Strange noise from cv or suspension?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Hi guys, I have a strange noise on my Skoda (same drivetrain/chassis as mk5 Golf) that I can't pinpoint.
It's only present a short while when the suspension is unloading after being compressed, at the end of the stroke. Most noticeable after big smooth frost heaves. Only at highway speeds, no change in noise if the road is straight or not.
It's like a creaking and it has the same frequency as the drive shafts or wheels.
I know the left side outer cv-joint is worn, it makes the typical popping sound when going slowly and steering hard to the right.
Could that also make a noise when going over bumps? Never experienced that before...
I have pretty new strut mounts and LCA bushings. The struts are old though, could they make such noises?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
The noise got worse and it became clear that something in the drivetrain was binding. Removed the known to be bad cv-joint and it had 2 sets of worn-out spots which made the creaking/rumbling sound when going over bumps.
I'm a bit surprised that it went that quickly, but I'm glad it wasn't anything worse.
With a new cv-joint it's quiet again.