2010 1.6 Tdi Hydraulic lifter rattle

Shinless

TDI
2010 1.6 Tdi
I have got the 1.6Tdi 2010 with 5000km on the clocks. Question- Has any 1.6 Tdi owner ever experienced the following? On total random 1st start ups you get a rattle or ticking noise from the no3 or no4 cylinder (closest to battery) which sounds like a hydraulic lifter that has not lifted? This rattle will carry on for always about 3 min before it slowly goes away. You can immediately hear the differance once it is gone. Always the same cylinder. Had a 2009 1.9 Tdi before so know how quiet these new 1.6Tdi engines are. Car is by Vw, they swopped injectors, checked engine oil pressure with no positive result. Vw says it is because the car does not get used every day that this is happening. Has any other 1.6Tdi ever done this? Any input welcome. Thanks

shadowblue746

TDI
Golf 1.6TDI
I also have a 2010 Golf 1.6TDI and it does exactly as you say. There appears to be no pattern to it only that it tends to happen only if the outside temp is above 7c or so. For example yesterday morning went to work and the outside temp was around 10c and it ticked for about 2 or 3 mins,this morning temperature of 1c and no noise.Finished work in the afternoon with outside temp of 14c and no noise.
Often when i finish work in the afternoon and start the car it can happen and other times it wont. It can go for a week or so and never do it but will only last when it does for as you say 2 or 3 mins.
From what I can recall it started doing it from last summer.
I have been to a dealer but they said that there is nothing wrong.I am of the belief that it is down to the type of oil and its viscosity, because I have also noticed a difference in dipstick levels of about 3mm when oil is checked hot or cold, lower when cold,higher when warm.
Although it is unusual I dont think that there is nothing wrong and am not really concerned. I am here in the Northern Hemisphere so I just think that it is part of their design. I hope this is of some help to you.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Sounds like some extra noise on cold starts. I don't think that you have anything to worry about but I'm unfamiliar with your exact engine and a little jealous that we can't have it here in the states ;). I would say Drive more worry less :)