Air Filter not for cold climate?

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I need to put an order through with impex and thought that I would pick up a few filters to save on some shipping.

When looking at the air filters:
http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by...=2003&make_id=1&model_id=318&category_id=1010

They say they are not for cold climate use, am I right to assume it just means they don't have the built in snow screen and as long as I do have one separately in my car I am ok? Or do I need to buy a different filter that they don't carry?

Lastly, what is the difference between the two they carry?

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
No clue what their difference is but...Those filters are missing the foamish piece at the bottom that prevents snow/water entry.

Helps prevent.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Cold weather filter:

Super, is your snow screen still in place? If not, you should run the cold weather filter.

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
My snowscreen is still there. So as long as that is the case a regular air filter is fine?

Kind of a mute point from this supplier as I could walk over to VW and it works out cheaper after their crazy shipping costs. I know there are other online suppliers, but I really wanted to order the winter grill cover.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
superskid said:
My snowscreen is still there. So as long as that is the case a regular air filter is fine?

Kind of a mute point from this supplier as I could walk over to VW and it works out cheaper after their crazy shipping costs. I know there are other online suppliers, but I really wanted to order the winter grill cover.
Yes, standard air filter is fine. I think the cold weather filter just adds the letter "A" to the end of the part number.

Gil

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 auto wagon and 2004 stick
You don't need the "cold weather filter" for your car.
The cold weather filter is ment for the PD engine that has a 2 section air box.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Gil said:
You don't need the "cold weather filter" for your car.
The cold weather filter is ment for the PD engine that has a 2 section air box.
The CW filter is perfectly fine for his car, even if it doesn't specifically require it.

My 02 Golf had a snowcreen until I finally cut the d@mn thing out to elminate having to clean it regularly. My car also has peformance mods and my chip tuner (Jeff/RC) recommended removing it. I now use the CW filter as cheap insurance in my 02 Golf to make up for the lack of a snowscreen even though my Golf doesn't specifically require it.

CW filter P/N: 1J0 129 620 A
Standard filter P/N: 1J0 129 620

"A" on end of part number = CW version.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
FWIW I removed the snow screen on my car and simply use the cold weather filter. I got tired of having to clean all the Michigan bugs out every 5k miles.

-Jason