CT to Cali and back... Prep qiestions

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Ok like the title says I'm about to go on a really long trip, what should I do or go over before I leave to prevent a major problem later on?

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
if you taking I-80 watch out for cops in OH
and if you are going to speed through nebraska make sure you're doing it too fast for people to take down your plates or they will call you in"911" to report you on the road. even thought they dont seem to care that they are driving next to each other at same speed and not letting you pass.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
You have an '03 Jetta that gets 38 mpg. Your AT is the weak link, plan on it quitting at the worst possible time, other than that, plan on having to fuel up several times. Seriously, good luck.

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
Give it a fresh oil change, a fuel filter wouldn't hurt either. Inspect belts and hoses. Check fluid levels. Carry a tire patch kit and a small compressor. Basic hand tools. Duct tape. Flash light. Fuses. A jug of water.

You should be good to go!

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
You have an '03 Jetta that gets 38 mpg. Your AT is the weak link, plan on it quitting at the worst possible time, other than that, plan on having to fuel up several times. Seriously, good luck.

AT? what is that

the 38 is on a good tank with no highway driving, i live in rural CT so i tale all back roads, hills, turns, and i drive like i stole it. foot on the floor till 60 or 70 or on the brake but i do coast as much as i can. when i do more highway driving i get in the low 40s with 43 being the highest so far. roughly 180 highway miles

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd

AT? what is that

the 38 is on a good tank with no highway driving, i live in rural CT so i take all back roads, hills, turns, and i drive like i stole it. foot on the floor till 60 or 70 or on the brake but i do coast as much as i can. when i do more highway driving i get in the low 40s with 43 being the highest so far. roughly 180 highway miles

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd

AT? what is that

the 38 is on a good tank with no highway driving, i live in rural CT so i take all back roads, hills, turns, and i drive like i stole it. foot on the floor till 60 or 70 or on the brake but i do coast as much as i can. when i do more highway driving i get in the low 40s with 43 being the highest so far. roughly 180 highway miles

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Ok like the title says I'm about to go on a really long trip, what should I do or go over before I leave to prevent a major problem later on?
If your maintenance is up-to-date, then for the most part all you need to do is fuel up, check the oil and tire pressure, top up the windshield washer fluid, and drive.