2000 Jetta tdi FE problem

IHRTRQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey so kind of new to the Tdis Picked up a 2000 jetta gls back in january. Bought the car from a performance shop in nh who worked on all vw audi. They received the car with blown motor from broken t belt. They rebuilt the head and new t belt along with new intake manifold and a bunch of other little things (non-mechanical). 5 speed tranny. Driving is about a 50/50 split city/highway

So since then i have been taking my car to Chris hill (Great guy) in Braintree is anyone knows the south shore of mass.

As for the FE issue since i have had the car i Avg only 39-41 Mpg this includes stock, then stock with roof racks, then roof racks with a chip, then back to stock with RR, Then to 502 nozzels( yes I know to big) chip and roof racks. Still just between 39-41.

I recently just drove it to florida with the tune only and two bicycles on the roof i avged bout 37 all the way down. The entire time driving around down there I avged bout 38-40 with bikes on the roof.

For the trip home i squeezed the bikes in the car and got my best tank from tampa to NC of about 45mpg. Next tank though went down to 40 again still with the bikes in the car.

Chris has also done the timing best way to describe in its the higher part of the graph i believe the vag-com??

Well anyways heard other people talking 45mpg+ winter driving/winter gas up here and upwards 50 in summer.

I know its only 5-8 mpg but that really adds up and i just want 50mpg bragging rights:D .

So any ideas would be appreciated or even guiding me in the right direction.

Thanks

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Man that *is* slow. Should be getting 50 MPG at that speed.

Dragging brakes?

IHRTRQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
hahaha well speed limits are 65 here kind of deadly if you do that speed cause everyone is going 80+ but im trying to get big fuel numbers.

As for dragging brakes cant be cause driving city if i see a red light its in neutral coasting to it for as far as i can see and usually need to use brakes once i get there. have noticed anything weird with brakes. (also will coast in gear )
Is it true that if in gear above 1200rpms it will almost cut fuel totally??

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Yes, no fuel injected above 1200 RPM or so if it's not requested.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Well, you can probably eliminate timing as a problem... so everything else is suspect. Pretty much every sensor, electrical connection, vacuum hose, turbo, N75, EGR, clogged intake, nozzles, injection pump, thermostat, etc.

It can take a LONG time to diagnose poor fuel economy. Most fuel economy problems are between the front seat and the steering wheel. After hanging out here for 7 years or so, I can say that most people never resolve fuel economy issues. Just go about it slowly and methodically.

If dollars and cents are your primary concern, then don't spend too much on the problem... it is hard to make that back by gaining only a few MPGs.

Oh, and don't listen to Bob Fout... he can't even decide what kind of oil he likes! (kidding)

toadz1

banned
TDI
A4
Clean your intake manifold, is it clean?

Check your Mass Airflow sensor with VAG com for requested versus actual air flowed. Does the car run better if you unplug the electrical connection to the MAF?

check your N75 valve,
check your VNT pot on the turbo for function, check all the hose lines for vacuum leaks.

Go read the FAQ's for lost power in the TDI 101 section

IHRTRQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Has new intake manifold as mentioned in first post including new nozzels which were tested. ill have to look into these other things. thanks