Follow my 2003 ALH Project!

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
tothemax said:
Your car is gonna rock with all that mojo ........ Can't wait to see the dyno! As soon as my head gets here, I will be following in your footsteps. When are you gonna dyno her?
7 days from now.... Sat. Dec. 5th @ New England Dyno Day 8.

I really don't know what to expect.... It is a conservative dynometer so getting in the170's for the HP won't surprise me. Hoping the EGT's stay manageable enough to dyno it. All I do know is that it will be one fun ride home!

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
170 HP - You must be kidding!!!

I'd say your setup will be close to 200. Just try to add water/meth before the dyno. Will keep you EGT's down and add a few HP's.

Here's (MAXRPM) Robert's Dyno. Same setup as yours. No ported head but he had water meth.

You should be very pleased with your numbers.

RC6 frikin rocks. Can't wait to get my head. I will do a rebuild similar to yours. Following your thread closely...

Take a look the colt cams http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258738&highlight=colt+cams

it may squeeze out a few more HP on top of what you already have.

Did Bill port your head?

Good luck !

Joe TDI said:

I really don't know what to expect.... It is a conservative dynometer so getting in the170's for the HP won't surprise me. Hoping the EGT's stay manageable enough to dyno it. All I do know is that it will be one fun ride home!

Last edited:

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Joe TDI said:

That kind of fun can turn not fun in a hurry if those blue cars with the funny red flashing things on the top of their cars are around. The last time I drove MA highways smoky was everywhere.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Joe TDI makes 205 whp

tothemax said:
170 HP - You must be kidding!!!

I'd say your setup will be close to 200.
Yes you were right good sir..... 205hp to the wheels....

Sorry the pic is blurry... I took it with my phone.... the one I scanned wouldn't upload!!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I was impressed by Joe's especially with the badly slipping clutch.. the sound that thing makes in incredible..

It will be nice to see how the power lays down with a good clutch and the engine fully broken in.. it had like 15 miles on it at the time of the dyno..

87turboquattro

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat
IndigoBlueWagon said:
And mine? Wherever it is?
your just a set of retainers away.

and for those that like to do calculations and compare.a 440ci in a dodge coronet(car weighs w/ driver 4450) that runs 12.1@114 dyno'd at dentsport and got 326hp.:eek: no way the drive train loses that much but thats what it read.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
87turboquattro said:
your just a set of retainers away.

and for those that like to do calculations and compare.a 440ci in a dodge coronet(car weighs w/ driver 4450) that runs 12.1@114 dyno'd at dentsport and got 326hp.:eek: no way the drive train loses that much but thats what it read.
Yeah and remember my Camaro last year??? It runs 11.89@120, weighs 3700 with me in it, and only did 313hp on their dyno..

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Joe, got a couple questions about your dyno. Mainly is the actuator set long on your setup? The torque doesn't peak out until 2800-ish and the HP doesn't flatten out until 3500-ish. If you compare that to Jeff or Peter's RC6 dyno's they peak and plateau much earlier...

Like Delvi's dyno, yours comes on a little later than other upper RC'd 17/22 cars. I'm certain on Delvi's it was an actuator adjustment but on yours it is either that or the wild cam and head combo that just changes the power characteristics?!? Am I way off base here?

I'm sure though that your tires hate you now... That car must be mean. The most wild TDI I've ever ridden in was MAXRPM's Golf and he hit 211 or 213 on a regular dyno. I know how conservative Dentsports setup is. Your car must just throw you in the seat something fierce after you hook up.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
I wonder if the high RPMs for the torque peak is clutch slip related.
Absolutely... Also remember the rpm reading on that dyno is invalid if the clutch slips because it's only an estimate based on roller speed.. That graph would have a BIG loop-de-loop in it if we had an RPM pickup... I was in the car on the dyno and as soon as it passed 1800rpm it immediately shot to 3700 and stayed there until the speedo was well over 100mph...

I drove it the other day too and the clutch slip is terrible.. any sort of throttle application between 2000 and 4000 results in immediate clutch slip...

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
TDIJetta99 said:
Absolutely... Also remember the rpm reading on that dyno is invalid if the clutch slips because it's only an estimate based on roller speed.. That graph would have a BIG loop-de-loop in it if we had an RPM pickup... I was in the car on the dyno and as soon as it passed 1800rpm it immediately shot to 3700 and stayed there until the speedo was well over 100mph...

I drove it the other day too and the clutch slip is terrible.. any sort of throttle application between 2000 and 4000 results in immediate clutch slip...
Yea, we need to stop oiling those clutch pads :cool:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
TDIJetta99 said:

If that's the case, then that dyno is trash. Maybe he can put down a bunch more ;)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
205!!! Very Nice! I love how flat it is from about 3800 to about 5K. That will kick some a$$ !!! Congrads !!

Joe TDI said:
Yes you were right good sir..... 205hp to the wheels....

Sorry the pic is blurry... I took it with my phone.... the one I scanned wouldn't upload!!

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hooyah!

87turboquattro said:
robert,your head will get a similar port job.may go a yad bigger on the exhaust.
and pierre,yours is similar to jason(tdi99jetta)

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
The cool thing is that Joe is burning off the oil/breaking in his clutch as we speak, so he is getting faster and faster. He said, he smoked a tuned Mustang GT on the highway later. Once he is movin, he is oing to be smokin alot of surprised faces. :D :D - way to go Joe!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tothemax said:
205!!! Very Nice! I love how flat it is from about 3800 to about 5K. That will kick some a$$ !!! Congrads !!
again.. the rpm reading is invalid due to the slipping clutch... the engine snapped from 1900-3700ish almost immediately after boost came up... ..

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Farfromovin said:
If that's the case, then that dyno is trash. Maybe he can put down a bunch more ;)
ya on a mustang dyno.. they seem to read very optimistic.. It makes no difference what the dyno reads, what maters is the difference from last run to this run.. he made around 130hp on that dyno last year..

Personally I would rather have it give me conservative numbers and the car actually be faster than the numbers make you think it is.. I can pretty quickly walk away from one that put down 210 on a local dyno..

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It's been a while but my ALH is finally back on the road and FINISHED.... for now.

Built 5spd with cryo-treated gears/shaft and Pelonquin LSD built by Scott Dewitt, DC stage 4 clutch from Aaron, and a Colt Stage 2 cam are now all installed along with a new head gasket/ARP studs.

Before it got all put back together, it sat in a field for almost 3 months. While sitting there, things started to rust. When we got it all together, it wouldn't start. Battery and alternator failed. The alternator got some corrosion on the inside and it was toast.

New alternator and battery (battery was original so I guess it was only a matter of time). The thing runs beautiful now. It is very fast.... took a few days to get used to the LSD, but I love it now.

JUst my luck, the day I got it back, I hit a HUGE pothole at 5am in the fog.... Bent the hell out of the strut, bent the lip of the rim slightly, and threw off the alignment real bad. The next time I drove it, I blew a tire (on a different rim) on the way to work... Got it plugged and it bubbled bad when filled so I had to order a new tire.

New strut, new tire, and an alignment, and she's good as new. Just the unexpected $$ I had to spend pissed me off but what can you do... it is what it is.

So yesterday I secretly dynoed it! I am still waiting for the dyno sheets to be emailed to me so I can post it. I am pleased with the dyno. Everything stayed together through 4 pulls.

I did feel a difference in power with the cam... Also, it smokes less and EGT's are actually a bit lower. It never saw over 1500 degrees on the dyno, and that was 6000rpm in 4th gear.

Last edited:

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
I feel you on the rust Joe, my car sat in my drive way for almost three months and 2 small rust bubbles turned into massive spots. I think the car was sad cause it wasn't being used haha. They really do have their own personalities haha.