Drivers door won't shut most of the time

jella01

Hey, I have a 2001 jetta and lately the drivers door wont open from the outside so i have to open the back door and reach up and pull the handle from the inside. That wasnt so bad. But now the drivers door wont shut and it got so bad that i have been getting in and out through the passangers door for the last couple of days. And by wont shut, I mean that when I get in and sit down and close the door it wont latch and close. At first it would take a couple of trys to get it to latch, but the other day at work it took me 10 minutes to get it to latch. And thats standing on the outside with window down and holding on to the top of the door panel and trying to close it over and over and then finally it latched and I got in through the passangers side. I searched around on here but I'm not sure if it is my door switch or not. Any help would be nice.

jella01

thanks for all the help you useless pieces of **** go jack off to your volkswagen while someone else ****s your g/f! Kick me the **** off this site it never helped me anyways

BeeselDietle

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
I was just reading this thread and was going to reply to tell you what the problem was. I see that you have also replied and now we all know were the problem lies. Have a nice day.

wolf1477

TDI
2000 Golf
Psycho much?
Wow, someone forgot to take thier meds today.

Actually tho, if someone has an answer I'd like to hear it. My driver's door takes a double pull to open most of the time and every once in a while doesn't shut fully. I'm personnaly leaning towards door pins/bushings.

Wolf, TIA

WantingaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 03 TDI
I think he tried his posting...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=159037
07-01-07, 10:43 AM #17 jella01 Member
I always thought it would be fun to somehow hook up an electrical current to the door handles when you lock it. Then when the greasy dirtbags go to get in ZAP! It wouldnt have to be a big shock just something that will leave the skin from their fingers on the door handles. HAHAHAHAHA

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Poor guy, must have really gotten to him... I would suggest cleaning the door latch really well with some sort of solvent (carb cleaner / WD40) then lubing it with some nice lithium grease and making sure it moves freely... If that doesn't help, then taking the latch assembly out would be my next step.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
rotfl. you just won baby of the year award @ tdiclub! good luck finding someone to help you now!

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
jella01 said:
thanks for all the help you useless pieces of **** go jack off to your volkswagen while someone else ****s your g/f! Kick me the **** off this site it never helped me anyways
I think he went Postal! I usually react to this kind of behavior with a WAA WAA WAAAAA! Then I remember some people are less fortunate.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Uh oh, looks like someone needs some smilies!!
:rolleyes:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
jella01 said:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
bhtooefr said:

bhtooefr, don't hate on the homos. You know you love us.

We'll get you soon enough!

Last edited:

Solamia

TDI
2001 Blue Jetta TDI (380K mi)
OK, MY door won't shut now. What is the solution?

So no real answer was posted for the guy that went wacko on everyone. Can anyone help me? Promise not to go postal! I shut the door and it bounces back. It showed NO symptoms at all until it totally failed. Not able to drive it for 2 weeks now. I never use the key on the door, just the button on the key fob.
And I see other posts where it's frozen, just needs warmed up, but its been 80s and 90s here.
I will go get some spray silicon (I see suggestion to NOT use WD-40) but I have a feeling that won't work.
Hopefully there's a reply when I get back, but I won't freak if ya'll don't see this for a few days. I'll keep tinkering with it in the mean time. Thanks!

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Post #8 seems like a real answer to me.

I'd be suspecting alignment of the door. Or a part needs replacing.
Check alignment, as well as clean it all up real good like post#8 suggests while you're at it.
If that has no help, be looking for broken, worn or bent parts on the door or at the latch on the body.
I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with the doorhandle not working;maybe now it won't grab either, I am not sure just an idea.

Want some more help?
I suspect youre young, by how you were writing; you should talk to your parents. Let them know what is wrong. There has to be some other reason you blew up; it couldn't have been us awesome people of TDIclub. I hope you fix your latch problem and more importantly your attitude and demeanor towards other, on and off line if you act this way at home.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
We are a much more relaxed crew than vortex. Maybe if you were to apologize to us for how you went on a rampage within 24 hours of the original post, we could look past all this.
There is a lot of knowledge on this board, as well as great people here to help, treat us nicely and you'll blend right in and recieve a ton of help!

Act as you have and you will be treated like garbage.

Solamia

TDI
Thanks, I'll try what you suggested. I feel really stupid having issues with a door, don't feel like I know what I'm doing, just not visualizing it. I'd rather be working in the engine compartment!
Doubt that Jella01 is still around to see your comments...shows his last activity as 2007. His loss, this is a great source of info!
Thanks again!

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
So no real answer was posted for the guy that went wacko on everyone. Can anyone help me? Promise not to go postal! I shut the door and it bounces back. It showed NO symptoms at all until it totally failed. Not able to drive it for 2 weeks now. I never use the key on the door, just the button on the key fob.
And I see other posts where it's frozen, just needs warmed up, but its been 80s and 90s here.
I will go get some spray silicon (I see suggestion to NOT use WD-40) but I have a feeling that won't work.
Hopefully there's a reply when I get back, but I won't freak if ya'll don't see this for a few days. I'll keep tinkering with it in the mean time. Thanks!
The latch on the door is not opening and it is bouncing off the striker. Work the latch loose. Spray it and exercise it and see if you can manually open the latch. Sounds like someone had the door open and moves the latch closed manually.

Solamia

TDI
The latch is open. I've had that happen on other cars and moved it to open position. But this latch is open and accepts the striker, it just does not grab it. (confused)

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
So then it must not e moving freely, or the latch is broken. Does the latch meet up with the striker correctly? Close the latch with your fingers and then pull the outer handle and see if it opens......

Solamia

TDI
Thanks Powerstroke!

Latch does meet up with striker.
I closed the latch and pulled the outer handle, the latch didn't move.
I went to other door, did the same, when I closed that latch with my fingers there were two clicks that held it where it was at the time of the clicks.
There were no clicks on the bad door. It just spins back to the open position.

Would I need an entire new latch or just a part that is in it?

Last edited:

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Sounds like you new a new latch.if you're manually moving it and its just spinning, it sounds like its mechanically broken. It's not too bad of a job. I have done it and I took my time. I would say for a first timer if your comfortable, it will take around 2 or 3 hours. There are tutorials on either here or vortex

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You have to pull the door skin and the regulator off and the outer handle if I remember. Once you do it, it's probably around an hour job I woul think without rushing and breaking clips and plastic bits. I tend to take my time when I do stuff like that, I don't like having to go and buy stuff because I was in a rush. It's a Saturday afternoon job.

Solamia

TDI
OK. While I'm in there...in case I can kill two birds with one stone...
Who knows what the solution to this problem is?

If I unlock the car with the key FOB (I never use the key so I don't know if it would do it with the key), if I have the key FOB any where near the car, it will lock itself on it's own. I have actually had the key locked in the car before because of this. I believe the key was in the ignition once when it locked itself. I have to be completely aware to not leave the key in the ignition or on the seat when I am outside of it. Could there be something I need to fix that is inside the door while I'm replacing the mechanical latch?
(Again, thanks for your help Powerstroke and for anyone else that can help! Much appreciated!)

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The only scenarios that I know the car will lock on its own, is if you unarm it and don't open a door, it will rearm itself in 30 seconds or so, the second scenario is if you open just the hatch on a golf and reclose the hatch it will automatically rearm the car. This is assuming the car was armed and a door was not opened yet. The third scenario is the locks will close when you go above 10mph. I would say all your problems are in the latch....it's just that one door giving the problem?