adjust auto transmission line pressure

Turbo20VJetta

TDI
01 1.8 Turbo
Very interesting. I heard about this mod over on ClubRSX. I am thinking hard about trying it on my 1.8 turbo 4 speed auto. First I guess I have to confirm that I have the 01 trans you guys are speaking of.

What kind of torque numbers are you guys making. I figure I am at around 260 lb-ft at the crank or say 225-230 at the wheels.

Do any of you guys live around Delaware? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Turbo20VJetta

TDI
01 1.8 Turbo
[ QUOTE ]
How about 325 ft-lbs through an automatic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so I guess a lot of you guys are making more torque than me. Have any of you guys had problems with the 4 speed auto holding up to that kind of abuse?

There just isn't this kind of info out there in the 1.8 turbo groups. Very few autos out there.....

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
[ QUOTE ]
it is a 01N on the Passat 3B, increasing the line pressure is easier than on the 01M:

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like that transmission fluid was about due, nice and toasty brown...

jbrams

So as I see it there are many benefits, and a possible negative effect
Possible negative outcome:
(1) You might turn the dang thing the wrong way and strip the tabs that hold it in place and in doing have broken a non-replacable parts. This can be avoided by just making sure you're turning in the right direction, in other words, not a big deal so don't worry too much about it.
(2) Not reversable if you decide that you don't like what you've done (though one person said "You can back it out with one click a time by bending the "strips" carefully")

Possible/reported benefits:
(1) reduced/eliminated delay between gears (e.g. no delay when shifting into reverse from drive or vise versa, as opposed to the common delay of around 1 second).
(2) "Tighter" or "more positive" shifting . . . hard to explain it seems, but basically a good thing.
(3) "responds much better to the throttle"
(4) lower rpm shifting (basically there is zone where torque is highest and that is not in the high RPMs)
(5) One person reported increased MPG, more likely affected by something other than this mod, but it's possible.

Overall, it seems like the positive far outweigh the negative, I'll try this in a few weeks after classes are over (finals right now =( ). I'll post results here.

Any tips or suggestions Kerma?
Abe

GJettaH

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2000, Silver
I did this today. 00 TDI Jetta with 192,000 on it. The torque convertor has not been locking up once the transmission gets warm. Resetting it only lasted about 40 miles sometimes less. I changed the fluid and filter (on a side note, since it is called a strainer my mechanic who is usually very good did not replace it when they changed the fluid at 90k and 180k. It was dated 7/99. The fluid was not too bad but I did have more crap stuck to the magnet than I would have liked. I found the stainless screw for lockup was not snug but I only had to turn it a 1/4 turn. I turned thepressure adjust screw you mention 15 clicks. It is a daily driver for me so I stayed concervative. It did decrease the time to shift but I think it still revs too high before shifting to 3rd or 4th. I would like that changed since you know the power is there if it would just shift. I also added about 10oz of Lucas Transmission fix which is a pure thick oil. Hopefully it will help with the thinning as the trans gets warm. The lockup is much more noticable now and after about 50 miles of driving it worked properly, engages quicker and feels more solid when it does. It looks like this will solve it but if not I may add a radiator to the water line feeding the cooler since it always seems heat related. I do not have vag-com so I used an outdoor thermometer with a cord I could put in the fill hole. Chiltons says the temp should be between 95 and 113 degrees when the level is checked for others without. Thanks to TDI Club for having answers so readily available. Only downer, I had to wait behind a toyota hybred when I got a drink at McDonalds. The real shame is that if I would have pushed it out of the way I would have been the one in trouble. When will they learn.

RoyR

Just found this thread - fascinating!
The 096 autobox has a very similar valve body with a star-type adjuster in precisely the same location. Does it also adjust the ramping up and down rate of the line pressure ? And will adjusting it also benefit the performance of an 096 (like it does for an 01M)?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Probably- but there's only one way to know for sure!

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS Silver with Leather
Gonna do this mod this weekend. 50K now, so time for tranny service (IMHO).

GJettaH

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2000, Silver
My Jetta now has 197,500 miles on it. The problem still exists with the lock up but I have more information on it. It is related to heat when it happens. If the alarm is cleared it will not fail to lock up until you stop with it in drive or 3rd after it is warm or if you push it on the highway hard for 10-15 miles. I checked the trans cooler and at an idle it flows half of the volume through it compared to what goes through the engine oil cooler or heater/egr cooler. At 1400 rpm the flow through the trans cooler goes up 2-3 times but the others only minimally. I put a tee in the lower radiator hose to go to the trans cooler and then to the engine oil cooler thinking the water pump did not have the volume to supply everything. The trans cooler just has more resistance so the flow did not increase. However the water going to transmission is much cooler now and even though it does heat it up it is still cooler than the 190 degree water that was going to the engine oil cooler. This should help cool the engine oil better also. I does take a couple more miles now to warm up but it is not that noticable since the cool radiator water is heated by both the trans and engine oil cooler before going back to the bypass line. I did this change at 193,000 miles and it fixed the problem to some extent. I could push hard down the hiway all day and it would not happen. If I down shifted when stopping in traffic to 2nd or 1st it would not happen. At 196500 the lockup quit engaging altogether. If the alarm is cleared it trys a couple time but it will not grab. I think if I had done this awhile back it may not have happened at all since the trans will run cooler. I am guessing the torque convertor itself is the problem since I think I seen on this site that the trans oil goes from the pump to the cooler to the torque convertor. Since it trys to do the lock up I think that would mean the valve bodie is working. Keep the oil cooler seems to affect it which tells me the torque convertor likes the cooler oil. If anyone does find which is the culprit let me know. The torque convertor is $850.00 and the trans about $3,500 (the core is worth $1000.00) from my local vw dealer. Other than this it drives and shifts great and I do not want to put in a convertor if the trans is going to fail and then I would have to replace the convertor again. If I found out which it is I will repost it.

VictorCassar

Kerma, great thread, real knowledge, real tech, real people
I Just want to clarify some things just learned in this thread

1.- Since "The clutch slippage is designed in to make "smoother" shifts", so i understand that there is a "by design programed slippage" just to feel the smoother shifts? do i understood right?

If so, do i gain more tranny life, just by reducing the slippage with the line pressure mod right? (personaly i dont care about the smooth shiftings if it will cost $$ in the long run)

Does this concept applies for all the modern (electronic driven )auto trannies?

And final question , where can i read more about your tranny box?

thanks in advance (and sorry by my poor english)

And thanks for the forum, it´s really hard to find competent people like you , in other auto tech forums

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The bit about "programmed slippage" to smooth out the shifts applies to practically every automatic transmission that has ever been produced - whether electronic-control or otherwise. The concept of bumping up the line pressure in a performance application to reduce this slippage isn't new. If you install a "shift kit" in a good old mechanical/hydraulic GM THM350, this is one of the things it does.

"Tow/haul" mode on newer GM trucks also makes the shifts firmer by reducing the programmed slippage, among other things.

keypecker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW traded off 2005 Passat sedan 2.0 TDI
Have you considered using the 11S pentosin instead of the 7.1 pentosin, from what I gather 7.1 is what is used stock, and the 11s version is synthetic. it might help with the heat problem. I have priced a full flush at my dealership and it is $250
and when I heard that price I did not push further to find out which oil they flush/replace with.

keypecker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW traded off 2005 Passat sedan 2.0 TDI
kerma. My auto shifts quite abruptly after I get off the interstate from and 5-10 mile jaunt, I think the tranny computer tightens things up a bit on the highway, it settles down within a few miles once I hit city streets again.
2 questions, did you notice what I described above before the tranny adjustment? and #2 did your shifting get even ~more~ abrupt after a highway run and return to the city streets???
oh... one more... is there a way to drain the TC when you do a fluid change??
Thanks

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
kerma. My auto shifts quite abruptly after I get off the interstate from and 5-10 mile jaunt, I think the tranny computer tightens things up a bit on the highway, it settles down within a few miles once I hit city streets again.
2 questions, did you notice what I described above before the tranny adjustment? and #2 did your shifting get even ~more~ abrupt after a highway run and return to the city streets???
oh... one more... is there a way to drain the TC when you do a fluid change??
Thanks
No.

N/A

No.

My advice: check your fluid level. Alternately, change you fluid and filter, it might improve.

Also, have you tried restoring basic settings? turn in key, hold down pedal 5 sec to floor, release pedal, start car w/o touching go-pedal, you're done.

ZapBuzz

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2002 teal
Kerma, I noticed somting, sometimes as i am driving over hill and dale, when i back off the peddle, the rpm's will settle down to 900-1000 as i coast, other times the rpm's stay up as i coast. I'm asuming that this is bacuse the the TC is locked up when the rpms stay up and not locked up when they drop to idle.

So, if that is the case, what would you think of a mod that would unlock the TC when you back out of the peddle completely (maybe right away or after a second delay or somting) to allow more effecient coasting (would defenatly make an impact on my mpg as i go up and down many hills daily).

VictorCassar

Gofaster, Thanks for the explanation,
It´s really good for me, ok so that means that instead of the "shifting below 2500 rpm" behavior is better to shift a little higher lets say 3000rpms, now i´m getting my first new automatic 01M (since i´m doing 100% big city driving), this is my first new tranny so i´ll do anything to care and maintain it, in the past i had big nightmares with a304 (dodge) from used cars, so i never knew if that trannys where abused before me, here the weather is over the 80´s and city, you could imagine that this si real work for the tranny, so i plan to monitor the temp ocasionally eith vagcom, etc

regards

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Has anyone done this? (How many did it but no post here?)
Does this mod really work? (I see that but what about the lockup?)
Is there expected issues for having this mod after a couple years?

I am about to replace my filter and fluid, then I saw this post. So I am getting those delays on shifting when it should shift earlier. I like to do this mod.

go_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Golf, 04 Jetta
KERMA,

here is the pin out for VW AT connector and what solenoids do what.

EV4,EV5 & EV6:

EV4 Lock Up converter.
with mods higher pressure needed to LU converter

EV5 Dumps pressure for a smooth shift
EV6 pulse width modulated valve adjs.trans pressure.

4speed tiptronic anyone???

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Nice pictures, Thanks for the info, it has been covered HERE and HERE already.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
So when do we get to see your killer tranny box on the market? It seems I could use something that locks up the tranny when I have my evry mod on as the tranny will slip when going from 2-3 at high rpm's up hills (on ramps mostly)

GJettaH

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2000, Silver
No I have not tried any other oil than than the standard from vw. I am at 208,000 and now it trys every so often to lock up but disenganges just as quick as it starts. Some one sent me some information on the valve itself that controls it but I have not pursued it yet. When the piston and sleeve wear in that valve the torque convertor will not unlock, but mine is the opposite. It may work both ways though. I have started to think it will be this way until the tc or trans fails at some point and both are replaced.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
OK, finally did this. Fluid/filter change, dremeled a 3mm and
turned the sucker in as far as it would go (can't tell you how
many clicks, as it really didn't click consistently).

42,500 miles and the tranny fluid was DIRTY, with grey dust
everywhere. Yeeesh. Also, reset (I hope) the computer:
1) turn key to on position, 2) push accelerator pedal all the
way and held for about 6-7 seconds 3) released pedal, 4) turned
key to start.

Anyway, big improvement. Much better shifts. To be honest,
in my experience driving autos, this is how a newly rebuild
tranny feels: very tight.

Next up is a matched chip+large injectors combo. I'm thinking
at least .215s. I currently have an upsolute from summer 2002,
but want to go to a matched combo to reduce smoke.

Thanks, Kerma!

Baltic

TDI
Transporter TDI (75kW, auto), 1999
I have noticed same product...
So could it be that the TC lock slips because the pressure "leaks" somewhere...?
I have this lockup problem too. Sometimes it fail to lockup. Sometimes the car shivers when locup starts.
Sometimes my tranny works very well. And because of that I think that the lockup problem is cause of control somehow. If it is just TC mechanical issue it should appear all the time...

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/PDF/119940-01K(rb).pdf

I have done the line pressure mod in my 1999 EuroVan. Tranny (valve body) is same like VW passenger cars.

gcsdls

Veteran Member
TDI
selling my 2001
Kerma,

How is it going with the tranny box you're developing? As part of this box, are you putting in a manual lockup capability? Just wondering....

george

silentbob

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf
I have noticed same product...
So could it be that the TC lock slips because the pressure "leaks" somewhere...?
I have this lockup problem too. Sometimes it fail to lockup. Sometimes the car shivers when locup starts.
Sometimes my tranny works very well. And because of that I think that the lockup problem is cause of control somehow. If it is just TC mechanical issue it should appear all the time...

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/PDF/119940-01K(rb).pdf

I have done the line pressure mod in my 1999 EuroVan. Tranny (valve body) is same like VW passenger cars.
i tried the tcc kit....did absolutely nothing to my car. nadda. no lockup on the way home from the shop...and still the same symptoms since (like 15k miles)....

ulinux

TDI
2,5l A6 V6 TDI TURBO QUATTRO 24V TT5, 1,9l TDI Passat 3B AFN AG4
@silentbob:
did you already measure the line pressure of the tranny as described in the service manual?
did you do any modifications on the injection pump?

bigbear

Hi!

I have Passat 3B (europe model 1999 110hp) It have 4 gear automatic but how I know if it is 01M model?
it is a 01N on the Passat 3B, increasing the line pressure is easier than on the 01M:

Ok.but how much I should turn and which way
? Do I have to change anything else like solenoids or something?