No start!

TDI
2003 jett (ALH) 2006 jetta (BRM)
Replaced engine head and reset timing, but am wondering if the ecm needs resetting as well?
Cranking but not starting.
My son and his friend had the timing off and it cranked then and didn’t start either until we discovered the belt slipped about 4 teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
I am assuming that the slipped teeth was the reason you replaced the head and hasn't happened since. Check all the electrical connectors. I had a similar issue after replacing an engine and all it turned out to be was that the RPM/crank sensor connection wasn't quite plugged in just behind the oil filter on my ALH. Plugged it in and it fired right up. Also, if it is the ALH in your profile, check that the wire going to your injection pump is functional as without it the engine will crank but no fuel.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you cranked it with the belt four teeth off, you’ll need another head or at least valves and lifters. In other words a new head..again.

If you’ve just cranked it and it’s in time you need to bleed the air from the fuel system.

Is this the 03 or 06? Or something else? Maybe a Ford powerstroke? You haven’t identified what you’re working on.

TDI
I am assuming that the slipped teeth was the reason you replaced the head and hasn't happened since. Check all the electrical connectors. I had a similar issue after replacing an engine and all it turned out to be was that the RPM/crank sensor connection wasn't quite plugged in just behind the oil filter on my ALH. Plugged it in and it fired right up. Also, if it is the ALH in your profile, check that the wire going to your injection pump is functional as without it the engine will crank but no fuel.

Finally got it going today!
The timing was a bugger to set and it turned out that 1 of the 3 was the injection pump timing was off as I was using the recessed portion next to the perfectly round hole that was the tdc setting! All day using the wrong tdc, until I noticed the round hole and remembered a post saying that a round drill bit 15/64” fit perfectly.
Camshaft lobes at the 10/2 am/pm position facing up and the tdc on the flywheel were the other 2 settings.
Feels good hearing it run again, starting to wonder if it would ever run again.

TDI
Finally got it going today!
The timing was a bugger to set and it turned out that 1 of the 3 was the injection pump timing was off as I was using the recessed portion next to the perfectly round hole that was the tdc setting! All day using the wrong tdc, until I noticed the round hole and remembered a post saying that a round drill bit 15/64” fit perfectly.
Camshaft lobes at the 10/2 am/pm position facing up and the tdc on the flywheel were the other 2 settings.
Feels good hearing it run again, starting to wonder if it would ever run again.

It’s running good except that it’s dieseling or revving up uncontrollably until I gear it or shut it off!
Not sure why it’s dieseling!

TDI
If you cranked it with the belt four teeth off, you’ll need another head or at least valves and lifters. In other words a new head..again.

If you’ve just cranked it and it’s in time you need to bleed the air from the fuel system.

Is this the 03 or 06? Or something else? Maybe a Ford powerstroke? You haven’t identified what you’re working on.

It’s an 03 jetta tdi generation 4 (mk4).
Got it running today but it’s dieseling now or revving up out of control!
Ever have that happen? Not sure what’s causing it!?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
First thing I'd check was IQ, it's the easiest, what does vcds say your IQ is at?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I don’t have vcds:(
What’s iq? Intelligence quotient lol

Injection quotient, it's how much fuel you're giving the engine.

903 RPM is what it should be.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk