Geared BSM carnage

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Sold a guy a BSM delete kit that I had on the shelf and he brought back the old parts for show and tell...

Kevinski4

TDI
Not much of a backstory. Guy is not the original owner. Figured it still had a chain. Said it started making noise so he shut it off had had it towed. He has it back together now and it ran and idled good. Took it for a test drive and came home with real bad rod knock. The oil pump is all chewed up inside from eating gear teeth. Hex key has noticeable wear on it. Unknown miles on the geared BSM.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Any damage to the inside of the front of the oil pan? We had one come through that the BSM idler gear was not properly torqued and the bolt cam loose. (The car owner had installed it himself)

It wore a nice divot in the front of the pan before the carnage looked like the pictures above.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Curious if similar incidents of a geared BSM has been reported before. I do not recall registering on the TDIClub B5.5 'radar' for the last few years but there are more knowledgable folks in this forum than can chime in please.

Kevinski4

TDI
Any damage to the inside of the front of the oil pan? We had one come through that the BSM idler gear was not properly torqued and the bolt cam loose. (The car owner had installed it himself)

It wore a nice divot in the front of the pan before the carnage looked like the pictures above.
Not sure about the front of the pan, but that's the least of this guys worries. It wasn't rod knock, the crank is broke. The #1 web between the crank snout and the first rod journal is broke clean through. The loose idler must have been repeated getting jammed between the crank sprocket and BSM sprocket, stressing the crank.

It's obvious that the idler gear bolt wasn't torqued. Whoever installed it tried to use an allen socket to torque it, stripped the internal XZN fastener, and then must have used a vise grips to "make sure it was tight". You can see the bite marks on the bolt head from vise grips.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
OMG. That sounds like a BSM job performed by "M I N I O N" a former tdiclub member in bad standing (not to be confused with current member "MINION" without he spaces).

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I would think buying a VW supplied shortblock at this point would be a bargain.

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH

I had and engine this same problem. I saved the geared BSM and wonder if it's still any good. I might be able to source the damaged gears but not sure if the internals got damaged or not.

What would you say?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
We reused the BSM, just replaced the damaged gears. The gears are the same as on a CBEA if I remember correctly. The hex shaft was fine on the one we had that the idler came loose on. Check your hex shaft, if its not showing signs of rounding, the module is probably OK

I have one B5.5 with a geared BSM and 2 with chain driven ALH oil pumps. The one with the geared BSM is in the only one that still has the ZF auto. When that geared BSM fails, or when the ZF fails, its getting the BSM delete and 5 speed manual conversion too.

farnhamassoc

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta tdi, 09 TDI SPORTWAGEN 2011 Audi a3 TDI. VW caddy turbo diesel... Various vw split window busses
BSM delete is the only way I will Own a CBEA. I am even deleting the 100mm shaft in mine right now. Had a failure on my 09 never want to go through that again. CJAAA swap or Chain pump that does not run that fast is the way to go.....

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I have an 05 with geared bsm and just over 100k-no problems. Remember all it's not what but who.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have 150k on mine, but I have a couple customers that have over 200k, and one has gone over 250k.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
hmmmm would the BSM delete kit fit into the CKRA? its designed for CBEA as I suspect CKRA do have similar design as CBEA on the bottom since they all are EA189 engine family?