Pumpe Duese or PD 101 (Simplified Version)

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Simplified Version of Pumpe Duese 101

To simplify things for our valuable newer members of Fred's good Forum, the Pumpe Duese (PD) Injection System is just another way to increase injection pressure to the TDI's fuel injectors in order to vaporize and atomize the diesel fuel spray more effectively. (Note - Current TDI Injection Pumps already produce about 16,000 PSI with the 10mm injection pumps plungers for manual transmissions and up to 19,000 PSI on injection pumps with 11mm plungers in auto transmissions.) The PD Systems are so powerful that they almost double the PSI to a whopping 29,050 PSI +/- of fuel pressure.

Pumpe Duese engines are basically upgraded with 4 unit injectors, with each cylinder having its own high-pressure type pump housing 10mm or 11mm plungers. These unit injection nozzles, which are built into a single unit, also eliminate the need for the 4 fuel lines running from the injection pumps of current North American bound TDI's.

In short, Pumpe Duese is simply the name of the fuel injection system within VW's family of TDI engines.

Moreover, this upgrade in injection technology is also supposed to result in a much better burn efficiency with lower emissions to boot.

Keep in mind that while the PD is still a TDI engine, it only has a different more-powerful injection system than what we currently have. VW claims that this type of fuel system is smoother running, except on very hard acceleration or at lower RPM's when the engine is over-stressed or lugged (only then is the PD louder than our current TDI). Other than that, the engine is generally supposed to be noticeably quieter than the currently TDI's available in North America.

One reason why it might be "noticeably quieter" is because the PD system has a better combustion process and needs less compression to get the job done in an efficient manner.

Lower compression with increased injection pressure, means less noise and improved acceleration via more torque.

One drawback to the Pumpe Duese Injection System is the proverbial retarding of the injection timing, which VW uses to further lower NOx emissions - again following the advertising ploy (California & New York) or pattern they're currently using in North America.

See also these excellent articles on: "The Clean Future of the Diesel Engine", Tuneline , The TDI Club's Forum FAQ , and "VW Adds Two New TDI Offerings To the European Lineup".

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited February 21, 2001).]

JRTTDI

Veteran Member
And here´s the naked 115hp PD(now 150
). (I want that battery cover
!)

------------------
Golf 2000 <font color="#8F8F8F">T</font><font color="#930000">DI</font> Pumpe Düse 6-speed, BBS RC 7.5X16, Bridgestone S02 PP 205/55ZR16, UPsolutely stock, Remus muffler

[This message has been edited by JRTTDI (edited November 26, 2000).]

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
James:

I always believe in looking out for my fellowmen: How about trading that engine and tranny of yours for my battery cover?

I'll even throw-in free shipping on the deal.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Here's some (current - ?) info from the Forum FAQ (under "General FAQ, Types of TDI Engines"): http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-2.html

"1.9 litre 4-cylinder 115hp 'PD' - again similar to the A4-type engine but with the "pump-nozzle" injection system. Although the peak power is only slightly more than the 110, maximum torque is much higher and the engine has lower exhaust emissions. VW intends to gradually replace the 110hp models with this engine. Not available in North America, reportedly because the exhaust emission controls used on this engine cannot be used with fuels containing greater than 50 parts per million of sulfur, whereas at this writing (1999) fuels in North America can have as much as 500 parts per million.

"Models with this engine have badges with a silver 'T' and red 'DI'.

"The injection system is the 'pump-nozzle' type, and the turbocharger is a variable-vane type. The lack of the injection pump mounted on the front of the engine is the obvious visual difference.

"1.9 litre 4-cylinder 150hp 'PD' - Few details are available at this writing. Models with this engine apparently will have badges with 'TDI' in all red."

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Speaking of PD, where's that Passat, with a 3.3L TDI Pumpe Duese V-8, 4-Motion, and 6-speed transmission?

S

SkyPup

Nice work, keep your fingers crossed that the EPA crams the low sulphur diesel fuel regulations down the refiners throats so the next automobile I purchase is a 150HP P-D.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Steve double check but on the current injection system injectors begin to open around 200-300 bar and pressures can reach as high 1200 bar (16,000 psi manual TDI and 19,000 for the automatic TDI) during the injection process. The PD motor (Pump-Duse) will have injection pressure of 2000 bar or 29,050 PSI - correct?

Nice pictures of my new car, by the way I thought I made it clear NOT to let anyone know I managed to sneak a 130HP TDI into the States!!!

DB

[This message has been edited by Drivbiwire (edited November 26, 2000).]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Riiiiiight. Good one.

29,000 psi is quite a bit.
I'm impressed.

So, where do I sign for the 150 hp TDI-PD?

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9 TDI 5-speed

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Be aware that in both common-rail and Pumpe-Düse systems, the injection pressure is not constant throughout the respective engines' operating range.

I knew this of the PD design but I always assumed that common-rail had the distinct advantage of being able to maintain constant pressure regardless of engine speed. NOT SO! I was reading an EXCELLENT book, albeit struggling with it because it was in German, that goes into a lot of detail in the development of Diesel direct injection technology for passenger cars. The book has two injection pressure maps, one for a Mercedes C220 CDI common-rail and another for the 115hp VW-Audi PD engine.

After reading about it I'm far less impressed with common-rail technology, but my opinion of the PD has not really changed. PD technology will continue to improve with the next generation of much more compact injectors that will fit in a 4-valve/cylinder configuration; piezo-electronic spill valves; a pressure reservoir in each injector that will significantly increase the minimum injection pressure; and improved injection rate-shaping algorithms as our understanding of Diesel combustion processes continues to develop.

Common rail will also move ahead but not in such leaps and bounds, IMO. The system is so simple (a positive attribute) that I can't see much room for fundamental changes beyond the following: Common goals and areas of development to both technologies will center around piezo-electronic actuation, ever higher injection pressures, better injection rate-shaping algorithms, investigation of injector nozzle and hence spray geometries, etc. Minimizing parasitic frictional and pump losses will likely be another important development area.

blue909

Veteran Member
Thanks for the excellent information. I don't expect that US diesel will go low-sulphur anytime soon, so I don't expect that TDI-PD engines will be available in the states anytime soon, but I do enjoy reading more about these great powerplants.

blue909 (deposit down on '01 blue/black Golf GLS TDI... can't wait!)

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Great info(& the picture also), Steve/JRTTDI!! Thanx!!

Actually, I'm planning to get myself a Golf GLS TDI sometime around Auguest, 2001. Do you think we will see any of these PD-TDI available in Canada(North America)by that time?? Also should I place my order in by April/May?? Since I heard it might takes up to 4 months to get what one wants quite a number of times within the forum.

BTW, is it possible to save these valuable info thread(s) into a knowledge base or under the FAQ? Since I hate to see it gets lose amount all other topics generated each day.

-Kelvin

------------------
Dreaming of a Golf GLS TDI...50mpg=4.705L/100Km ^_^