TDI swap T14 and cluster questions Help Please!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Okay I am looking at the cluster wiring and the pinout from VDUBSPEED trying to decipher what I actually have to do to get this TDI Cluster in a 1.8T chassis.

my thread is here and I have the photos in the third post
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5432146#post5432146

Below is the pinout I mentioned and as shown in the third post in the link above I believe that the numbering in the cluster connection is sequential 1-16 and 17-32 both sides beginning from the same spot.

TDI
1: gn/sw big --- to T32/10gn/sw at cluster
2: sw/gn --- pwr frm fuse 7 - 10A powers vss at trans
3: gn --- to T32/28 gn at cluster - speed signal from ECU
4: li --- to T32/18 li at cluster - coolant temp
5: ro/li --- pwr from fuse 32 - 30A
6: ge/sw --- pwr from fuse 34 - 10A
9: br/ws --- ground for sensors - splice with cluster grounds
10: gn/sw (small)- to load reduction relay - from ECU T121/88

It would be awesome if someone had a pinout of the 2002 1.8T cluster, and plausibly the T14 connector I could use to decipher the differences between the connections on them and what I have to do to get to the goal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Thank you Marc,
I appreciate your help, it was good to speak with you about the success you had and I am ready to make the connection to the car.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The next step to diagnose what isn't getting power that should!

after I replaced the fuse it powered up and the next thing I found is that fuse 43 wasn't getting power when it was supposed to so I had to power it off of relay 109.
Made that happen I hear the lift pump run and the 109 is supplying power, however, I am still getting the terminal 30 (Relay109) implausible fault.
Clear it, try to crank and nothing.
looking for what I missed in the swap and now I need to investigate what all is powered by fuse 43 and ensure it's in fact getting the juice it needs.

On the bright side I have been able to start it with a jumper wire to the battery, it smoked like hell. I pulled the starter wire off the other engine and it has now come in handy to start it once.

So, it started and it ran, the only code afterwards was the implausible signal and from what I have found is that means one, or more, items that should get their power from the relay is not getting adequate power.

The other side I need to think about is the starter actually getting the signal to crank, never touched anything to do with this.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
after I replaced the fuse it powered up and the next thing I found is that fuse 43 wasn't getting power when it was supposed to so I had to power it off of relay 109.
Made that happen I hear the lift pump run and the 109 is supplying power, however, I am still getting the terminal 30 (Relay109) implausible fault.
( Caused by fuse 43 not being wired into the 109. This can be done easily in two places, the fuse box and the rain tray.)
Clear it, try to crank and nothing.
looking for what I missed in the swap and now I need to investigate what all is powered by fuse 43 and ensure it's in fact getting the juice it needs.

On the bright side I have been able to start it with a jumper wire to the battery, it smoked like hell. I pulled the starter wire off the other engine and it has now come in handy to start it once.

So, it started and it ran, the only code afterwards was the implausible signal and from what I have found is that means one, or more, items that should get their power from the relay is not getting adequate power.

The other side I need to think about is the starter actually getting the signal to crank, never touched anything to do with this.
( This was a relay swap I had to perform due to the manual swap)
I edited the original post in quote above for solutions to my issues stated.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk