Should I Tune with a weeping EGR ??

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
Hello, I'm getting so close to moving forward on a tune. Someone suggested to make sure the engine is running good. Well I've been going through my engine and all is good except my EGR weeping oil :(. I took someone's advise and wrap a cloth over the hole which collects the weeping/leaking oil and at every oil change I change the cloth. So should I get a new EGR before the Tune??:rolleyes: Will it make a difference?? :confused:
Thank you
:D:)

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
Yes, it has well over 20k miles. So replace it because,,,,, the engine will run better?? or so I know there are no weak links in the operation of the engine??

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
if you are OK with changing the rags out, there is no reason to replace the valve otherwise. IF the diaphram holds vacuum and can open the actual valve, the seeping is basically oil blowby seeping past the shaft seal on your egr valve.

weeping egr valve is minor compared to other issues that may pop up, and I wouldn't spend the money on a new one unless its a major annoyance to you to have to change the rag out.

my 0.02

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
That's just the way "I" am. I am not a "wrap a rag around it" kind of guy. This would drive me nuts. YMMV. ;)
Some things bug me, others not.
I've had a "diaper" on my '01's EGR for years. Doesn't bug me at all. Everything stays clean. It's been fine, but lately its been throwing an EGR code, so I suspect the diaphram has finally went bad as it did in the higher miled '03.
The crazy annoying rattle/buzz in the dash by the glovebox that started ever since its warmed up is about to drive me nuts, however.

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
You bring up some important points jettawreck!! My tdi has only 240,000 miles with the original EGR. I don't have a reader so I don't know if it's throwing a code but you say that there is a rattle/buzz in the area of the glove box which you are indicating, is or could be a bad EGR !!!!???? Well I have been hearing a rattle in the dash and it's driving me crazy. I keep opening the glove-box and re-arranging my belongings in there because I swear it's something rattling in there. Well could this be my EGR. It is NOT the glove-box or what's in it, this I know. Thank you

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
You bring up some important points jettawreck!! My tdi has only 240,000 miles with the original EGR. I don't have a reader so I don't know if it's throwing a code but you say that there is a rattle/buzz in the area of the glove box which you are indicating, is or could be a bad EGR !!!!???? Well I have been hearing a rattle in the dash and it's driving me crazy. I keep opening the glove-box and re-arranging my belongings in there because I swear it's something rattling in there. Well could this be my EGR. It is NOT the glove-box or what's in it, this I know. Thank you

No, no, no!
The buzz/rattle in the dash/glovebox area drives me nuts, but is totally unrelated to the EGR being leaky, which doesn't bother me.
The vibration/buzz in my car is the panel between the radio and heat contols and the glove box.
Relax a bit.

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
Thank you jettawreck, no I'm not running out and spend money if I don't have to. I ask first to confirm information. I misread your post. Sorry.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I have a new looking EGR form a partout, jsut after I bought a new one for my Golf.

Name and part# were scraped off. Casting just says Germany. PM if you're interested. Tonight(sunday) is when I usually post most stuff on Ebay. And I'll be gettin gto that shortly.

FYI I'm on the second replacement on my 01 Golf with 240k due to the weeping. I can't stand it either. My car still uses no oil if the EGR isn't weeping.