The dealers use this site too!

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I stopped by the dealer to have them fill up my tires with nitrogen and while I was waiting, somebody called the service guy with a problem with the convertible top hydraulic pump on a VW. He had some doubts about the question and entered this site, did a search and found a picture of one, which resolved his doubts. I suppose that it makes sense, because it is a lot easier to search this site than go find a manual and look it up...Mark

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
They should probably use it more often. Then their reviews wouldn't perhaps be so poor.
I have seen many of the threads about dealership maladies, but I have to say that, so far, I am happy with Camelback VW in Phoenix. I am cautiously optimistic that they are one of the good ones. It may be that, because there are 7 VW dealers within a 30 mile radius of my house, that the competition is affecting the quality of service. I don't know if it is common, but they filled my tires and washed the car on an unannounced visit. We'll see...Mark

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Well, they do a good job of being nice and polite while they're screwing up your car.

While I can understand your feelings on this, I cannot believe that ALL dealers are bad. Being ole optimistic me, I hope I found a good one. They are only going to do warranty work on the car anyway, anything else I'll do myself...Mark

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
While I can understand your feelings on this, I cannot believe that ALL dealers are bad. Being ole optimistic me, I hope I found a good one. They are only going to do warranty work on the car anyway, anything else I'll do myself...Mark
And my sister will handle the warranty paperwork for them
:) (Hi RAG)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You can have a good dealer experience, but what happens when there is a problem they can't figure out? Do they start diagnosing the problem, or just start throwing parts at the problem?

Nitrogen in the tires is really a non benefit. Air is already 78% nitrogen, so the only real benefit is that the nitrogen will be free of moisture which unless you are parking your car for years at a time, pure nitrogen will not extend the life of your tires.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Two things I missed out at in life that could have made me a millionaire sooner:

1. selling tap water in disposable plastic bottles, and,

2. selling tire fills with nitrogen.

Instead, I had to work as an engineer....(I missed the boat).

Good luck with your good dealer.;)

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
You can have a good dealer experience, but what happens when there is a problem they can't figure out? Do they start diagnosing the problem, or just start throwing parts at the problem?

Nitrogen in the tires is really a non benefit. Air is already 78% nitrogen, so the only real benefit is that the nitrogen will be free of moisture which unless you are parking your car for years at a time, pure nitrogen will not extend the life of your tires.
My plan is to know more about this car than they do. Then when this situation arises, I can be a contributor to the decision as to what the problem is and what the solution should be. I bought a VCDS so that I can put it on the car BEFORE the dealer gets it, so as to set a baseline. It will also be the tattle tale if they decide to fib a bit.

As far as what may happen in the future with the dealer, well that is out of my control, so I'll not worry about it. All I can do is control what I can control. I have learned to plan for the worst, but expect the best. Life is better that way. As far as the nitrogen goes, I had already decided to put compressed air that has been dried, but I had an appointment today very near the dealership, so I pulled in, took all of 10 minutes. Since I retired, I have plenty of free time...Mark

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Two things I missed out at in life that could have made me a millionaire sooner:
1. selling tap water in disposable plastic bottles, and,
2. selling tire fills with nitrogen.
Instead, I had to work as an engineer....(I missed the boat).
Good luck with your good dealer.;)

They're not ever going to get a penny out of me for nitrogen, so your riches there would be from others and I don't buy bottled water, too much plastic waste, so I drink filtered tap water. As an engineer, how was the social life? It was pretty good as a firefighter :D...Mark

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I got free nitrogen as a part of my tire sale so why not use it? I worked as a manufacturing process engineer and I met many so called engineers, that title means nothing to me.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I got free nitrogen as a part of my tire sale so why not use it? I worked as a manufacturing process engineer and I met many so called engineers, that title means nothing to me.
I was an engineer, I really liked driving the trucks. I especially liked tillering the ladder truck, no go peddle, no brakes, just a steering wheel. It was fun, but the ladies and the kids really loved the tillerman, it was a lot of fun. Agreed on the Nitrogen, I only live 4 miles or so from the dealer...Mark

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Having an understanding of how your car actually functions is always a plus. There are so many folks that try to rationalize what they don't understand about their car instead of actually educating themselves about how their car actually functions.

Seriously, education and understanding go a long ways in the diagnosis process.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Except for the fact that it is a complete waste of money and effort for an automotive tire.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Having an understanding of how your car actually functions is always a plus. There are so many folks that try to rationalize what they don't understand about their car instead of actually educating themselves about how their car actually functions.

Seriously, education and understanding go a long ways in the diagnosis process.
That is true, that is why I am here. I know that the cr cars are a different animal, but I am thinking about buying an older junker to get my hands dirty with. I have read many threads about the different cars and feel like I am getting a feel for them. A good basic understanding of mechanics helps. When I was in High school, I went to a special vocational program for 2 years, 1 for basics and 1 for advanced engine rebuilding. I could have taken diesel mechanics, aircraft mechanics, auto body and many other choices. I learned 2 things, how to do mechanics correctly and that I did not want to be a mechanic for a living. When I work on my own car and the owner is being a jerk, I can kick him in the butt ;)...Mark

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
They're not ever going to get a penny out of me for nitrogen, so your riches there would be from others and I don't buy bottled water, too much plastic waste, so I drink filtered tap water. As an engineer, how was the social life? It was pretty good as a firefighter :D...Mark
Haha...my social life was pretty good as I am on wife #3. I was only an engineer during working hours. :D

Nitrogen is a fool's purchase, although we have a shop selling it for $15/tire fill nearby. (he does have to pay for the cylinders, though). When I stopped by (I know the guy for the last 20 years), I said he should put air in the nitrogen bottle and just bleed off the oxygen so he doesn't have to pay for new cylinders. He actually gave that some thought!:eek:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Haha...my social life was pretty good as I am on wife #3. I was only an engineer during working hours. :D
Nitrogen is a fool's purchase, although we have a shop selling it for $15/tire fill nearby. (he does have to pay for the cylinders, though). When I stopped by (I know the guy for the last 20 years), I said he should put air in the nitrogen bottle and just bleed off the oxygen so he doesn't have to pay for new cylinders. He actually gave that some thought!:eek:
3 Wow!! I only let that dog bite me once. ;). I will not hesitate to put compressed air in them, but, if it is convenient to go to the dealer to get nitrogen, I'll do that. I have gotten by with plain air for all these years. Now, if they start using nitrous oxide, I'll do that because I could really calm myself down in traffic :eek: ...Mark

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It doesn't cost me anything and the dealer is as close to me as the air pump that I have to put a quarter in is. What are trying to tell me?:confused:
Sorry, but in my ecitement to be right, I missed the free and no hassle part. My bad..............

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Use helium in the tires, it makes the car lighter for better fuel mileage. :p

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
I like the "dried air" idea. I thought all air was dry in Phoenix.
That is the biggest myth about Phoenix. Although the humidity numbers won't be as high as, say Atlanta or Houston, when it is combined with extreme temps it is flat miserable. It is dry all year from about mid September to about mid June, it is terrible between mid June and mid September. It is not too unusual to see 108 degrees, 45% humidity and the kicker, dew point of 65 degrees. What that means is that your sweat does not evaporate and cool you off. Here the dew point is more relative to comfort than the relative humidity. Another factor, maybe more important is the low temperature. This past summer was pretty mild because of all the rain, but the previous year, we had a stretch of like 10 or 12 days where the temps never got below 90 degrees. Nothing has a chance to cool off and the heat accumulates. I personally like the heat and climb a local mountain in the afternoon all summer long, it makes the rest of the day not seem so bad. I am 59 years old and I routinely pass people half my age on the mountain. We also had a couple of young healthy people from out of town die on the mountains this year. They look at the 1.2 mile trail (1.2 up and 1.2 down) and think "I can do that". Tragic really.

But, as you can see we have around 9 months of great weather and 3 months to die for, oops I mean to die in. :D Heat related deaths are the most common cause of weather related deaths. As a car guy, what is important to me is that things don't rust here..Mark

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Sorry, but in my ecitement to be right, I missed the free and no hassle part. My bad..............
No hard feelings. I just thought I was missing something. I just pull the car in and ask them to maintain 38 psi:) I don't care if it is air or nitrogen it all holds the car up.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
45% humidity is low. Visit Houston, Washington DC, or Atlanta in summer. I think you reach a temperature where your body can't cope with the heat regardless of the humidity level. Most places in the US have 3 months of weather you'd just as soon not experience. Except San Diego, of course.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
45% humidity is low. Visit Houston, Washington DC, or Atlanta in summer. I think you reach a temperature where your body can't cope with the heat regardless of the humidity level. Most places in the US have 3 months of weather you'd just as soon not experience. Except San Diego, of course.
That is true, but I would invite you out here next August for a week and I guaranty that you will be wishing that you were in Houston. When you are in Houston, you will not see 100 degrees at 3 AM, for 2 weeks straight, that is the difference...Mark