FS...'96 B4V in SW new mexico...

ditchbum

TDI
B4V, caddy
A sad day, but our beloved 'Elvis' has developed a problem that is over my head. He has a transmission leak, getting worse, could be any number of things, but my gut tells me its remove and repair time. Had noticed a grinding type noise for awhile, now reddish oil covers the area between the trans case and the engine,also spreading under the car. Could be just a seal, but the grinding noise leads me down the rabbit hole.... don't know how much cash it would cost to repair. I have owned this car for the last 18 years, all german parts and lubricants, 18 yrs. worth of repair and mantenance receipts, timing belts @ 50k intervals, yada yada yada. Still shines up pretty well, no rust to speak of, emerald green with sunroof. asking $1500 will drive if tranny topped up, still shifts fine. also encourage anyone for a pep talk on this car as well. I probably could pull the tranny by myself but am a LONG WAY from any reputable tranny shop but any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, am a computer dips$%&t and can't figure out how to post a pic, sorry

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
The trans in that car is a O2A CTN code. They're reasonably plentiful. If you can pull the trans and find that it's not a seal, then pick up a good used trans. I'm a little far away but I have a few of this very same trans.

ditchbum

TDI
B4V, caddy
thanks for the info, found a used trans on eday for $500 shipped w/ 129k , called it a ctn trans....fair deal?