Need help. Replaced O-rings on fuel injector pump and now it will not start

Aanderson1

TDI
2000 jetta TDI
Hi all I replaced the O-rings on my 2000 jetta tdi the other day and now it will not start, we bled the fuel system multiple times and there still seems to be air coming out of the lines. The motor will turn over and if i give it fuel it will accelerate but the engine does not seem to want to catch and idle. I know the o-rings are sitting correctly as there are no leaks anymore. Any ideas? Im a college kid so I don't have access to a big shop and would prefer not to dish out to VW to have them fix it. Could there be something simple I'm missing?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Just for clarification, when you say O-Rings, are you talking about the crush washers where the lines go into the pump or the viton seals that go around the head of the pump?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Need more clarification still.

Did you change the seals on the QA?

Maybe splain exactly what you changed and how you know you got everything back where it was.

Aanderson1

TDI
2000 jetta TDI
Followed a video on youtube that did a complete replacement of all three seals. took the head plate off and replaced the seal then the middle plate and did the same for that seal, then mityvacced the fuel out of the chamber, rotated the camshaft to put pressure on the cam inside the pump so the metal seal would not fall out. then took the third head off by alternating two t30 bolts the pressure pushed the plate out far enough to see the o ring and then picked it off with a dental pick. replaced that seal by stretching it over the head while being careful not to cut it with the bolts, then removed the bolts one at a time dropping the seal into place, checked with a mirror to make sure it was seated properly then reassembled. Im wondering if it is an issue with the solenoid or fuel filter?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Nope, that covers it.

The solenoid is pretty trouble free and is easily tested by apply 12v and hearing it click.

I wouldn't suspect the fuel filter since it was presumably running ok before? Unless you caused an air leak by moving hoses around.

If the injector pipes were removed it can take a while to get them bled completely.

If you're sure you've got it bled properly then I would look at the QA positioning. How did you make sure you got it back in the same place? Scribe lines? May be time for the hammer mod.

Last edited:

Aanderson1

TDI
2000 jetta TDI
yea i tested the solenoid and heard it click when turning the key. and yea it was running fine before. So I should just continue to bleed the pipes? and yes I put lines on the two pieces before removing it to make sure it was relatively in the same spot. the lines match up in my eyes. should i try moving it around slightly?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
1.When you prime fuel with Vacuum pump did you get fuel at return line?

2.If you did , after that open about one turn fuel lines at injectors to get air out, once you see fuel coming out , close them and start car

Aanderson1

TDI
2000 jetta TDI
Yep pulled through with a solid stream with no bubbles. reconnected and cracked two at a time all of them spit fluid. car still won't start.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Since I've never done this, I may be speaking out of turn, but wouldn't you finish up a seal replacement by checking the pump holds a seal, with say air pressure.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Since I've never done this, I may be speaking out of turn, but wouldn't you finish up a seal replacement by checking the pump holds a seal, with say air pressure.
If you can prime fuel , and get to injectors , then Seals are holding pressure.

One time I had someone pinch lower o-ring and was not prime pump at all.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
If you managed to get the seals in maintaining pressure through the cam and nothing Inside of the pump slipped causing catastrophic failure that would cause you to have a pump rebuild.
You're missing something simple and you need to retrace your steps.
Plausible the t at the filter is messed up, or the seal is.
Also plausible there's still air captive in the line.
Try hanging a bit of diesel, or diesel purge, and bypassing the filter and resistance from the lines.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk