• None

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justdrive

TDI
2015 TDi SE
Does your 2015 Jetta Rattle? It should.

After spending four hours at VW having the service tech tearing my brand new dash apart, he identified that the heater box was the source of the plastic rattle. Their solution was to stuff cardboard in there. While this worked for 80% of the problem there is still some rattling on a 6000 mile car.

There is also a tin rattle coming from under the steering column.

These noises are heard around 1100-1200 rpm when the engine mounts don't dampen as much. A Malone DSG tune actually eliminated most of the problems.

I thought it would be good to post here and see if we could get a recall to fix this issue.

BigCE

TDI
2015 Jetta
No rattles thankfully with my car yet. Only 400 miles though lol.

EDIT: After a 3000mile road trip I have to change my answer. The steering column rattles, also the center console in front of the shifter rattles and the pillar between the front and rear door rattles quite a bit on the driver side. Very disappointed in all of it honestly.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I don't own one, but I certainly drive a lot of them, and am always amazed at just how tight and well sorted the [obviously] cheapened NCS Jetta is. Just did a 90k service on a 2012 this morning. I didn't notice any rattles at all inside.

But hey, it's a $16k car. What do you expect? :p

Sh33pdog88

TDI
2015 Jetta 6spd TDI S
The horn on my 2015 TDI S 6spd jiggles down a bumpy road, and the damn blower makes a noise when the car first turns on for about 10-15 minutes, then goes away after that. And it sounds like thin metal flaps are vibrating when accelerating moderately from approx 1200-1800 rpms. So not that impressed with build quality interior wise. Got it brand new in Jan and have 10k miles on it so far. :/

MPGs and ride quality are great, but the interior doesn't seem to be up to standard. My 06 Honda Si has no rattles and its got 100k on it.

When I had service done at 10k, told dealer about it, they just flashed ECU to take care of glow plugs, and took whole dash apart and back together again... Only seemed to help the horn a little bit.

Last edited:

Nick_F

TDI
2015 Jetta TDi Highline
I have 30,000km on my 2015 and this thing has a lot of rattles

Sunroof rattles , passenger b pillar/headliner rattles, rattle at low rpm on acceleration, and cold mornings in the winter the rear window rattles loud!

Going to Vw to have them probably tell me they can't hear it. Lol

steve1479

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Rear parcel shelf, dash cluster behind the tach at around 2000 rpms or at idle when first starting the car (more noticeable in the winter), both front doors while music with bass (not insane bass to +38 on the EQ bass) is playing.

Lots of rattles and I'm not impressed.

VodkanDiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Does your 2015 Jetta Rattle? It should.

After spending four hours at VW having the service tech tearing my brand new dash apart, he identified that the heater box was the source of the plastic rattle. Their solution was to stuff cardboard in there. While this worked for 80% of the problem there is still some rattling on a 6000 mile car.

There is also a tin rattle coming from under the steering column.

These noises are heard around 1100-1200 rpm when the engine mounts don't dampen as much. A Malone DSG tune actually eliminated most of the problems.

I thought it would be good to post here and see if we could get a recall to fix this issue.
Hey I think I might have the same rattle as you. Where exactly is the heater box rattle coming from? Can you get to it without tearing the car apart? It's driving me crazy and I want to fix it. Can you upload a picture if possible?

Thanks

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Yes sir - no doubt about it - rattles in the dash right behind the steering wheel, at low RPMs - a Lexus this is not (that's my other car). Not complaining though - I wasn't looking for another Lexus.....

VodkanDiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta SEL TDI
2015 Jetta TDI rattle

Can anyone help me identify this rattle?

Here's a video of it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0BoUL-ZUt0

It's coming from the steering column area. It only happens at 1200 RPM and only when accelerating.

I already checked the springs on the steering column. Checked the heating vents. I can't figure out where it's coming from. This mystery is driving me crazy.

CODE4LS1

TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI, 2015 TDI Jetta SEL
- Rattle on lower sterring column
- Rattle at or near heater/HVAC in dash
- Rattle on RR parcel shelf
- Rattle somewhere around shift cables....rattle resonates through gear selector
- Really annoying rattle in RF door panel....it's obvious a retaining clip of some kind either fell to the bottom of the door or is vibrating against something else metal.

I need to try to make time to address all those, as orchestrating a trip to the dealer only to be told they couldn't replicate the problem is not what I want to experience.

I still like it.

Last edited:

ams

TDI
Jetta
Was the rattle there from day 1 or did it develop soon afterwards. My brand new Jetta TDI (30 km) car has a very noticeable rattle coming from the engine area. The car is with the dealer service which will be trying to locate and fix the rattle. They won't replace the car even though it had the defect present when they handed be the keys.

CODE4LS1

TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI, 2015 TDI Jetta SEL
All the rattles developed (or became noticeable) starting at around 700-800 miles.

chouff

How very interesting! My new 2015 Jetta had a "rattling" noise that seemed to be coming from the glove box area. Began when the car had about 1.3K on it. The noise manifested itself at around 1500rpm. It got worse as time went on and eventually became really obnoxious. It took the mechanics about a week to determine that it was the heater box and to get the parts to fix it. Seems ok now but keeping my fingers crossed. Never heard back from VW as to what in the heater box was causing the rattle.

steve1479

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
There was a thread on here about the HVAC box rattle. Under the dash above the gas pedal, there's the metal coolant tube that feeds the heater box. There's a large, boxy, metal "U" clip that holds the pipe in place.

The OP said to rotate the clip 90-180 degrees and it stopped his issue. I tried it and it somewhat worked.

I've got most of these too. My 2015 has 40,000 KM on the clock now so I think any rattles that are going to pop up have already.

I've got the heater box / HVAC rattle (sounds like it's coming from behind the dash cluster), driver & passenger door rattle when playing music, rear parcel shelf rattle, and an annoying rattle / squeek from around where the climate control / gear shifter are (probably something with the trim)

I just haven't had time to get to any of them.

jboulukos

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
About 5500 miles on my car now and I have had the rattles stated in the headliner from the passenger side (at all speeds), and an acceleration rattle below the steering column. When I put my hand on the headliner, it stops (obviously). I've tried small cork pads between the headliner where it wraps around the sunroof and it temporarily dampened the noise but now it's back and seems to be getting worse.

ajjl2015

TDI
2015 Jetta S 6M
I took my 2015 Jetta S 6M in for the 10K mile service and told them about the rattle when accelerating usually between 1400 and 2200 rpm in the steering column/dash area, when I got it back the service mngr told me there was a service bulletin on the rattle and a metal clamp was being pressed against plastic upon acceleration. All is well now and the cabin is quiet.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I took my 2015 Jetta S 6M in for the 10K mile service and told them about the rattle when accelerating usually between 1400 and 2200 rpm in the steering column/dash area, when I got it back the service mngr told me there was a service bulletin on the rattle and a metal clamp was being pressed against plastic upon acceleration. All is well now and the cabin is quiet.
I too had this in my 2012 (funny that the same problem has been going on for 3 yrs). Anyways....they fixed it....it came back 2 years later....now that Im out of warranty I turn up my radio instead. Maybe one day I'll get to it.

jboulukos

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Ok, I fixed the rattle in the headliner by wedging a folded up piece of paper between the headliner and the passenger column between the two doors. Seems to have fixed the problem. Yes, there's a small gap a few mm wide and you can see the white paper although I have it flush with the headliner and column. Having no rattles in the headliner is worth it though!!!!