Timing belt service by dealer under warranty

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Over the last several months, my CVCA has had a developing issue with a cold startup squeak from the engine bay. I removed the serpentine belt to rule out tensioner, AC, and alt. to no avail. It had to be something in the timing belt path... to me it sounded like a dry bearing. Long story short, it's been to the dealer 4x to the point where they finally called in the "Quality Guy" (VWoA employee). He advised them to replace all timing belt components, after which, the issue was finally gone.

They "scoped" the rollers and tensioner before, but found no issue. My take is that they couldn't scope the water pump because there's no good placement for the scope when the engine is running. (Oilhammer?)

The upside, new/free timing belt components at 38k. The downside, we don't know for sure what was truly the cause. Posting here for future readers to consider.

cliballe

TDI
2010 Jetta
I'd be more concerned over all the TTY hardware that should have been replaced and is not listed on your invoice. There's lots of important hardware that is one time use and should be replaced during a timing belt service.

I'd say if they "scoped" the rollers and tensioner then they could have checked the water pump too. It's all right there once the covers are off. Who knows. :confused:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I'd be more concerned over all the TTY hardware that should have been replaced and is not listed on your invoice. There's lots of important hardware that is one time use and should be replaced during a timing belt service.

I'd say if they "scoped" the rollers and tensioner then they could have checked the water pump too. It's all right there once the covers are off. Who knows. :confused:
Good eye on the TTY stuff. Already verified that bit. The problem with the water pump is that there's no stationary bolt when the engine is running. You can place the scope on the housing/flange, but you'll get a lot of other noise there as well. Again, just speculation. Car is purring right along just fine now.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
IIRC, the EX on the W/P part number means rebuilt. Oh and don't forget that the dealer may have used the "Mark and Pray" method to set the timing instead of the factory specified timing tools. Gotta love it..............