles = 22.9 cents per mile
Given where my reimbursement rate is at and i am now set to have a trouble free car (another long warranty period and then delete afterwards) for the foreseeable future so my cost per mile should only continue to decline....

Everyone really enjoyed bashing VW but at least in my case they have above and beyond to make things right. I know not everyone's situation is like mine but for everyone rushing to jump the gun and taking the quick money, I like to think those who drive a lot should have taken a minute and crunched the numbers to see how well you could have ended up. Also helps to be near a great guru and have a great TDI community for all these years!

Have a great weekend!

Last edited:

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Great numbers, dont make me rethink this again.

Only at 60k on our 13, I’ve also extracted $9k using it on Uber the last 1.5 yrs part time at a little over $1 mile net.

If I get it up to your mileage that’s a big $ profit ;) .... only thing is if i modify I am choosing to pay $18k roughly to keep. Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
And if you keep you won't get those Uber miles for as cheap, so you have to factor in paying yourself back for some of those.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There were a lot of those who cared nothing of the numbers or anything else about the car. It was only "VW lied!" and "I feel cheated!" and "How much money can I get?" that drove their decisions. Comparatively speaking it was only a small number who saw the advantage here in a great low cost per mile car to drive, that was actually one of the cleanest cars around, save one category that it was slightly over in.

I kind of would like to be a fly on the wall to see what some of those that turned their cars in are doing now, transportation wise.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
And if you keep you won't get those Uber miles for as cheap, so you have to factor in paying yourself back for some of those.

This is a good point and I think in the end will sell it back. The wife got her new Audi TDI vehicle, my other Uber vehicle is over 100k miles and the cost per mile depreciation wise may be even cheaper on that car despite the gas mileage costing more.
Rolling the VW until Oct/ Nov though.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
If you are planning for a late turn in you might want to get it scheduled up for that time period soon. There are going to be a lot of people waiting until the last minute and few dealers still don't turn ins.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Yep just a note , submitted all docs last week took 3 -4 days to approve. Now just need to notarize and submit . I put the date down for November.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Sad thing is that virtually all of us on this forum realize how great these vehicle were, are, and will continue to be for many more years, and that they will never reach our shores again.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>

I kind of would like to be a fly on the wall to see what some of those that turned their cars in are doing now, transportation wise.
In the thread where this is discussed, I have been amused (and often bemused) by some of the choices. We decided not to wait until the end of the year, for a variety of reasons, and are now at the end of the new car selection process.
Our progress so far in choosing a replacement for our '13 Passat:

1. Volvo s90: Very nice car, and for $55K, it ought to be.
2. Buick Regal: Better than I expected, still not good enough.
3. Passat 2.0:Impressive, both from the updates standpoint and incentive.
4. Honda Accord 2.0 Touring: Current frontrunner, also 20% more money than the Passat and 20% less mpg.