Rear Running/Side Marker Light Out

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
OK, maybe a dumb question. But on my '06 Jetta I noticed my left rear running/side marker lamp (some may call it a parking lamp) is out. So, I go into the trunk and remove the bulb assembly only to find I have just two large bulbs in the bundle. Ok, so I remove the tail light assembly expecting to be able to get to a 194/168 style bulb or such. Nope! It appears that this is a built in bulb or LED and can only be remedied by purchasing a new tail light housing?

Am I correct or incorrect in this assumption?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so now I find it is an LED and interconnected with the front marker? So, if front is out, the rear goes out until the front bulb is replaced. If I have that correct?

My front side marker works so it looks like I need to replace the rear housing correct? Now, if so that just seems DUMB! $100+ vs. $2.00 for two bulbs.......

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You are correct that if the front side maker light goes out that the same side tail will not work. I was very confused about this the first time I found it as well. If you look at the electrical schematics, you can see why this is.

A couple other things:

If you are using an LED bulb in the front side marker, it has to be a can buss type of LED bulb. Otherwise, the car will think the side marker is still out and the rear light will not work.

If you are using a incandescent bulb in the front side maker, you have to replace the bulb and then cycle the key off and on, (and maybe the lights as well), again before the rear will work.

If your rear is still not working after that, then you might need a new rear unit.

Hope this helps.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^^^
Thanks for the confirmation. I am running Incand. bulbs and I understand the issues w/LED's in certain apps. The front marker DOES work, so next up will be to check the plug to verify power going TO the parking/running light.

OK, I'll bite.....is this not another stupid automotive engineering feat? I mean come on, a $2.00 dollar packet of bulbs is much less $ vs. $100+ and would actually be easier to swap (since the bulb assembly HAS to be removed any way. I can not rationalize the reasoning behind this.

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
OK, I'll bite.....is this not another stupid automotive engineering feat? I mean come on, a $2.00 dollar packet of bulbs is much less $ vs. $100+ and would actually be easier to swap (since the bulb assembly HAS to be removed any way. I can not rationalize the reasoning behind this.
Just found this out myself after noticing the l/s rear marker light was really dim, so I took the tail light out to find there is no way to replace the bulb and now it doesn't work at all. :confused:
Unreal, Hello Volkswagen I hope who ever engineered the tail lights is no longer working there.